C25K and hurt knee

Options
I started the C25K last week. After my session on Saturday, my knee was killing me! I put some ice on it that afternoon and it was feeling better. Well, today it started hurting again about half way through. I wanted to finish the session, so I just slowed down alot. Now I can barely walk on it.
Should I rest a few days? Or just try to walk for the next few days?
I was not active at all before this, so maybe I just started too much at once. I just don't want to push it too much and wind up seriously hurting myself.
Now I don't know what to do. I want to keep up with the plan because I am motivated and excited about doing it. But I also don't want to hurt myself the first time I get serious about running and ruin it forever.
Any advice?!

Replies

• lazywriter
    Options
    You're hurt, you rest. It's pretty simple. When you're back to 100%, you go again. Do some weights in the meantime.

Did you stretch before and after running?
  • paperbagprincess
    Options
    OH geez! Runners knee! I'm taking a running clinic right now and THAT is a big problem for a lot of runners! I get an ache there once n' a while. I've been shown stretches that are suppose to loosen up the muscle there and will help ur knee. However it's kinda hard to explain. I will look for a good link and send it to you so you can see a picture. That particular part of ur body is naturally tight, and running definitely does not make it better. Which is why I've been told stretching before and after is very important. Also, if it's really bad, you'll have to see a therapist about it. Another girl I know who just started running had it bad and she couldn't run for 3 wks :/

Like I said.. I will look for the stretch... and send you the link. Good luck with it... Running really is a TON of fun and it's great to push urself to different goals and challenges :)
  • geewizzamanda357
    geewizzamanda357 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I didn't stretch before. But it starts with a brisk walk to get warmed up. Maybe I still needed to stretch?
  • moylie
    moylie Posts: 195
    Options
    What kind of shoes are you wearing? If they are old, worn out shoes, that could be adding to your problem. The C25K program is designed to gradually increase, so it's most likely your biomechanics, and footwear. I completed the program last year, after NEVER having run. It was the best thing I ever did. I also went through two pairs of shoes in the process of completing all my races last summer. Footwear is SUPER important.
  • geewizzamanda357
    Options
    Thanks! I will try the stretches and hope they will help :) I don't want to get frustrated with it so soon.
  • KikiinVA
    KikiinVA Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    GOOD SHOES! I highly encourage you to go to a running store and make sure you have proper shoes for your feet. That said, rest a bit. Ice is good. At the beginning you should only be doing 15 or 30 second runs with 45 second or so walks...slow it down if you need to. And lazy is correct - stretching is very important. If you go on the C25K facebook page lots of people repeat weeks. If you can't walk, how do you expect your knee to want to run? The program is good, I almost finished it last year (dropped out the last week when the heat just got too brutal). Best of luck.
  • geewizzamanda357
    Options
    I bought a new pair of Nike running shoes. I knew that anything I already had would be worn out lol. I was wondering if I needed to get fitted for shoes? I just didn't wantto spend a ton of money it just starting out.
  • geewizzamanda357
    Options
    This whole dieting and exercising thing is all new to me! I have always been above the healthy weight for my height and age, I just didn't care before. My weight got to over 200 pounds when I was pregnant and I had to buy a size 14 after I had my baby. That was when I really realized I had serious changes to make. I am ready and willing to do just about anything to get healthy!
  • KikiinVA
    KikiinVA Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    The coolrunnings.com site where the C25K program is on also gives a link to some good stretches.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_1/126.shtml

lots of other good info there as well.
  • runlorirun
    runlorirun Posts: 389
    Options
    I bought a new pair of Nike running shoes. I knew that anything I already had would be worn out lol. I was wondering if I needed to get fitted for shoes? I just didn't wantto spend a ton of money it just starting out.

I was the same way, until I went to a store that specializes in running shoes and got a pair from there. They were a bit more than I had planned on spending, but they watched me walk and run and fit the shoes to the type of foot I have and how I walk/run. I have never had problems with any of the shoes I have gotten from there. For me the cost of the shoe outweighed the time I would have had to take off from injury. Also they worked with me for a good walking/running shoe combo.
  • paperbagprincess
    Options
    It's important to focus on ur IT Band. This video focuses on that with a few stretches starting at the 5min mark:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDhKVtkfnsg

The one I do has me sitting on the floor, my body at a 90 degree angle and I lift one leg over the other so one knee is up, and the foot is planted next to the other knee. The knee that is up should be slightly pressed towards the opposite shoulder. You won't feel this is ur knee, but ur IT Band will get a good stretch. I hope I explained that okay!
  • lazywriter
    Options
    I didn't stretch before. But it starts with a brisk walk to get warmed up. Maybe I still needed to stretch?

Yes. Do the 5 min walk so your muscles are warm and loose, STRETCH, then run. Cool down walk, then stretch again. Since doing this I've never had a shin splint again.