HELP!!! I'm Lactose Intolerant and Lactic Acid Buildup Is K

Options
Hi friends,

I've recently kicked up my routine to bust through the next wall of weight. I'm doing bodypump, elliptical, arc core, HIIT, zumba, etc for a hour. I'm very sore and holding a lot of fluid and lactic acid. Here's the problem: I'm lactose intolerant. I do take a daily 24 hour lactose pill 2xs a day which helps under normal, non-HIIT circumstances but is not helping with the added acid. Nothing like spending quality time with the porcelain goddess.

Any suggestions? I imagine this will lessen as my body gets used to being pushed in this fashion but in the meantime, the cramping and GI issues are miserable.

Replies

• squeaktones
    squeaktones Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    i wish i could half. i feel for you and want you to know you aren't alone in your plight. i hope you feel better soon.
  • LozFearn
    LozFearn Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi

Just to let you know that Lactic Acid has NOTHING to do with Lactose in your diet. Lactic Acid occurs when your muscles are starved of oxygen - the burning your experience when exercising really hard. Once you get your breath back, the lactic acid will recede.

What I think you are talking about is DOMS - Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness - which occurs after a workout, where your muscles are repairing and getting stronger from the exercise you are doing. There is no magic cure for this - make sure you stretch after exercise, as this will lessen the DOMS, lots of water and rest is the only cure. As you get stronger, you will get it less, until you kick it up another gear.

DOMS just tells you your body is adjusting.

Well done on the exercise!
  • cklbrown
    cklbrown Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    You have educated me. I had no idea a buildup of lactic acid could affect a lactose intolerant person that way. My mom is lactose intolerant, my daughter lactose sensitive. I know how difficult it can be making food choices. I had no idea about exercise issues. Thanks for enloghtening me. Sorry I couldn t help you. I hope someone can!
  • heatherisom
    heatherisom Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Sorry about your issues. I live on Prevacid daily to help control my acid and IBS. It works fast and I only have to take it once a day. Give it a try. Nothing else seemed to work for me.
  • JeninBelgium
    JeninBelgium Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I vaguely recall seeing something on this on the LIVESTRONG website - I did a quick google and came up with the below - which is not what I was looking for but maybe it will either answer some questions (I did rea it only skimmed it) or link you to something helpful- good luck!

http://www.livestrong.com/article/362457-lactic-acid-lactose-intolerance/
  • lynne_p
    lynne_p Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I agree with LozFearn.
  • darrenham
    darrenham Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    So do I.

Lactic Acid build-up causes NO negative effects in Lactose Intolerant individuals.

If your muscles are burning during ex. that's lactate, if they're hurting days after, that's DOMS.

If you're drinking milk, that's lactose.
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Hi

Just to let you know that Lactic Acid has NOTHING to do with Lactose in your diet. Lactic Acid occurs when your muscles are starved of oxygen - the burning your experience when exercising really hard. Once you get your breath back, the lactic acid will recede.

What I think you are talking about is DOMS - Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness - which occurs after a workout, where your muscles are repairing and getting stronger from the exercise you are doing. There is no magic cure for this - make sure you stretch after exercise, as this will lessen the DOMS, lots of water and rest is the only cure. As you get stronger, you will get it less, until you kick it up another gear.

DOMS just tells you your body is adjusting.

Well done on the exercise!

Lactic acid is a byproduct of muscle activity and has nothing to do with lactose which is a milk sugar.
    Prevacid is for stomach acid and reflux, also a totally separate animal.

You can better manage muscle cramps by being well hydrated before, during and after exercise. I learned the true value of Gatorade recently and the G2 has very low calories so consider an electrolyte drink such as that. Also adequate calcium, magnesium, and sodium are required for proper muscle activity.
  • jbudzins1
    jbudzins1 Posts: 17
    Options
    When I discoverred I was lactose intolerant I found I coule reduce the effects by avoiding dairy products containing lactose. I replaced regular milk with lactose-free milk and keep some of Lactaid enzyme supplement tablets with me incase I want to eat something prepaired with lactose containing dairy products. This works pretty good most of the time.

I belive the previous responder is correct that there is no relationship between lactose intolerance and lactic acid.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    As others have said, there is absolutely no relationship between lactose intolerance and lactic acid.

If you are having loose stools either before or soon after hard exercise, it's more likely connected to what you're eating and when you're eating it. You should consume no food 2 hours before exercising and you should be watching how much sugar and fiber you consume close to exercise.

Here's an article with some additional tips: http://www.livestrong.com/article/325924-exercise-induced-diarrhea/
  • AngelsKisses75
    AngelsKisses75 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Ahhhhh you poor dear!! Look up 'Runner's Trots'. HIIT hit me like a ton of bricks, and it felt much like the reaction our bodies have to dairy products. *nods* Oh not fun!!

