Any "seniors" out there trying to lose weight with MFP

Options
Are there any seniors ( 50 and over) trying to lose weight using MFP. Would like to hear how it's going. Any success stories or special problems?

Replies

• janicemcdonald11
    janicemcdonald11 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am 51 and would never consider myself a "senior"!!!!! (most people think I am 10 years younger) I have done fantastic on this program lost 13 pounds(15 is my goal) since the end of January. Don't think of yourself as a senior....think of yourself as someone that wants to get in shape:smile::smile:
  • Mustangsally1000
    Mustangsally1000 Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Yep! I will be 60 this year. I love it here. For the first time in about 20 years, I'm making progress. I've lost 10# so far, averaging a little over 1lb a week. I want to lose it slowly..I need it to say off this time. I have already reversed some damage to my heart, have lost inches, changed pant size. Working on changing a life time of bad habits. So much support, good ideas, even some bad ideas...everyone is so willing to help. Welcome aboard!!
  • BabyDuchess
    BabyDuchess Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Hi! I've lost 40 lbs since Dec. 2010. I've lost almost 4 pants sizes, 7" from my bust, 6" from my hips, 9 " from my waist, 3" from my arms and 4" from my thighs! I love this site because it keeps me focused and I never have to guess about my calories or my exercise burn. I plan out my meals on most days and I'm definitely having success.....good luck on your journey! :flowerforyou:
  • caterpillar2Butterfly
    Options
    I have been at this since sept.1010. It is harder for me to lose weight due to getting older, no thyroid and other health proublems.. However I am doing it. was in the 180s when started and am now 150s so it can be done with alot of hard work and determination. it just takes a bit longer and you cant give up and get frustrated..
  • socialite51
    Options
    :smooched: I'm a young senior and struggling with weight lost. Have been for years, but I have decided this is my time. Now that I've started my regiment I developed plantars fascaiitis. I'm not letting that stop me. I went to the Good Feet store and purchased a pair of insoles. Haven't used them yet, but I'm praying they do relief the pain. I am a conquereor and this will not stop me. Please feel free to add me as a friend
  • VixFit2011
    VixFit2011 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Turning 65 this week and my doctor recommended this site. Love it! I'm eating healthier and am much more motivated.
  • dcjulian
    dcjulian Posts: 33
    Options
    I am 50 (51 next month) but I do not consider myself a senior. I have been logging my food since January. I have dieted all my adult life and find it more difficult to lose weight as I get older. For the first time in my life I don't feel as I am dieting. I walk about an hour a day and am eating plenty. No the weight is not coming off as fast as it used to when I was younger but I feel so much better do it this way. I wish they had this program years ago because with the message boards I am learning so much about healthy eating and exercise. For the first time in my life I am eating healthy, making good choices when I go out to eat, and getting plenty of exercise.
  • Gettinfit2
    Gettinfit2 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I'm 50, consider myself middle age, but never considered myself a senior. I joine MFP over a year ago and did not start to really use the site until two months ago. I've lost 12 pounds in those two months. I had to accept that I had to make a lifestyle change.
  • BeckyRayJohnson
    Options
    I am 53, been over weight only the last 13 yrs. Gained due to medications and then kept it from poor habits and stressful life changes. Learned well how to come up with excuses and to just let it all go. Now I have been on a medical treatment over the winter that helped me lose 50 lbs. Then I saw this site and decided it might help me keep that off and continue the last twenty to my ideal. WEll I had success and great will power the first month ..lost ten lbs too. Then I had to go out of touch with a computer and out of town...ate food someone else bought and fixed, just lost it. Now I am struggling to regain that enthusiasm I had in the first. It is hard to make myself take it seriously right now when my clothes are all falling off having been last summers clothes. We are into summer stuff and I cant keep it one. Cant afford to replace right now so even my drawers are falling off. Anyway, long story short, I am struggling but I am still here. That is part of the dicipline I have to keep. I dont lie about my meals because I recognize I could not learn with out it and I log honestly about exercise..or lack there of so I can understand what makes the most impact. Its hard, joints ache, lungs feel as if they will explode for a while and with out the hrm I was afraid I would blow a gasket lol. I commend all you who are here and all those who have found progress in changing the way they live. Scales dont tell it all do they? Nice to meet you all. :flowerforyou:
  • nanaBeth55
    Options
    Hi! 56 years and still counting! I celebrate every one of them too! I've been with MFP just since March 22 but I've really benefited from the support and tools of accountability provided on this site. It's a wonderful, supportive group of people! Please feel free to "friend request" and send a short note and I'll be glad to add you! The more friends you have, the more support available.

Losing weight has never been easy for me but after 40, I really battled and mostly lost! Now, I'm focused on living a healthy life rather than "dieting" just to lose weight. I've lost 10 lbs in a month and I can tell you that's never happened before which is awesome because I've eaten plenty of food and really been amazed at how just being aware of what I choose and why I choose it!

Good luck and welcome aboard! Get ready for a great trip!! :flowerforyou:
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    yep im 57 have lost 22 and have120 to go
  • kama5
    kama5 Posts: 11
    Options
    Hi - yep am in late 50's and just starting on this trip - want to lose 7Kg -(not sure what that is in lbs)..... only started 4 days ago so will see how things look in a couple of weeks time. My main problem in the past has been lack of motivation so hopefully, this site will help with that also.
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I'm 60 and started MFP on Memorial Day. I like how easy the site is to use and the message boards. I am starting at over 200 pounds, so have a long way to go. I've broken my goal down to working one month at a time. I only want to weigh monthly as it becomes an emotional event and I'm an emotional eater.