What is the best thing to have for breakfast?

Options
I am only allowed 1200 calories a day!

I have just had an Asda Fruit and Fibre bar for 113 calories and 2 cups of tea. I will prob need 2 more cups of tea to stop me feeling hungry before lunch.

Is there anything better/lower in calories than this? Cereal and toast/spread all seem to have more calories I think.

Replies

• mazatha
    mazatha Posts: 12
    Options
    I like to have 2 weetabix and 125ml skimmed milk for 170 calories - keeps you full!
  • YvetteBabich
    Options
    I'll usually eat a plain egg white omelette (seasoned with whatever I feel like to make it delicious). Usually fills me up or at least gives illusion of it, while staying really low cal.
  • Terri73
    Terri73 Posts: 238
    Options
    I like to have 2 weetabix and 125ml skimmed milk for 170 calories - keeps you full!

I have that to keeps me going till lunch
  • CurtisRay0814
    Options
    i normally have 1 ruby read grapefruite it has only 74 calories and water that normally fills me up
  • emmascott
    emmascott Posts: 249
    Options
    Don't go lower than that! It will make you pig out later in the day, well it does with me! lol lol

I've been soaking dried fruit in earl grey tea, then warming it up the following morning in the microwave with a dollop of vanilla yoghurt on top. It's about 220 cals, but omg soooooo filling and keeps me full for ages. If you use prunes! There's another added benefit too!!!! lol lol

Take care.

Em
  • louell33
    louell33 Posts: 85
    Options
    Why don't you use up more cals in the morning, if this is when you're most hungry? This morning I had toast x2 ,tinned tomatoes ,mushrooms and 1 egg, scrambled with a cup of black tea and I am feeling pretty full and it came in at 364 cals - for a plateful! I also make sure I exercise everyday - and eat those cals if I need them, I could not survive on the 1400 I am allowed, never mind 1200!!

good luck!
  • minburke
    minburke Posts: 241 Member
    Options

Me too! :) But I'm still sneaking in a tsp of sugar on it :/
  • jaylu
    jaylu Posts: 158
    Options
    40g jumbo oats - not the quick cook ones! made with 1/2 cup skimmed milk and 1/2 cup water. let sit over night in the fridge so the oats take on some of the liquid, microwave for 6 mins, sprinkle with cinnamon and top with 35g banana. tastes so good and is nice and warm to heat you up first thing in the morning. i always think if i eat something warm its more satisfactory! will keep you going until lunch no problem!
  • lillydlc
    lillydlc Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I have experimented with all sorts of things and I honestly find that protein - keeps my appetite at bay till lunchtime!
  • Bluehand
    Bluehand Posts: 2
    Options
    A fruit bar doesn't satisfy me at all - I'm hungry after one hour! I have porridge (30 gr) made with water, then add 100 ml soy milk or other non-dairy milk, plus 1 tbsp chia seeds, or 2 scant teaspoons of linwoods milled flaxseeds, pumpkin & sunflower seeds) and two dates.
    The total calories are 277, but I don't feel hungry at all and when it's time to have lunch I'm not golfing it down because I'm starving!
    If I go to Curves at lunchtime, I also have a snack (5-6 almonds, 1 small smoothie) about 45 minutes before exercising.
    1,200 kcal is very little calories...my goal is 1350, and when I exercise I can eat more. Maybe you could review your calories goal?
  • Terri73
    Terri73 Posts: 238
    Options

Me too! :) But I'm still sneaking in a tsp of sugar on it :/

lol i used to do that but weaned myself off to just plain lol
  • elainio
    elainio Posts: 77
    Options
    I am also on 1200 calories a day and the breakfast I normally have are:

45g sottish poridge oats and 15g raisins/greek currents = 215calories
    1 poached egg on homemade oatbran or one slice bread = 224calories
    reduced fat bacon on a weight watchers bagle = 225calories

All of these fill me up from 7am till 1pm.

Good luck

E
  • PegPolkadot
    Options
    I will try weetabix tomorrow then but I can only eat it with a bit of sugar. 8 calories in half a teaspoon I think- so could be worse!
  • velvetkat
    velvetkat Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I am also on the 1200 calories but I have 350-400 calories for breakfast. I am more hungry and there are more hours between my breakfast and lunch then my lunch and dinner. I have breakfast bar, string cheese, yogert and cup of fruit. I eat them thru-out the 8 hours between breakfast and lunch, I then just eat a salad for lunch with some sort of protein..
    play with your menu and your times.. see what works best for them and best for YOU

4925355.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Emma1903
    Emma1903 Posts: 195
    Options
    Try muesli with skimmed milk
    Or
    Weetabix/ Oatibix with fruit and skimmed milk or yogurt

I'm also on 1200 cals a day which sometimes I struggle to eat that many. As long as you eat the right foods, high protein you won't feel hungry.
  • sarah8180
    Options
    I have a large bowl of fruit and fibre or Special K with skimmed milk and count it as 2 portions, even if it is about 500 cals! I have it about 7:30 am and it keeps me going till midday when i have a big salad with prawns or seafood sticks, ryvita etc. I found picking at fruit in the day not only added the calories but also found was having too much sugar.
    On the weekend I had 2 slices of wholemeal toast and a microwaved scrambled egg is about 208 calories and sometimes add tomatoes etc. so means i have more calories for a yummy dinner or chocolate!
    I have cut right back on the carbs but found i got a tired or hungry so added some rye bread or ryvita back in and seems to do the trick.
    Only been doing it 9 days and lost 5 lbs so far. (im a big girl tho!!) I have done every diet going but this mobile phone app cal counter is so easy to use and i combine it with some of the tips and recipies in the Anna Richardson Body Blitz book. Good luck to everyone dieting right now, we can all be slimmer for summer!
  • bunnybeth14
    bunnybeth14 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I will try weetabix tomorrow then but I can only eat it with a bit of sugar. 8 calories in half a teaspoon I think- so could be worse!

I use canderell or other sweetener instead of sugar, same effect but way less cals!
  • QueenStromba
    QueenStromba Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have a poached egg, a slice of lean bacon, some mushrooms fried in fry light and some spinach which comes in at about 200 calories and doesn't feel like I'm depriving myself.
  • mstephanie63
    mstephanie63 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have a 3 egg white omelet with 1/4 mozzerella cheese. I add onion and spinach to it for more flavor and a shake of salt. I think its 140 calories or something close to there. Then I have a 1/2 cup blueberries or Strawberries. (youll burn more calories digesting the strawberries than you did ingesting it)...Added bonus. Blueberries are a superfruit so theres more added bonus. then have the next 1/2 cup for your morning snack. I personally Keep my calories low in the morning but I find foods that fill me up. Then save 300 calories for lunch and 500 or less for dinner. and the rest for snacks. which isnt alot but you have to find the snacks and foods that will fill you up for longer periods of time. I also drink alot of green tea before I eat.Ive lost just over 40 lbs following this. and am to on a 1200 calorie a day.