Newbie!

fancythis
fancythis Posts: 20
edited September 26 in Introduce Yourself
Hello!

A friend of mine told me about this website and I'm going to give it a try.

My eating is out of control. I work like crazy, and I use that as an excuse to eat poorly (ie. whenever I can find the time!) and then doubly use it when I'm not working. It's a bit of a downward spiral and I'm desperately trying to get out of it.

I've always had some difficulty generally eating healthy, I'm no stranger to Weight Watchers programs, etc, however I'm of the opinion that those are only shorter term solutions.

One of my goals, is to cut down sodium. Since I tend to eat a lot of the frozen dinners because they're quick, my sodium is through the roof. Another goal of mine, is to drop 30 pounds (for now), because I've promised myself a new tattoo when that happens!

Some say it's just as simple as eating fresh fruits and veggies, but to someone who hasn't really done that, it's not that easy.

I'm really hoping to find some support and fresh ideas on this site.

Thanks & have a great day :-)

Replies

• :smile: Welcome, and best of luck to you! I have just started as well so I will send you a friend requestr, we can help to support each other.
  • carriedag
    carriedag Posts: 31 Member
    I want to get a tattoo when I reach my goal too! Good luck to you! This site has really helped me to keep on track. If you simply start tracking the food you eat each day religiously, it will make a difference. When I plan to eat something, I think about the fact that I'll have to add it to my list. It affects my choices. I don't plan to track my food forever but I'm doing it now to get myself back into healthy habits. So far, 10 pounds down! Taking it one day at a time. =)
  • Lbean22
    Lbean22 Posts: 32
    I have much of the same problems as you!! Good luck! Let me know if you need some support!
  • KLo924
    KLo924 Posts: 379 Member
    Hello! I'm also new, and also need to cut down on my sodium (my BP is borderline); and I work like crazy (grad student plus work part time), which has been a constant excuse for me; and I've told myself I can't get any new tattoos until I lose a bit of weight! :) Twins!

I'm not sure how this all works yet, but I'll see if I can friend request and we can help support each other!

- Kristin
  • ascrof
    ascrof Posts: 34
    good luck.....my bp was also high (138/95) as well and after 3 months i checked it yesterday and it was 128/84...so this is working :)
  • Nigel99
    Nigel99 Posts: 498 Member
    Hi, and welcome to MFP! This site really is helpful, and is filled with good information, support and motivation.

I didn't track sodium for the first week of my stay at MFP, and when I started to track it, i was really surprised at how much sodium I was taking in every day. I got it under control pretty quickly, but it is still pretty amazing at how fast it will add up for the day. Most days, I am doing very well with the sodium now. Frozen and packaged meals are definitely going to be brutal on your sodium levels. Frozen veggies are fine as long as they are not the seasoned or sauced variety. Fresher is better, but I absolutely know that eating on the go is tough when you are pinched for time.

Feel free to add me as a friend (that goes for anybody watching their sodium), and I'll be happy to offer support and share what I've learned in tracking my sodium. I haven't given up that many foods, but I'm definitely watching how and when I'm eating them.

Best of luck in reaching your goals!
  • Sta83cy
    Sta83cy Posts: 14
    One thing i found that has really helped me a lot is pre-planning. I'll cook up some chicken or ground turkey and that's my go to, I also keep the frozen steamers bags of veggies in my fridge. That way I can take them to work with me and i have a meal ready to go. I really like the bags of salad too. You have to watch your sodium with the dressings and cheese, but you can always get sunflower seeds with no salt and different toppings for it. The first couple of times you grocery shop it'll take you a little while, but it does get a lot easier. I work retail and right next to a bunch of fast food places. If you start making the little choices (i.e. choose a salad at subway instead of a sandwich, or getting a 6 inch wheat instead) it starts adding up really quickly. Try asking for nutritional info at the places you eat, I have found a lot of fast food places are starting to pass those out and it's a real eye opener when you really see what you are eating.
  • fancythis
    fancythis Posts: 20
This discussion has been closed.