A few things that have helped this for me: drink more water (before, after, and during exercise), avoid eating too close to your exercise time, and as silly as this may sound add nutmeg to everything you eat.

Yes, I said Nutmeg. Nutmeg is great to help diarrhea, fights bad breath, acting as an anti-inflammatory for joints and muscles, reducing stress levels, and take care not to over do it.

Simple Nutmeg tonic: 2 teaspoons mixed in to apple juice (This is quick acting for me)

Best of wishes to you! :drinker:
  • WomanofWorth
    WomanofWorth Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    OK but what do you then about the diarrhea and nausea????? I can't be running to the bathroom every 45 minutes simply because I've decided to get healthier. That doesn't work with the bosses much.
  • WomanofWorth
    Options
    The only real dairy I eat is greek yogurt which my body handles well, so??????
  • WomanofWorth
    Options
    Ahhhhh you poor dear!! Look up 'Runner's Trots'. HIIT hit me like a ton of bricks, and it felt much like the reaction our bodies have to dairy products. *nods* Oh not fun!!

A few things that have helped this for me: drink more water (before, after, and during exercise), avoid eating too close to your exercise time, and as silly as this may sound add nutmeg to everything you eat.

Yes, I said Nutmeg. Nutmeg is great to help diarrhea, fights bad breath, acting as an anti-inflammatory for joints and muscles, reducing stress levels, and take care not to over do it.

Simple Nutmeg tonic: 2 teaspoons mixed in to apple juice (This is quick acting for me)

Thank you! I drink 15-18 glasses of water a day and drink before, during and after exercise but have been eating something about an hour before working out. I see that I should be moving that farther out and perhaps only having a snack maybe 3-4 hours before working out??? Not sure how working out on the hungry, empty stomach will do as far as keeping high energy throughout the workout but we'll find out. As you can tell, I'm new to this whole gym thing for HIIT and the punish your body to lose weight thing. Thank you everyone for your guidance.
  • WomanofWorth
    Options
    As others have said, there is absolutely no relationship between lactose intolerance and lactic acid.

If you are having loose stools either before or soon after hard exercise, it's more likely connected to what you're eating and when you're eating it. You should consume no food 2 hours before exercising and you should be watching how much sugar and fiber you consume close to exercise.

Here's an article with some additional tips: http://www.livestrong.com/article/325924-exercise-induced-diarrhea/

Thank you! This answers a lot of questions for me.
  • WomanofWorth
    Options

Thank you so much!
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Lactose and lactic acid are two different things so doing workouts that cause an increase in the body's production of lactic acid shouldn't have any of the effects of lactose intolerance in the body. That being said, if lactic acid isn't converted to pyruvate in the muscle and used, then it is sent to the liver to be converted back to glucose. If you are having stomach upset from your workouts, it could be a sign of something wrong in the liver and the enzymes being released into the stomach either from the lactic acid conversion or some other process that you are only noticing during or after your high intensity workouts. I'd have your liver function checked by your doctor to rule any of those things out. Also, to decrease the amount of lactic acid that is being sent to the liver for reprocessing, you can do some lower intensity cardio after your resistance training and high intensity cardio so that there is adequate oxygen in the muscles to convert that lactic acid to pyruvate and use it to assist in fat burning. If the symptoms are from the liver having to process too much lactic acid, then that should help because less of it is sent to the liver in the end. Plus you get extra fat burning which is always a bonus.
  • WomanofWorth
    Options
    Lactose and lactic acid are two different things so doing workouts that cause an increase in the body's production of lactic acid shouldn't have any of the effects of lactose intolerance in the body. That being said, if lactic acid isn't converted to pyruvate in the muscle and used, then it is sent to the liver to be converted back to glucose. If you are having stomach upset from your workouts, it could be a sign of something wrong in the liver and the enzymes being released into the stomach either from the lactic acid conversion or some other process that you are only noticing during or after your high intensity workouts. I'd have your liver function checked by your doctor to rule any of those things out. Also, to decrease the amount of lactic acid that is being sent to the liver for reprocessing, you can do some lower intensity cardio after your resistance training and high intensity cardio so that there is adequate oxygen in the muscles to convert that lactic acid to pyruvate and use it to assist in fat burning. If the symptoms are from the liver having to process too much lactic acid, then that should help because less of it is sent to the liver in the end. Plus you get extra fat burning which is always a bonus.

What about classes and/or workouts that combine the two? If I'm tested and this continues to be an issue, should I not do ones that combine both? Sorry for all of the questions. I am sooooo not understanding all of this and am a bit frustrated that something healthy is giving me such issues.
  • WomanofWorth
    Options

What about classes and/or workouts that combine the two? If I'm tested and this continues to be an issue, should I not do ones that combine both? Sorry for all of the questions. I am sooooo not understanding all of this and am a bit frustrated that something healthy is giving me such issues.
  • WomanofWorth
    Options
    Sorry for the double post :~(