I'm a food addict

Options
Hello everyone! I'm fairly new to MFP so, here I go! I'm hoping if I can confess on here, no one will judge me. After all, that is what we all are affraid of, isn't it?

Anyways. My name is Alicia, and I've been a food addict all of my life. From cupcakes, pies, cookies, brownies, steak, cheese, baked potatoes, etc... You name it, I love it! Not to mention that my mother is an awesome cook and baker. (I swear, she could cook a shoe, and it would taste good!) Living there for the twenty plus years I did, I learned to cook like her. Now, not only do I eat like a fool, but I also cook like a fool. I am always trying to find ways to make things taste better, or richer, something. Now, weighing 308 pounds, I've realized I need to stop! I cook for a family of 6, there is only four of us, two of us can eat real food, one eats jarred baby food, and the other eats whatever she's in the mood for. I waste a lot of food. Not one of us eat left-overs, so after I pawn everything off on my neighbors, in-laws, and my parents, I throw the rest away. And, if I crave certain things, I will eat them until I cannot eat any more. I'm a fast eater because I am always on the go. I honestly cannot control myself at times. It sucks. If my daughter don't eat it, I usually will just to try and not throw EVERYTHING away.

I want to know how to control my eating. I don't even realize how much I'm eating until it has been way over what a normal person eats!

Also, I need to learn how to cook healthy for myself and my family. My husband also struggles with his weight, and I don't want to be the cause of his early death from my pure vein clogging cooking. I need to not only better myself, but my family also. I can really use as much advise as possible. Any suggestions will be greatly appreiciated!!!

To everyone who stuggles with their weight daily, and hates their self: Good luck. I'm doing my best to change, and I pray that we all will succeed and overcome our weight. Even if it is only 5 or 10 pounds.

Replies

• Bugg207
    Bugg207 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I had to change the way I cooked when I moved out of my parents house. I stopped cooking with left over bacon grease and half a block of cheese. I did little changes first; less cheese, Pam or lite sprays, fat free milk and whole wheat breads. That little bit helped a lot. I still end up making too much food and to keep from eating it lay out portions and tubberware the rest right away, before I can go back for seconds, thirds or "oh hell I'll just finish it" I also make us use the left overs, I put them in our lunches and have one night a week that is left over night

I also went through finishing the food my daughter didnt. It took a while, and now only really traps me when we go out. I always put her left overs in the fridge and tell her she cant have anything else til that is gone. It was hard to not just scarf it down, after all its only 2 nuggets, or half a sandwich, or some fries... I was raised to not waste food, so its really hard.
  • mamma3monkeys
    Options
    from a mom to a mom - the one thing I say to myself when I look at what's being wasted on the plates is "I AM NOT A GARBAGE DISPOSAL!" It has helped me because even though I may not think I'm wasting it when I'm eating it because they aren't - it is a waste because I DON'T NEED IT EITHER!! I once offered DH something one of our 3 year old twins didn't eat and he was like "fine.... I'll eat it." and I took a hard look at him and said "Are you even hungry? Do you even want it?" he said he didn't and I told him to stop being the disposal then too, lol!

I know certain things aren't so awesome the next day but it would save you all so much money if you started to make it a goal to have at least one leftover night.
  • abaker768
    abaker768 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Thank you soooo much guys. I know it's litlle things that help. My biggest hurdle is work! I work straight steady nights, 7p to 7a and eating the wrong thing is soooooo easy to do. We call it graizing, every department has some sort of junk, non-healthy buffett of fatness laying around! So, I do try to pack my left overs for lunch, but I still end up ordering out! I'm doing my best not to bring money to work. (That and there is a thief running around so it will be much better for me!) Feel free to add me if ya want!
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Support for Binge Eating Disorder aka BED
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/216083-support-for-binge-eating-disorder

Food Addicts Anonymous
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/184627-food-addicts-anonymous?page=4#posts-2957446

Please join one or both of them for immediate support & help. BED thread is larger, FAA is a smaller group, but many people post at both.
  • trouble615
    trouble615 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel - I too feel like I am addicted to food (I can overeat anything - even veggies) - a while back I learned it wasn't so much about the food but the feeling I crave - it was(is) my drug of choice - I am a year away from the big 50 and am trying to get healthier - the past couple weeks I have been stuck on my couch due to foot surgery - guess what I do when I'm bored? yep - eat (& smoke) - this site has really helped - without a laptop I did not log in at all the past 2 weeks - no accountability = no thought eating for me -
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I am also an avid cook and like things to taste fantastic, which many times involves lots of fat! Start with small changes. Try cooking healthier meals two or three times a week. I like the recipes on the website Eatingwell.com Also, find small changes you can make in your cooking. Do you start out with a few tablespoons of oil in the pan to cook chicken? Cut it down to one tablespoon and MEASURE IT OUT (free pours will kill you!). Use cooking spray. Cut back on cheese. Make little tweaks that won't completely throw you for a loop. When you cook, portion everything out on the plates and bring it to the table. No going back for seconds or thirds.

Sometimes baby steps are the best way to get you going on your journey!