Sometimes it feels like life gets in the way!

Options
This is so hard trying to lose the weight, work out, working full time and going to school full time... yet I know it will be rewarding it in the long run ! I just hope that I am strong enough! I know I have so many cals to reach and I always set small goals first but it just feels like everything is piling up! how do you guys deal with the stress of every gates and trying to get your weight and health in control? I also struggle with cravings I'm always craving all the wrong things but, then again who does craves the right thing? how do you guys deal with the everyday cravings. I am relatively new to this new lifestyles and I have lost 10 pound in 30 days but as of right now. I can honestly tell you that it's hard. I'm just having a hard time knowing the difference of knowing what types of things to cook that are low cal low & sugars. any advice MFP peps??? Please share... also feel free to add me I need all the motivation I can get lexy83 .

Replies

• Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    I do a few things to deal with cravings.

1. I don't restrict any type of food, just portion size (for instance, right now my husband is making single servings of apple crisp.. there won't be any leftovers, so no bingeing afterwards).

2. I keep 100 calorie treats on hand. I don't eat them every day, but just knowing they're there and I *can* have them helps immensely.

3. Even when I have a bad day, I still keep going. For instance, I may eat too much chocolate at work one day. Even so, I make the rest of my choices for that day as healthy as possible, and if I'm feeling up to it I'll do a longer workout session after work.
  • Belloise
    Belloise Posts: 7
    Options
    You know its hard. Really it's not easy for anyone. I battle it everyday. I have 3 kids 6 years old whom i homeschool, a 3 year old and a 3 month old, so i've certainly got my hands full. Its a journey and sometimes we fall we just have to never give up. At the end of the day this has to be for you. You have to want this more then anything or it won't work.

so far what i found works for me is drinking more water.
    i've become a vegetarian which helps me be more cautious of what i eat.
    tracking and recording all my foods.
    and exercising whenever possible if its 8am or 8pm,
    if you cant give yourself 20-30 minutes a day just for you time. You are neglecting yourself.
    Again this is a journey and its gonna take a long time, the weight didn't come one over night and it won't go away over night either.

Wishing the best of luck! you can do it! :)
  • MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Life does get in the way sometimes and that is ok. What is not ok is making excuses about life getting in the way when you have time to sit at home and watch TV or something similar instead of working out. Just make sure you truly have no time when taking that 'time off'.

For cravings I found they went away after I eliminated refined sugars from my foods. I stripped down to lean protein, complex carbs (like brown rice, veggies, and whole wheat products) and good fats (like nuts). Refined sugars and white flour products are horrible at triggering the bodies 'eat' response (cravings).
  • calmmomw3minimeez
    calmmomw3minimeez Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    You may feel overwhelmed right now, but I think that some of it could be just your mindset. Don't get me wrong, I do know that life gets in the way when you have so many responsibilities and it seems like you have to keep putting yourself on the back burner(I know this all too well.) I'm a housewife with 3 kids, 10, 4 and 2, and I homeschool also which takes up A LOT of my day. You just have to tell yourself that your weight loss journey and getting fit is just gonna have to fit into your schedule. It may take a good bit of trial and error, but believe me, it can be done. Before I got on MFP, I would find myself sitting on the couch WATCHING exercise videos on the health channels and later wonder to myself why I didn't get up and try to actually do the exercises...it was because I just wasn't ready. Now my mind is made up, but when I first got started, it was very difficult trying to include MYSELF into my already seemingly hectic lifestyle, but I just kept at it being determined that this time, I was gonna do it no matter what and I've finally got a decent schedule going for me and the kids. What I'm trying to say is just make up your mind what you want to do and how you want to do it, set your goals and go from there. A determined mind can accomplish many things. It's all in the way that you look at it. Try now to feel like everything is coming down on you at once(I know it's not easy - at first) and look at is as this needs to be done, I'm gonna do it, and concentrate on the positive aspects of your journey and your life instead of the negative. You can do this and you'll be glad you did once you begin to experience the benefits of your hard work...good luck and I wish you much success!:smile:
  • muriah2
    muriah2 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    You're certainly not alone in feeling this way! MFP helps me fight cravings. I stop what I'm doing when I get a craving and I think it through. How will I feel after I eat this? Will I regret it if I do? Will I regret it if I don't? What can I have instead? I'm a huuuge chocolate lover, so I bought these 60 cal sugar free chocolate mousse cups, I have Kashi granola bars with chocolate in them to snack on, usually just that little bit is enough to get me through. I also never leave the house without snacks tucked in my purse, my car, my pockets...eating every few hours, even a little bit, keeps metabolism regulated and keeps hunger away. Also sometimes it is ok to give in. Do I plan to go my whole life never again having a Reese's cup? Hell no! :) I just won't eat 4 at a time like I used to. Its important I think, to allow yourself to still indulge ib our favorite things now and then, as long as we watch our portion size and stay in control. Its silly, but after a while its so empowering to be able to say, no thanks, i'll pass on that...or to be able to stop and be satisfied with a sliver of cheesecake instead of the whole thing.
  • slapshotgolf
    slapshotgolf Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    We all feel this way from time to time. Truth is, not being a healthy is another thing that gets in the way. I find myself more settled, calmer, and focused since my weight loss, and the fact that I feel better makes it easier for me to deal with the demands of work, family, and life in general. You don't need to spend 2 hours every day at the gym to deliver results. 30 minutes a day working out at home is all that is often needed to deliver results. If you want to make the time, you'll find it somewhere in your schedule. Cravings - a few posters have already given you some good ideas. The fact is that you have to decide what you want more - the food that got you here, or the healthy you waiting at the end of this journey.
  • Leopardliz
    Leopardliz Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Even small workouts are good. I see at as burning some calories is better than no calories. Count your steps when ur at school or workoit for a tiny bit. Use the stairs instead of the elevator or park a little further to take extra steps. It makes a big difference. For cravings... Still havent figured it out but keep lots of fresh fruits and veggies available. I have this thing that i have to chew or i feel hungry so i get mints and sugar free gum. Alon with veggies to stop the urges