Feel Myself Slipping... Need support.

Options
There have been days where I have either gone over my calories a little bit or not exercised but never on the same day. Until Sunday. I'm not sure what happened but I snacked on rice and 2 pop corn balls randomly at work then came home and did not feel like working out. I blew past my calorie limit and feel bad as a result. Before when I would eat something that was not "good" I would just continue on and know its just one slip up.

I also viewed another MFP food diary tonight for the first time. Lets just say I am amazed at how little people can eat. It seems like I could easily eat twice as much food in a day. I struggle to barely come in at my calorie limit. I dont see how people could ever have trouble eating all of their calories. Yes I realize this means I have issues with portion sizes and I am trying to work on this.

Adding those 2 hits to my motivation I feel my self slipping and want to stop the snowball before it gets too big. I only have a week to get back on track. Next Tuesday I leave for my cruise. If you have been on a cruise you know its a food fest. I have known its going to be a challenge and have tried to prepare myself that I may gain during this time. Yet when you put this slipping feeling on top of that challenge not sure how I am going to come out on the other side. Will I be able to get back on track or will I just give up?

Looking for tips, encouragement and support.

Thanks

Replies

• lindsschou
    Options
    Maybe you're trying to lose too much too fast and your calorie intake is low as a result? For me, its a matter of behaviour, I could sit and eat everything in the house, even if I wasn't hungry. I keep telling myself nothing can taste as good as being thin feels.

Also, I find if I don't allow myself a treat for too long I go nuts and eat too much. I don't look at many others food diaries because we all have different likes and bad habits.

Good luck getting back on the wagon!
  • sherryberry07
    Options
    DONT give up! I have those days and I always feel rather frustrated with myself for them, but whatever you do, DONT give up! You can do it! I call really bad days "Throw-Away-Days" because I kind of want to throw away what I did. But that's only a day - and the next day I'm back on the horse again, eating well, exercising right, and knowing that, yes I made a mistake, but that was yesterday, not today. You can do it!!!
  • kama5
    kama5 Posts: 11
    Options
    Please don't give up.......keep going and you'll get there. This is me saying this to you and I've only just begun and always have trouble with motivation especially for drinking the water and also the exercise as I work long hours. I've lost 1.5Kg and I feel great but I've a long way to go plus I'm not young and it is much much harder to lose once you are my age.

I'm thinking of how proud of myself I will be when I get to my goal weight - you do that too....
  • alliecore
    alliecore Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    First of all, I would like to say that you being able to eat "enough" is BETTER, in terms of health and weight loss, than those diaries that finish out far under calories. And I'm totally with you: I can not, in any way, understand when people have a problem eating all their calories. I have a huge appetite, and constantly struggle to hold myself in check.

You are doing yourself a huge favor by looking for support instead of giving in to your urges. So you had a bad day Sunday. It's over. Done. You can't do a thing about it, but you CAN do something about the rest of today. And tomorrow. And the next day.

You only slip if you LET yourself slip. And by that, I mean, you haven't fallen over the edge just because you had a bad day yesterday. Heck, most people went over intentinally just because it was a holiday. You are far from defeated here.

It sounds like you have been doing an amazing job! Keep up the good work. Don't focus on the negative that happened; instead, focus on the positive things that you WILL accomplish because you CAN. You've proven to yourself that you are capable of self-control. That isn't gone just because you slipped up one day! Hang in there.......you're doing an amazing job!
  • abaker768
    abaker768 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I just did the same thing this weekend, will I'll be honest, the past two weekends. I've been off from work and went nuts eating. But, tomorrow is a new day, and I'm doing my best to start and try over again! You can do it!!!!
  • olyrose
    olyrose Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Everyone has an off day. What's important is that you acknowledge it and decide that's not how you want every day to be.

Remember that your calorie goal is set at a deficit to lose weight, so if you go over a little bit, it just means the weight won't come off as fast, not that you have sabotaged everything you've worked towards.

And don't just go by one person's diary. Many people on here are NOT eating a lot, that doesn't mean they are doing it right and you aren't. The key to losing weight is not starving yourself, and different people have different calorie needs.

