target heart rate & calorie burn...need explanation pls?

Options
Ok, so I hope I explain this properly. Last week I decided to do the "fat burn" program on the elliptical...for 1/2 hour I end up burning approx 225 calories (target heart rate 120). In the past I have done the "manual" program and would burn around 320 - 350 calories (heart rate approx 150). What is better, to work at a 65% of maximum heart rate and burn less calories or to get my sweat on and burn more calories??? Calories in vs. calories out right?? Any clarification would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• colorfulblusher
    Options
    good question! im wondering the same thing!
  • hyde1977
    hyde1977 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    HIgher the heart rate better the burn! Just watch the calories on the machines....they are anywhere from 100-150 higher then what you really burn! I have a HRM and tonight it told me over 750 calories burned and in face it was 629....most of the machines are like that!!!!

But overall you want to get your heart rate up, let it come down, and then work back up....You should really look to do both as it will be a different workout for your body! You do want to switch it up!
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,526 Member
    Options
    It has to do with the fact that you burn a higher percentage of fat at a lower heart rate. That is the old theory. If you do the math though, you find out that you burn more fat calories at the higher heart rate because you are burning more overall calories. So the higher heart rate is actually better. Do a little internet research, and I think you'll find that what I am saying makes sense.

I would always go with the higher calorie burn!
  • Fiedems
    Fiedems Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    At the "fat burning" level of cardio you burn fat as fuel easier. However, you burn less calories overall. If you rev it up to your target heart rate (very roughly aerobic range 220-age=x, then 70% and 80% of x gets your range) you burn less fat as immediate fuel but over all you burn more calories.

There are a lot of good articles about heart rate "zones".

ps. the above numbers are from memory as I am at work. I'm fairly confident of them, but please feel free to check out a good book/article!!
  • jmijaressf
    jmijaressf Posts: 215
    Options
    Ok, so I hope I explain this properly. Last week I decided to do the "fat burn" program on the elliptical...for 1/2 hour I end up burning approx 225 calories (target heart rate 120). In the past I have done the "manual" program and would burn around 320 - 350 calories (heart rate approx 150). What is better, to work at a 65% of maximum heart rate and burn less calories or to get my sweat on and burn more calories??? Calories in vs. calories out right?? Any clarification would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

There's two schools of thought on this.

One believes that you should just work out really hard because intense exercise burns more calories and revvs up your metabolish so that your body is still burning calories for a little after you're done exercising.

The other believes that you should stay in the lower heart zones because that will eventually burn fat once your body warms up from exercise.

After having trained with a heart rate monitor for the past few years, I think that both are right. You'll burn more calories in a shorter amount of time with more intense exercise, and you'll also burn that same amount of calories over a longer period of time with lower zone exercise.

The bottom line is how much time do you have to exercise?

I think the best solution is to mix up your workouts by doing some days with easy exercises at 70% MHR or below. And some days with intense exercise at 70% MHR or above. The reason being is that you do intense exercises and then have recovery days when you're not pushing your body too hard. During the work week since I have less time, I'll do some tempo runs at either a high running pace or high heart rate. On the weekend when I have more time, I'll do a long run at a lower heart rate because I have more time on the weekends and that's when I spend time building my endurance.
  • flipyourcoin
    Options
    The difference has to do with the energy source your body is utilizing during the exercise. When you work at 65% of your max heart rate your body uses its aerobic metabolic pathway and uses oxygen to burn fat as your energy source. When you bump up your heart rate it becomes more difficult for your body to pump oxygen to the muscles working. So what happens is your body switches to an anaerobic energy source which uses readily available glucose (sugar) in your blood and glycogen in muscles. Long story short- at 65% of max HR, you are burning more calories from fat. Also- using up a lot of sugar in your blood stream is going to cause you to feel very hungry, so even though your calories burned may be higher, you many end up eating more as a result. And if you don't eat more, you're probably at least going to be having bad sweet cravings. Also keep in mind- weight lifting burns the most fat and toned muscles increase metabolism. If you don't already do some weight lifting, you should really consider adding in to your workout routines!
  • babygurl48
    babygurl48 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options

When u work out at 65% of your heart rate, you are fat burning. in other words, u are losing weight. If u work out at 80% of your heart rate, you are doing cardio, and burning more calories. anything above that , then u are anaerobic. Anaerobic exercise is a short-lasting, high-intensity activity that uses your muscles at a high intensity for a short period of time. As a result, it can help:
    Develop stronger muscles, Improve your VO2 max (the highest amount of oxygen one can consume during exercise) and thus improve your cardio-respiratory fitness.
  • mmellor
    mmellor Posts: 146
    Options
    Thanks everyone! You've all shed some light on my question and given me some direction! Thanks again!