exercises for knee/leg past injuries ?!

Options
sarah307
sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
hey everyone!

Alright, long story short = i've had lots of surgeries on my leg and have had two knee replacements on the same leg.

so that limits me with exercises like running, etc.

Let's start a list of exercises that are knee and leg friendly! For those of us who have disabilities of the lower limbs!

*My favorite thing is the elliptical! It gives me the same cardio workout as close as running could - and is easy on my leg!

what are some other exercises that you guys have found that work for you and your limitation?????

Replies

• teebeegeebee
    teebeegeebee Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    i use a cross trainer - this has rebuilt my fitness and now i walk and dare i say it i am trying the c25k programme !

all down to starting off slowly and rebuilding mostly my confidence

good luck - try a cross trainer to go with your eliptical

also look at some of the simple workouts - non impact and mix these up - i am also starting "the spartacus workout"

good luck
  • WomanofWorth
    WomanofWorth Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    walking, tai chi, yoga and water aerobics work well for me. I have an ACL reconstruction.

I also found that this DVD works well for strengthening the muscles around the knee:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_4_36?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=strong+knees+dvd+by+chantal+donnelly&sprefix=strong+knees+dvd+by+chantal+donnelly
  • WarmFuzzy
    WarmFuzzy Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi Sarah, 2 years ago I had surgery on my knee & used walking to recover & strengthen, while also getting exercise. I liked it because it was something I could also use to measure my progress, by how far or fast I was able to walk without discomfort.

Eliptical is good, I also have a Gazelle machine that I use, very friendly on knee joints.
  • crewellademel
    crewellademel Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I'm a total fan of my reclining excercise bike. :flowerforyou:
  • sharon_1970
    Options
    Sort of related... I saw my chiropractor today and mentioned I have been experiencing knee pain which has worsened since I started running. She recommended calcium, magnesium, and vitamin C - in addition to the glucosamine I am already taking. Maybe it will help?
  • ToniRee
    ToniRee Posts: 13
    Options
    Definately the elliptical. I've had 6 knee surgeries, and am also unable to run.
  • sarah307
    sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    awesome, thanks! I'll have to look more into the things that you all mentioned!

and my injury was like 5 years ago. i was in a wheelchair for a year! had to relearn how to walk - in physical therapy for three years. so it's been about two years since i recovered. So i have learned new ways to strengthen quads with not as much impact..

but i still have lots of pain daily and lots of limitations. So a lot of these ideas are great! -- pilates is another thing that has helped me ( i used to do upper arm pilates when i was in my wheelchair hahah! )

but the water aerobics idea made me remember swimming!!