Changing the types of foods you eat can really help you eat more. I know it gets said a lot, but veggies and proteins give you a lot of food with little calories (and good nutritional value). You can look at mine if you'd like. I eat a ton every day but it's all low-cal options and lots of fruits and veggies.

Most important, don't feel bad! You are moving in the right direction, and the only way you will fail is if you completely give up! You CAN do it!
  • khetcol
    khetcol Posts: 1
    Options
    I want to echo what the others said!! DON'T GIVE UP! It is worth it! You are going to have a day... or days when things just don't go right! That is how life is! There is always a curve ball in there and you have to learn how to pick yourself back up and keep going instead of beating yourself up and telling yourself that you can't do it!
    I got to my goal weight and was kind of celebrating...lost over 50 pounds so far :) Yahoo right!!! Well I totally fell off the wagon and have gained 11 pounds!!! It sure comes on a lot faster than it goes off. So every day MATTERS! Every choice you make MATTERS! You are worth it and you owe it to yourself to keep trying even if you do mess up here and there! I am now recommitted to eating right and getting my excercise in.... so here I go again! You can do it too! Be good until your cruise. Live life make better choices but still have a wonderful time on your cruise...then jump back on it when you get home.
    Just wanted to let you know that you are not alone and we are all struggeling with the exact same things that you are. Hang in there!!!!
  • waterbabeAD
    Options
    REading your post I get the impression you are more focused on weightloss and food, with exercise being "required" rather than desired. I may be wrong? Food intake is important, and many of us can identify with the issues you are having right now. But dont beat yourself up! It has been a holiday weekend and I am sure most of us have gone over our calories (I know - I have!)

I dont know if it will work for you, but as I am middle aged, mentally I now fully accept I have to exercise to keep healthy - it relates to minimising the risk to a whole set of potential health issues eg cholestrol, joints/bones, heart etc. Exercise has become part of my daily routine after work and at the weekends. Even when I am tired, I find after exerecise I have more energy anyway. What I eat as well as how much has evolved as a result. I am not fixed on the food intake - I just dont have crap in the house anymore, and dont go shopping so much, that helps too.

I do of course have my "mad food days" but I allow myself these - I call them "amnesty days". Its OK to be tempted - its normal. I exercise happily every day (except thursdays) so for me it is no biggie.

Try to find some form of exercise you can both enjoy and make part of your everyday routine. There are tons of things you can do - exercise isn't just about sweating it out in a gym. Even going for a walk will ease you into it, and you will feel better as a result,

Hang on in t here and dont be hard on yourself :-)
  • Slimntrim90
    Options
    MFP has been my most successful attempt at losing weight EVER! And yet, two days ago I was invited to my daughters for dinner........they served cheesecake for dessert..........I ate it..........got back on my plan the next day! It wasn't the end of the world, or the end of my plan to lose this extra weight. It was just a small setback! Now, if I made a habit of eating cheesecake everyday, or once a week, I know I would be sabotaging my efforts. But, yesterday I did two treadmill programs.......at separate times. Today I went swimming for 40 minutes. Just keep heading in the right direction and you will succeed!
  • BombolinaM
    BombolinaM Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Please don't give up. We all have those days. It seems easier to be overweight sometimes. But feeling good and being healthy out weighs that. Take it one day at a time. Believe in yourself. You can do this :laugh:
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    There have been days where I have either gone over my calories a little bit or not exercised but never on the same day. Until Sunday. I'm not sure what happened but I snacked on rice and 2 pop corn balls randomly at work then came home and did not feel like working out. I blew past my calorie limit and feel bad as a result. Before when I would eat something that was not "good" I would just continue on and know its just one slip up.

I also viewed another MFP food diary tonight for the first time. Lets just say I am amazed at how little people can eat. It seems like I could easily eat twice as much food in a day. I struggle to barely come in at my calorie limit. I dont see how people could ever have trouble eating all of their calories. Yes I realize this means I have issues with portion sizes and I am trying to work on this.

Adding those 2 hits to my motivation I feel my self slipping and want to stop the snowball before it gets too big. I only have a week to get back on track. Next Tuesday I leave for my cruise. If you have been on a cruise you know its a food fest. I have known its going to be a challenge and have tried to prepare myself that I may gain during this time. Yet when you put this slipping feeling on top of that challenge not sure how I am going to come out on the other side. Will I be able to get back on track or will I just give up?

