Exercises for Asthma Sufferers?

Options
I'm 18, trying to lose the 31 lb I gained thanks to anti-depressants. I am now eating healthy and exercising regularly, but I can't last long on cardio machines. It seems the only thing I can do without needing my inhaler is walk on a treadmill. I would like to burn more calories than the measly 300 or so I burn on the treadmill (and that's after an hour). Any asthma sufferers have good exercises that don't make you need your inhaler?

Replies

• becca0211
    becca0211 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I would talk to your doctor. Maybe you can adjust your preventative medication so you don't get to the point of needing a rescue inhaler.

Good Luck!
  • karlowe
    karlowe Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I would talk to your doctor. My daughter's doctor told her that exercise was good for her asthma and would improve it. She now runs 3 miles a day and plays soccer for her high school. She rarley has to use an inhaler now and hasnt taken her medicine in years. Good luck and dont give up.
  • Adudynski
    Adudynski Posts: 31
    Options
    I have suffered with asthma my whole life! I do know that the more you work out the better control you have over asthma... I ran track in high school with a coach who was great at training me catered to my asthma. Now that I am older and have about 40-50 lbs to lose...running (esp outside) really can mess with me... I have noticed that walking uphill on the tred burns just as many cals and seems to be better on my lungs. I am also doing the C25K thing to try and get my lungs prepared to run again

my coach always told me to just run as much as I could that day and then walk 2 times that much.. and I eventually ran miles! I was long distant runner
  • HollyLayman
    HollyLayman Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I have asthma too...and I asked the same question to my doctor. I was told that after I build up an endurance to the treadmill...I will have to use my inhaler less and less and that I'll even be able to build up speed. I have actually had positive results by doing so, and I also seem to be okay indoors doing things such as Aerobic DVDs, pilates, yoga...things to that nature. Nothing that is just AMAZING...but as you do them for a period of time, it's almost like your lungs start to get used to it or something?! I'm not real sure how it works...but that's what happens with me. Let me know how it goes for you!!! Good luck!!! :)
  • Suzannejl
    Suzannejl Posts: 212
    Options
    I am interested in the reply for my daugher.

FYI I just learned this one tonight, will be putting it into practice myself tomorrow:

"The optimal workout is a 10-minute warm-up on a low-impact cardio machine followed by 30 minutes of weights and then 30 minutes of intense cardio."

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/training-day/201104/warm-cardio-then-go-weights-right-wrong

Don't forget that strength training also burns cardio calories, mfp let;s you log them as well.

Good luck!
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options
    you have to strengthen your lungs in order to use your inhaler less. and actually, my doctor told me to use it right before cardio to prevent needing it during so you can push through and work your lungs. you might still have to build up to doing the cardio you want for the time span you want, but you gotta start somewhere, right?
  • jen11232
    jen11232 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I have had asthma my whole life and while I'm pretty sure I won't ever able to run for an hour, other cardio doesn't stop me. Talk to your doctor and try some different meds until you find the magic combo that works for you. Until then, use the treadmill and keep your inhaler handy- no shame in that!
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Ok every single person is different, so I would talk to your doctor.
    If you have exercise induced asthma you will likely always need your inhaler before exercise, no matter how fit you get.

I have run 2 half marathons and I had a horrid run tonight because I forgot my inhaler.
    That being said... there is nothing wrong with using your inhaler before exercise.
    Also if you start to wheeze or spasm... keep breaths and pursed lip breathing will help.

Please do not let your asthma hold you back ... I have pretty severe asthma plus exercise induced (use my rescue 2-3x per day) and I have managed to push my body to do things I never thought possible!
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    to answer your original question. Any exercise.
    you have to strengthen your lungs in order to use your inhaler less. and actually, my doctor told me to use it right before cardio to prevent needing it during so you can push through and work your lungs. you might still have to build up to doing the cardio you want for the time span you want, but you gotta start somewhere, right?

This^

Albuterol is after all a steroid. You have a scrip for it. Use it. I've had asthama all my life.

I will echo what every one has said. The better shape I'm in, the less I have to use my inhaler. The lungs are like any other muscle in the body. They have to work to get strong, but you don't want to stress it too much too early. Start slow and keep stepping up the work outs as you get stronger.

Really fhe most effective treatment for my asthama has been....running!
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    to answer your original question. Any exercise.

This^

Albuterol is after all a steroid. You have a scrip for it. Use it. I've had asthama all my life.

I will echo what every one has said. The better shape I'm in, the less I have to use my inhaler. The lungs are like any other muscle in the body. They have to work to get strong, but you don't want to stress it too much too early. Start slow and keep stepping up the work outs as you get stronger.

Really fhe most effective treatment for my asthama has been....running!

Albuterol is not a steroid - its a beta2 agonist that stimulate the bronchioles to relax.
  • ravenclawseekergirl
    ravenclawseekergirl Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Hey long term asthma sufferer here exercise is one of my biggest triggers (you name it it triggers me) so i find it hard to do anything intense. Things like swimming are good the moist warm air makes it easier for you to breathe. Like other people said pilates , yoga, dancing is also good. I used to do ballroom dancing when i was a kid. Walking trails look for begginers ones and work your way up. Jogging.
    We can do anything! After all Paula Radcliffe runs marathons and she has asthma!