BMI vs Body Fat%

Options
I understand that BMI is a simple equation to figure out how obese/overweight one is. According to BMI I am 29.6. I also own a scale that measures your body fat% and it varies slightly day to day but is about 33.5% on average. Does that mean that I am actually fatter (have more body fat) than the BMI equation suggests? Wouldn't those numbers be the same if that were the case? Should I shoot for a lower goal weight because of that? I am currently shooting for 155 because according to the BMI I would be in the healthy weight rage. I am 26 yrs old 5'7 and 190lbs.

Replies

• Nemlein
    Nemlein Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    BMI is ONLY a proportion between your height and weight. It doesn't take body composition into account at all. A lot of experts have said that BMI measurements is an outdated measurement that doesn't actually mean much. People are built very differently, and people of the same height and weight will have varying body fat percentage due to a person's build. I say don't shoot for a concrete number - shoot for health. While body fat percentage is a better indicator of fitness, keep in mind that at-home scales aren't always accurate. The best measurement of body fat is those horrible calipers, which I find sort of humiliating in an archaic torture device sort of way.
  • suzooz
    suzooz Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    bump

I have just recently started to use my fat% on my scale, and am interested in hearing the responses as well.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    BMI is not a very useful metric of fitness at all. It does not take into account the size of your frame at all.
  • swankyclanky
    Options
    My bmi tells me I am obese and I'm 5'9 1/2 and I take a size 10-12 and my measurements are 40, 32, 42.. I need to lose weight but I am not obese... It is definitely not a good thing to go by!!!
  • Rinny_D
    Rinny_D Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Agreed all. BMI is just a tool to assist in seeing how healthy a person is based merely on the their height and weight in relation with each other. Body fat % is much better to go on, but no one measurement can be used to class a persons health as a whole.

A combination of the following tools and measurements should be used to determine your overall health :)

-BMI
    -Body fat %
    -Measurements of body parts using a tape measure
    -Mobility and movement of joints and body
    -Flexibility
    -Agility
    -Strength
    -Endurance
    -Fitness
    -Metabolism
    -Hydration
    -Internal health
    -Toileting (#2's) Daily - suggests adequate fibre and good toilet routine
    -Good O2 levels in your haemoglobin
    -Analysis of urine, faeces, and blood to determine levels of nutrition, internal health, immunity
    -A mirror- are you happy with how you look
    -Mental health

And most of all education and knowing your own body.

:)