Headphones for Running

Options
amyrc12
amyrc12 Posts: 183 Member
I'm 'googled out' this morning - hopefully I can get some help from some fellow MFPeeps.

I am trying to find a comfortable pair of headphones that are not noise cancelling.
I run in my neighborhood and want to be able to hear the traffic and more importantly other runners coming up behind me.
Last night a man squeezed past me on the sidewalk and brushed my shoulder... talk about scaring the poo out of someone!

Anyone have suggestions?

Replies

• Bethy25
    Bethy25 Posts: 73
    Options
    the ones that I have that are "supposed" to stay in don't! I'd like to see what people have to say on this one too! :smile:
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    Jelly earbuds are the only things I find that stay in. But in order to hear passing traffic, I have to keep one popped out. :/
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I got a pair of pretty expensive Sennheiser CX680I CX-680I Adidas Sports In-Ear Headphones
    from the apple store- they are "sweatproof" and are ear bud style with little rubber dodads that smush in the stiffer part of your ear to keep them in. They have a remote and mic. I think I paid maybe $60 for them.

They stay in (pretty compfortable and very customizeable to get the right size fins and such), they haven't shorted out like my others when I start to sweat, and I don't think they are particularly noise canceling, at least they haven't worked to cancel out the chatty cathys at the gym during my long runs on rainy mornings yet.

Here's a link to sears.com- first place I found them just googling on the web.
    http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_SPM2762868401P?sid=IDx20101019x00001b&srccode=cii_18492716&cpncode=22-110025619-2
  • Aetarac
    Aetarac Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I don't know brand or such but I got a pair that loop and hood behind ears and they work wonderfully. With exception of when i pull on the cord by accident they don't move from ears. The standard ear buds were always popping out and the ones that have the hard band across back of head i always manage to break... but that is my fault there; never tried those to run with.
  • mertheg01
    mertheg01 Posts: 19
    Options
    I use "Skull Candy" they work great for me. I have tried many,many pairs, and these are the only ones that work for me. Come with three different inserts and can also be used with your cell phone. They work great!!!
  • thephatliz
    thephatliz Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I found some at Radio Schack that go over your ear. The speaker still sits in your ear. I can't wear the buds because they are too big to fit in my ear or they hurt!

They used to make them with a volume slider on the cord, but I am unable to find these anymore.

Good luck.
  • whiskey9890
    whiskey9890 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    i've not found a reasonably priced version from the uk but you can get one ear headphones so you only wear one, none of the noise is missing (2 ear ones tend to do the stereo effect so only wearing one you often miss some of the music), most searches i've come up with show these to be from deaf awareness sites, may be worth looking into
  • rlawrimore
    rlawrimore Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I use a Phillips set that wraps around he ear and not into the ear. They are really comfortable and have good sound quality, but allow you to hear since they fit on the ear.
    Here is the link.

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-Flexible-Headphones-SHS3200-28/dp/B003CJTR82?SubscriptionId=AKIAJ65IGNXA2JIL6YHA&tag=pakatak-21&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B003CJTR82
  • amyrc12
    amyrc12 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Thanks Everyone!
    rlawrimore - I will give these a try for sure - for $10 they're worth a shot!
  • ilsie99
    ilsie99 Posts: 259
    Options
    I got a pair of pretty expensive Sennheiser CX680I CX-680I Adidas Sports In-Ear Headphones
    from the apple store- they are "sweatproof" and are ear bud style with little rubber dodads that smush in the stiffer part of your ear to keep them in. They have a remote and mic. I think I paid maybe $60 for them.

They stay in (pretty compfortable and very customizeable to get the right size fins and such), they haven't shorted out like my others when I start to sweat, and I don't think they are particularly noise canceling, at least they haven't worked to cancel out the chatty cathys at the gym during my long runs on rainy mornings yet.

Here's a link to sears.com- first place I found them just googling on the web.
    http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_SPM2762868401P?sid=IDx20101019x00001b&srccode=cii_18492716&cpncode=22-110025619-2

Absolutely, these ones. They are a little pricey, but totally worth it.