Looking for tips, encouragement and support.

Thanks
    Okay, since you are one of my MFPeeps, I have something to say to you. As a Nurse working n a hospital, you occasionally, possibly take care of a patient who you KNOW will not survive for long. It could be end stage cancer, or stroke or hell, ANYTHING, because we are all born and we will all die. It's the circle of life and all of that. Anyway, knowing that your patient is ultimately going to die, what do you do? Do you just throw up your hands, don't give them their meds or take great care of them? Hell NO you don't! You go back day after long butt kicking day to the same things. And you give each and every one of them the best you have, right??
    (I sure hope so, cause if you don't or can't, then I'm afraid you are a Nurse for the wrong reason)
    BUT MY POINT IS, YOU DON"T QUIT and bail on strangers who have very little choice, you give them your best.
    Aren't YOU worth at least a measure of your best?? I think so. Don't quit, don't give up. You can do this!! as for the cruise, go and have fun and don't beat yourself up over any slides, you can come back here and tell us all how sinfully great the food and drinks were. I may give you crap for having a life, but I won't judge. I will be here. Watching your back and supporting you, cause you are worth my best.

Damn, I get long winded!! sorry.
  • Mundy86
    Mundy86 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    NO I am NOT giving up. Its just my first heavy feeling that I could give up. (Does that even make sence.) I took today as a new day and was with in my calories and came home and exercised without out having to talk myself into it. Yes I see food as my main thing to consentrate on as I have never eaten healthy even as a child. Fast food and boxed meals is what I grew up on and have continued that with my husband. So throw in learning how to cook on top of learning how to cook with veggies and other "healthy" iteams its a big change. I do eat a lot of veggies and fruit, I looked in my fridge and was supprised at how many were in there the other day and they did not last long either. Exercise is not an easy thing but somedays I do look forword to it. Especially the days I go hiking. Not something I have made in to my daily routine like peeing in the morning, but better then before.

TDGee that about brought a tear to my eye. That really hit home and I'm going to print that off to put up where I can read it when I start slipping.

Thank you for the support. Off to sleep as I may work in the morning. Have to pay for the cruise some how.
  • jen2bhottie
    jen2bhottie Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I think it's good that you feel bad about Sunday, it means you're holding yourself accountable! However, it's one day... a holiday at that... time to pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and jump back in the saddle. If losing weight was easy, none of us would be here. I agree with everyone else here in that you shouldn't compare food diaries...do what's best for you. I mean you must be doing something right because you've lost 21 lbs!!
    I was one who had problems reaching my calorie goals, but I've had the assistance of prescription meds...I recently hit a plateau and decided to raise my calories by 600 upon the advice of others, and wouldn't you know it, so far I've lost 2 lbs in the last 5 days. So less is not necessarily better.
    As far as your cruise...
    *The first and foremost important thing is to have the time of your life!!
    *Second, I've heard that cruises are food fests, but I'm sure they have a variety including a 'healthier choices' menu. Make a game out of it, see how many things you can find to eat under a certain amount of calories. I love going to restaurants (including fast food) and seeing what kind of meals I can find for under 500 calories...I also like to find out what items/meals have the most calories, because when I see those insane amounts I want to find something as healthy as possible.
    * Third, even if you do decide to throw caution to the wind and end up eating more than usual, remember your exercising. I know there has to be a lot of activities on a cruise, so do as many of those as you can and keep yourself as active as possible. At the very least, this should help balance things out.

I wish you the best of luck and hope you have a blast!!!
  • anulle2009
    anulle2009 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I didnt read other replies so someone might have suggested it but, maybe try changing what you are eating. Once I started paying attention and reading nutrution labels, you can find a lot of foods you can eat a lot of and still come under your calories. I had a turkey burger on a pita last night granted i worked out so i have a few extra calories but i still didnt go over them. Dont give up, i get upset and frusterated very easy especially since i had gastric bypass surgery so in my head the weight should be coming off faster than it is. But it takes time. stick with it!!! YOU CAN DO THIS!