running

Options
When were you able to start running on the elliptical and not being scared im still 362 ive lost 27lbs from 389 but now im getting to were i wanna try running or jogging? how do i work my way up to that point>????

Replies

• SugarNtheRaw
    SugarNtheRaw Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Just listen to your body! Go a little bit faster, and if it feels right, a little more. If you start getting tired or uncomfortable in a not so good way, back off a bit. Worked for me! Good luck!
  • Laurathabomb
    Laurathabomb Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    There is a great program for new runners / joggers.

google.... - couch to 5K running program - and it should bring up info on it... it's totally free to print out.

I have used this and it works great! Good luck!
  • EricInArlington
    EricInArlington Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    just do it!! :) whats stopping you?
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    just do it!! :) whats stopping you?

What he said.
  • peanutrenee
    peanutrenee Posts: 179
    Options
    start with a walk then kick up the speed till ur at a good pace.. go untill u cant, turnn the pace down let ur heart rate come down walk for about 8 min then kick it back up... but always push urself just a little more..a few seconds or a min.. just that little push will help
  • slansdown
    slansdown Posts: 94
    Options
    I don't want to be a wet blanket, but be careful. You can break bones by stress fractures if you run or even if you walk long distances with extra weight. Hikers with big packs can get them. Just ask your doctor. You can burn a lot of calories by walking. the last thing you want to do is break a leg or throw out your back.

do not go too fast. This is how people get injured.
  • Nonvictus
    Options
    I would highly recommend reading a few books/articles on running and technique. Many people who start running, tend to jog (e.g. strike the ground in a rocking, and very jarring, heal-to-toe motion). Focus on starting very short distances - like a quarter of a mile - and "toe-striking" - this is a much more stable, and cushioning way of running which protects your knees, back, and legs. You'll feel it in your calvs too. don't over exert your muscles - I say again, start out very slow, and short distances. work up to it gradually - over weeks, or you might cause a stress fracture in your shin or feet. Your muscles need to strengthen in those areas if you're not a regular runner.

I would also recommend reading "Born to Run" - it might change your life!

Check this out too: So inspirational!!
    http://www.ksdk.com/news/article/253767/9/Man-loses-nearly-200-pounds-to-race-in-Go-St-Louis-marathon
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    I used to be 320+ and know how you feel... but keep on moving! I started walking and kept pushing for more speed. I'd push it up a notch every so often until it was more like jogging than walking. Take it slow but the more you run walk or jog, the more you move... the better you will feel (especially when that weight starts flying off.)

Good Luck on your journey!
  • krystleRD
    krystleRD Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone great advice,, and whats stopping me is im scared ill fly off the darn machine and end up the next machine lol.. but seriously my weight i finally got up to 2.7 the other day and actually walked for 30 minutes without being tired... i know ill get there..but im at the point im ready now.. just need a extra push.
  • believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I don't want to be a wet blanket, but be careful. You can break bones by stress fractures if you run or even if you walk long distances with extra weight. Hikers with big packs can get them. Just ask your doctor. You can burn a lot of calories by walking. the last thing you want to do is break a leg or throw out your back.

This. Without sounding rude, you have some excess weight on your frame and you could REALLY hurt yourself by attempting to do an activity that your body isn't ready for. You're likely coming out of a sedentary-activity level, so to increase activity to one of the highest-intensity exercises out there may not be advisable. You will really be putting strain on your knees and ankles if you start to run. Try walking, power walking, and tackling hills.

Stress fractures and ankle sprains are SO common with running. I've experienced them, and I'm at a healthy weight. The last thing you want is an injury that'll sideline you for weeks (or months). Please, consult your doctor first. If not that, then take it slower until you drop a few more pounds (which will be soon!!).

:flowerforyou:
  • krystleRD
    krystleRD Posts: 188 Member
    Options

This. Without sounding rude, you have some excess weight on your frame and you could REALLY hurt yourself by attempting to do an activity that your body isn't ready for. You're likely coming out of a sedentary-activity level, so to increase activity to one of the highest-intensity exercises out there may not be advisable. You will really be putting strain on your knees and ankles if you start to run. Try walking, power walking, and tackling hills.

Stress fractures and ankle sprains are SO common with running. I've experienced them, and I'm at a healthy weight. The last thing you want is an injury that'll sideline you for weeks (or months). Please, consult your doctor first. If not that, then take it slower until you drop a few more pounds (which will be soon!!).

Ive always been active just never a runnner.. thanks for the advice..
  • believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    Options

Ive always been active just never a runnner.. thanks for the advice..

I'm just looking out for you. Active or not, running is a much different activity from other exercises. It's one of the highest intesity ones out there. Even athletes at a healthy body weight experience injuries/problems from running every now and then. With excess weight, the risk is exponentially higher. Don't give up, just be aware. Your health and safety is the most important! :smile: