P90X in addition to other workouts

Options
I am starting P90X(Lean) soon....but I also do Muay Thai and Krabi Krabong (both of which I have skipped the last couple months of while fully committing to Insanity). I want to finally get back to Muay Thai and Krabi Krabong, while at the same time getting going on P90X(Lean). Muay Thai is on Tuesday and Thursday nights, and Krabi Krabong is on Saturday early afternoons. I don't see how it's possible to fit it all of this in without having to extend the P90X(Lean) schedule out beyond the actual 90 days unless I

(a) have 2 days per week where I do 2 workouts, and also no rest days at all; or
(b) have 3 days per week where I do 2 workouts, but do have a rest day once a week.

I think both options are a bit too much and maybe a little crazy, especially given that we have pretty busy lives outside of exercising and I surely will miss workouts altogether along the way. I also want to set up my P90X(Lean) schedule so that Yoga X falls on Saturday or Sunday, because it's an hour-and-a-half workout, and I'd rather do something so lengthy on the weekend given that I'm already doing an hour-and-a-half of Muay Thai on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Any thoughts? Suggestions? Will P90X(Lean) be as effective if I don't get it all finished within the 90 days? I feel like maybe I should just do the P90X(Lean) workouts in the order they're supposed to happen, however long it takes me to do them all, adding in my Muay Thai and Krabi Krabong, taking days off when I need to for my busy life, but all the while not having double workouts on any given day?....but then I will feel like I didn't actually "do" P90X(Lean) properly if I don't finish it in 90 days. Or if I *do* extend it out beyond 90 days by adding Muay Thai (which is a lot of cardio) and Krabi Krabong -- maybe I should do P90X(Classic) instead of Lean?

Thank you!!

Replies

• Creiche
    Creiche Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I typically would just move the P90X workout to the next day if I had another intense activity (tennis, snowshoeing, etc.) on a given day. I've tried doubling up before and it's really tough...you may end up forcing yourself to finish one activity with no energy, which is a waste IMO.

I'm finishing my last week of P90X...after probably 110-115 days. I made sure to do all the workouts, but didn't stick rigidly to the 90 day limit.
  • jreese5226
    jreese5226 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    There's nothing that says you can't make your own hybrid program and still not have amazing results. I am on week 9 of P90X Classic and if there were days that I chose to do some other form of exercise, I just skipped the P90X workout for the day just so long as I was getting a similar calorie burn. And since you are doing lean, you'll be doing mostly cardio work anyway. I say, don't burn yourself out by trying to do too much. Make your own schedule and include the P90X workouts you like. Best of luck!
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    You need a rest day for sure. I can't really stress that enough.

Your body needs time to recover. You aren't doing yourself any favors by training 7 days a week as opposed to 5-6
  • therobinator
    therobinator Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    You need a rest day for sure. I can't really stress that enough.

Your body needs time to recover. You aren't doing yourself any favors by training 7 days a week as opposed to 5-6
    I know. Really, I do. That's why I think I'd be nuts otherwise. Lol. And I'd be getting plenty of rest days on those when the busy life schedule prevents working out at all. But I still know what you're saying, and I agree completely.

So, does anyone think that if I am adding in other (mostly cardio) Muay Thai workouts, that I should do P90X(Classic) instead of P90X(Lean)? Note: my goal is to lose weight a lot more than to get cut up. I still have 25+ pounds to lose before I even get down to 140 pounds (I am 5'2").
  • Stooooo
    Stooooo Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    Robin,

First there is nothing wrong with extending P90X beyond the 90 day time frame. Especially considering the reason you are extending it (doing even more exercise). You will get the results you are looking for. If you are ultra worried about missing work outs, then consider the days you do martial arts as you cardio work outs (ie. kenpo x, plyo, etc.)

Hope this helps and if you have any questions feel free to message me.

Stu
  • Nigel99
    Nigel99 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I started running about a month into doing P90, and it has been a challenge to try to do both. I try not to do both in one day, but at least one day a week I end up doing both (rarely back-to-back, however).

Sometimes I will substitute my running for the cardio day of P90, since I'm still getting a cardio workout in, and the circuit training isn't as easily substituted by running. Some weeks I have only run twice, and just tried to make them as effective as possible.

While you might not get the same exact results as if you followed P90X strictly, by doing the other workouts, you are going to end up with good results no matter what. One of the benefits I like from juggling two programs is that it does give you some variety here and there to break up the long program.

It is a challenge, but it can be done. Just try to make the best choices in what works best for you, how you feel, etc. and make sure you are getting some sort of rest day in there somewhere.
  • chaoticjelly
    Options
    If you have not done P90X before, I highly recommend the Classic workout for your first round. Building up the extra lean muscle will help you to burn additional fat. It is also a good base to venture into any other direction/program.

As for your previous question, you can do two workouts a day, IF your body allows you. You need to make sure that you have adequate nutrition so you do not bomb and that you don't over do something that might lead to injury.

Rest/Stretching is very important for your muscles, so you should have on day dedicated strictly to that.

Finally, even though P90X has the 90 day schedule, don't look at the program like that. Look at fitness as something you do for life. P180X can be just as effective if you eat clean, workout 5-6 days a week and push those workouts to get the most from your time.
  • Soooze
    Soooze Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    P90X lean is 4 days cardio 2 days weights... if you're doing other cardio exercises, I would stick to those and do the 2 P90X weight days.

I tried P90X lean and found it was too 'easy' for me. I moved to P90X classic where we do 3 weight days/week. On my cardio days, I do Plyo X and kickboxing classes or interval running. I don't like Cardio X and Kenpo X (easy compared to cardio classes at my gym)... but give them a try...if you're used to martial arts classes, you will probably find them a little on the easy side.

If you want crazy cardio, try Insanity :)
  • therobinator
    Options
    P90X lean is 4 days cardio 2 days weights... if you're doing other cardio exercises, I would stick to those and do the 2 P90X weight days.

I tried P90X lean and found it was too 'easy' for me. I moved to P90X classic where we do 3 weight days/week. On my cardio days, I do Plyo X and kickboxing classes or interval running. I don't like Cardio X and Kenpo X (easy compared to cardio classes at my gym)... but give them a try...if you're used to martial arts classes, you will probably find them a little on the easy side.

If you want crazy cardio, try Insanity :)
    I feel what you're saying here totally. I've studied the various P90X schedules deeply trying to decide which one to use (since my focus at this point is to lose 25 pounds), but given how athletic and already trained I am and how much weightlifting experience I have, I am worried that Lean could be too easy for me, as well. On the other hand, I worry that I won't see the weight loss that I want to with Classic (rather staying the same weight while transforming fat into muscle).

As for Insanity - I've already done it. :) While it was definitely hard, I must say it wasn't as hard as I thought it'd be. Maybe that means something wrt how easy Lean would be for me? ;)
  • chaoticjelly
    Options
    Hey robinator, quick question...

If you are already in good shape, why are you concerned about weight? If you weighed 400 lbs, but had a lean muscular appearance, would it matter?

Don't be fixated as much on weight as you would how your clothes fit and losing body fat. I know people use weight as a motivator, but there are better measures for fitness and health!
  • therobinator
    Options
    Hey robinator, quick question...

If you are already in good shape, why are you concerned about weight? If you weighed 400 lbs, but had a lean muscular appearance, would it matter?

Don't be fixated as much on weight as you would how your clothes fit and losing body fat. I know people use weight as a motivator, but there are better measures for fitness and health!
    I am in excellent shape - windwise and strengthwise (but there is still much room for improvement on all of my numbers, weight included). I have a good layer of fat over all that muscle. Just because a person can exercise harder and longer than someone else doesn't mean they don't need/want to lose pounds along with getting more toned and lean. Personally, I want to wear a bikini this summer (once and for all) and no longer be the super-strong girl with huge thighs to prove it. :)

My problem comes from weight training while playing hockey in college. I gained about 30 pounds of muscle over those 4 years, and even more weight (mostly fat) afterwards. So, yes, while I am very strong, I am not very lean. I want to lose weight -- fat weight. And while I don't plan to, if I did happened to lose some muscle in the process, it woudn't be the end of the world. I don't need to be able to bench press 100 pounds anymore. Lol.

And yes there are other measurements besides just weight that mean a lot.....which reminds me that I need to contact my gym to see if they do body fat percentage testing there.
  • chaoticjelly
    Options
    Gotcha...

Personally, I think another round of Insanity is going to burn more fat than a round of P90X lean. You might actually find it a bit easy.

Did you have good results with round 1 of Insanity?
  • Stooooo
    Stooooo Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    Gotcha...

Personally, I think another round of Insanity is going to burn more fat than a round of P90X lean. You might actually find it a bit easy.

I agree with this. P90X Lean is like a starters version of P90X. Either do Classic or do another round of Insanity. Heck you could even do the new Insanity: The Asylum
  • therobinator
    Options
    Gotcha...

I lost 16.2 pounds and several inches with Insanity, but honestly, I was getting a bit bored with it by the end. Not bored because it wasn't challenging, but rather because I was getting tired of the same moves and always knowing what was coming. I get bored easily, it's a problem with me. Lol. I will do another round of Insanity someday, or an Insanity/P90X hybrid, just not in the next few months, though. I really want to be able to say I did P90X within the 90 days, but I don't see it as possible if I am also going to get my @$$ back to Muay Thai class as well.
  • therobinator
    Options
    P90X Lean is like a starters version of P90X. Either do Classic or do another round of Insanity. Heck you could even do the new Insanity: The Asylum
    I think I will do Classic on an extended schedule with my Muay Thai and Krabi Krabong classes worked in....no double workout days....and with the one day off per week. Hopefully, this way I will lose weight while getting totally ripped, and not just get ripped without losing any pounds as can easily happen with P90X. I figure with my personally tailored plan, I can get all the benefits of Classic by actually doing all the weightlifting (some of it is left out of Lean), but also get the weight loss benefits of Lean by adding in my extra cardio (Muay Thai) that would otherwise have been included with Lean's extra cardio days. I might also add Cardio X back into the rotation, as Classic doesn't even use that DVD.
  • therobinator
    Options
    Heck you could even do the new Insanity: The Asylum
    And I will do Asylum.....at some time in the future....if for no reason other than just to say I did it. But for now, as I mentioned earlier, I am bit bored with Shaun T's moves (and that's not his fault at all -- it's all me).
  • chaoticjelly
    Options
    Sounds like a successful plan is shaping up! Keep us updated!
  • therobinator
    Options
    Sounds like a successful plan is shaping up! Keep us updated!
    After talking to a few more people and getting some mroe information, I think I've decided that I will do my own version of Doubles....i.e. Classic using low weight/high reps rather than high weight/low reps, plus my Muay Thai/Krabi Krabong classes thrown in. If I have to extend the 90 days, so be it. I am realizing that I am totally over thinking this, because there is no way I am going to stick to everything exactly for exactly 90 days. Inevitably, due to social obligations and other scheduling comflicts, plus fatigue and laziness, etc. -- things will get moved, switched, delayed, or otherwise altered. And as long as I am not doing cardio all the time or only weights all the time, it will work. A fitness plan is a fitness plan is a fitness plan, and they are all customizable yet still just as effective. I need to chill, but you all knew that. :)
  • Soooze
    Soooze Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Good to see you have a plan!
    I am in pretty good shape myself, underneath a bit of fat that I'm trying to lose... I don't have difficulty getting exercise in, it's the nutrition part that will determine what I (and you) will look like at the end of 90 days.

I tried getting in 2 workouts/day and although I felt proud to do it... I was pooped! With 2 young kids, I realized that getting up at 5am to workout and then again at lunch time, I was way too tired in the evenings and when I'm tired, I crave sugary foods :( So, now, I sleep that extra hour in the morning, get a REAL good workout in at lunch, and go to bed early at night without going OVER my calories!

Just for kicks, go check out this MFP member and check her results. Nutrition plays an important part in all of this!
    Let me know what you think! (I love her back! I'll get me one of those one day!)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/226755-diary-of-a-pudgy-gym-rat
  • therobinator
    Options
    I don't have difficulty getting exercise in, it's the nutrition part that will determine what I (and you) will look like at the end of 90 days.
    I plan to stick as close as possible to the P90X nutrition plan micronutrient ratios, changing the ratios as the program goes along with their changes....same as I did with Insanity.