Running pain?

Options
I am a 6-7 day a week exercise person but it's almost always in the gym and via group classes (dance, aerobics, combat, weights and the like). Failing that I cycle, I am NOT a runner.

But this morning, following a sleepless night, disappointment on the scales and knowing that I can't go to the gym for two days I went for an early morning run.

I ran for 30 minutes. I didn't stop but I consider myself relatively slim and fit so it didn't occur to me that that would be a problem. But I now have quite bad pain in my shins and hips. I did cool down.

Is this normal for beginner runners? Did I do too much at once for a first time, even though I'm very used to other exercise? Should I be avoiding roads/pavements?

Any advice from runners much appreciated.

Replies

• NitaCB
    NitaCB Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Well there are a number of things to look at... How far did you run? I'd say it's probably your shoes. Having a decent running shoe that is appropriate for your foot is crucial when it comes to running. If you want to get into running properly (and I highly recommend it :wink: ) then I'd recommend going to a running shop and getting some fitted by a professional as a first port of call. Shin splints, which is what it sounds like, are pretty common in beginner runners (regardless of the existing fitness you may have) or if you're coming back after a long break. If you get it again ice them when you get home and give it a bit of a rest. Running through it will only make it worse. Running fitness is quite different to the kind of fitness you build up doing classes. Keep at it if you're keen though, you'd be surprised how quickly you can build up your fitness for it!

Hope this helps!
  • believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    Options

I ran for 30 minutes. I didn't stop but I consider myself relatively slim and fit so it didn't occur to me that that would be a problem. But I now have quite bad pain in my shins and hips. I did cool down.

Is this normal for beginner runners? Did I do too much at once for a first time, even though I'm very used to other exercise? Should I be avoiding roads/pavements?

Any advice from runners much appreciated.

It doesn't matter that you're slim/athletic, you can still hurt yourself! (mind you, much better to overdo it while being slim than being morbidly overweight). I digress. That's common in beginner runners, but I wouldnt call it "normal" or correct!! You shouldn't be feeling any pain! Running is not like other exercises, it's its own beast! :laugh:

Shin pain is often caused by the muscles/tendons, or (worse!), shin splints/stress fractures. Take it easy for the next few days. If possible, run on grass or a treadmill until you're more "experienced" (this won't take long!). If you run on roads, the actual road is better than concrete. Make sure you have GOOD shoes (this is crucial). And get your gait tested... hip pain could be caused by a misalignment in your legs/step.

You'll be fine. Welcome to the world of running, and good luck!! :flowerforyou:
  • alison2429
    alison2429 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I agree with all the above.
    You shouldn't just go out and run for 30 minutes straight - you should build up - no matter how fit you are. Also running outside is a whole different ball game to running on a treadmill.
    You should check out your shoes and ice those shins.
    That said - running is great - especially this time of year. You can do it any where and it's free!!
    Enjoy.

Alison
  • jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice.

It could be the shoes. I have good indoor trainers that I use in the gym but my outdoor trainers are just oldish generic nike ones.

Probably worth sorting it out - I hate running but it's very convenient, cheap summer exercise!
  • hellen72
    hellen72 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    My hubby started running again, he never did much before. He kept getting back pain. I told him his shies were too old but he wouldnt believe me
    He got new shoes and guess what? The back pain went

If u r not sure if u r going to stick at it and dint want to spend the money then try again doing just 10 mins and build up or do 3 mins run 1 min walk. Even though u dont need the walk your muscles may do. The prob wjith fit people starting running is that aerobically they are easlily ready for it but the running muscles and ligaments are not
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    It could be the shoes, could just be from not running and your legs arent used to it (probably the case) or it could be your running form. I am a firm believer that proper running form can reduce a lot of injuries that runners encounter.
  • whittlecj
    whittlecj Posts: 10
    Options
    Agree that form is a big deal. I had back and knee problems with running until I switched to a forefoot strike (land on ball of foot, not on heel). Running barefoot teaches this technique pretty effectively. Take it very slow!
  • MamaLeague
    MamaLeague Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    What are some resources to show proper running form? I'll have to pay attention to where I land on my foot tomorrow...
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    A google search of "good form running" should turn up some information.
  • ilsie99
    ilsie99 Posts: 259
    Options
    A google search of "good form running" should turn up some information.

Good form running is similar to Pose and Chi running- the basis of all three being an emphasis on high cadence and midfoot striking (as opposed to heel striking.)

http://www.goodformrunning.com/
  • FitPhysique
    FitPhysique Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with all the previous posters. I started running in 1999 and ran several races. Took a couple of months of last year and had to start from scratch and build my base. Although you are fit, you might want to ease into running. They are several beginner running program out there. They are very popular ones that you can google. Also, someone I personally have trained with at the NYC chapter of Leukemia Lymphoma society Christine Luff. Here's a link that yo umay find very useful. http://running.about.com/od/runningforbeginners/u/Beginners.htm#s1

Shoes are very important. Make sure you have a running shoes not a corss trainer or anything else. IF you are planning on running a couple of time a week go get fitted for the right shoes at a running or Nike stores. Good Luck with your new fitness endeavors.