Lowering weight loss per week

Options
When I started MFP almost 7wks ago I set my weight lose to be 2lbs per week. I lost 5lbs (definitely not 2lbs a week, but it was something) and in the last couple of weeks I have been at a stand still even gained .8lb....which I'm sure was due to a couple bad weekend days. I decided to lowered my weight loss goal from 2lbs to 1lbs per week. I'm not sure how I feel about adding the extra calories though. It makes me nervous and I'm not sure where to add the extra calories.
Does anyone have any thoughts?
Thanks!!

Replies

• sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I think you will see a good reaction to this. Since it seems you don't have a lot of weight to lose, eating more calories will help your body lose that weight. I tried eating 1200, no weight was lost. Now I eat between 1600-2000 a day and I am really starting to lose faster again.

Congrats on the 4lbs so far, you are already halfway done!
  • kblue2007
    kblue2007 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    I think you will see a good reaction to this. Since it seems you don't have a lot of weight to lose, eating more calories will help your body lose that weight. I tried eating 1200, no weight was lost. Now I eat between 1600-2000 a day and I am really starting to lose faster again.

Congrats on the 4lbs so far, you are already halfway done!

Thanks!!!
    Do you eat back your exercise calories???
  • Aetarac
    Aetarac Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    looking at your ticker see you only have 5lbs to lose for goal weight. 2lbs a week is difficult when that close your body will not wanna give up stores that quickly 0.5 - 1 lb is reasonable and upping intake may help body to realize that it is okay to give up some fat stores.
  • deema79
    deema79 Posts: 108
    Options
    1 pound a week or even 1/2 a pound a week is best when you only have a little to lose. I didnt lose anything when I had it set at 2 pounds. I tweaked my settings a bit increased cals 100 then 200 and lowered to 1 pound per week and have found it to be better for me and im losing now. I only have a few more. Oh I also eat back my exer cals. My workouts are very intense most days.
    Dont be nervous just try it for a little. The idea is to fuel your body. We cannot expect our bodies to do what we want them to do if we are not feeding it properly. Just my Opinion.
  • ascrof
    ascrof Posts: 34
    Options
    i just changed mine from 2 to 1.5 and it's much easier for me having the extra calories
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    Thanks!!!
    Do you eat back your exercise calories???

I try very hard to, yep! Delicious reward for doing exercise that day :happy:
  • MyNameIsNotBob
    MyNameIsNotBob Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    You might be surprised. I stalled out after a few weeks of eating 12-1300 cals. / day. When I changed my weight loss goals and went up to 15-1600 cals. / day, I started to lose MORE weight, not less. Good luck!
  • jessicafreake
    Options
    I started out at 2lbs a week as well but after a month I ended up changing it to 1 lb a week and it seemed to be easier for me to do. I do eat back my exercise calories and I have lost 10lbs in 5 weeks.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Read the link "guide to calorie deficits" in my signature. It will help you a great deal!
  • kblue2007
    Options
    Read the link "guide to calorie deficits" in my signature. It will help you a great deal!

Thank you!
  • kblue2007
    Options
    I started out at 2lbs a week as well but after a month I ended up changing it to 1 lb a week and it seemed to be easier for me to do. I do eat back my exercise calories and I have lost 10lbs in 5 weeks.

Congrats!!! and thank you!!! Sometimes Its scary thinking about all those extra calories but when you hear success stories it really helps!
  • ImBabyBunny
    Options
    I have mine at 2lbs per week. I have 17 more pounds to lose. I didn't know if that is considered to little to still have a 2lb a week goal? I know if life gets really crazy, I will have it at 1lb per week. Or I just plan on maintaining my current weight for the week, because I can't deal with trying to get down 2 more pounds when things get REALLY crazy. Congrats on your successful weight lose and all your hard work!
  • kblue2007
    Options
    I have mine at 2lbs per week. I have 17 more pounds to lose. I didn't know if that is considered to little to still have a 2lb a week goal? I know if life gets really crazy, I will have it at 1lb per week. Or I just plan on maintaining my current weight for the week, because I can't deal with trying to get down 2 more pounds when things get REALLY crazy. Congrats on your successful weight lose and all your hard work!

Congrats on your weight loss :)
    I agree some weeks are much different than others and its great that you put everything into consideration, guess that's why you have been so successful!!! :happy: