Don't forget to exercise the most important muscle

Options
I have been on here just over a month now and I love the site but I am seeing a lot of people ask for advice. I think it is good to throw ideas and experiences around but I am seeing something on here that troubles me. Many people are posting things that just aren't true. I have seen people tell people bananas slow down metabolism. I researched this online and found nothing to support that statement. I have seen people say to not eat tuna from a can because of the risk of mercury but they tell people to eat the tuna in the pouches. Well, it's not like the tuna in the can and tuna in the pouch are different tuna so what is the difference? Plus, if you are afraid of mercury poising and you want to go the route of skipping tuna you should also avoid all predator fish. I could go on, but I think you get the point.

So, I want to remind people of two things. You should really research something before you post it. What you think is right because your mom or Oprah told you so may not be correct. Second, you should not take advice on face value. Do your own research. I know for myself, I remember things longer if I research them versus just having someone tell me the answer. In other words.........don't forget to exercise your most important muscle, the brain. Now, you should be thinking, 'Is the brain really a muscle?" Well, research it and find out. I could tell you the answer, but I might be wrong. :bigsmile:

Replies

• timeforme23
    timeforme23 Posts: 461
    Options
    Completely agree. Thanks for posting!
  • Keefypoos
    Keefypoos Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    love this post
  • lhurtubise
    lhurtubise Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Nice :-) . I am a teacher so I am all about using your own brain. I love hearing new tips but I also do research on everything I want to know!
  • 512cheangela
    Options
    If you rub the belly of a spanish wookie monster you can eat back all of your exercise calories. It was on the interwebs. Its true.
  • RichB77
    RichB77 Posts: 88
    Options
    Priceless!!!!
    I concur whole-heartedly!!!

:drinker:
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    At the bottom of every forum page is a similar reminder
    "Posts by members, moderators and admins should not be considered medical advice and no guarantee is made against accuracy."
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    agreed.

Too many people give poor advice without having any research to back it up.
    They read it and repeat it.
  • dawnzerdawn
    dawnzerdawn Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Great advice, I wish more people would use it and listen!! :wink:
  • funkythreads2004
    funkythreads2004 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    hahahahahaha love it!
  • funkythreads2004
    funkythreads2004 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    hahahahahaha love it!
  • Mairgheal
    Mairgheal Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    A very long OP, while you could have just said: JFGI :wink:
  • SheehyCFC
    SheehyCFC Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    And please, for the love of God - don't quote Wikipedia as a source!

It can be used for "general content" but it is user-written, so make sure to do more fact-digging than that.
  • SheehyCFC
    SheehyCFC Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    If you rub the belly of a spanish wookie monster you can eat back all of your exercise calories. It was on the interwebs. Its true.

I could have sworn it was the Italian wookie monster - dammit, I've been doing this wrong all along!
  • amyilene03
    amyilene03 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Awesome post! Thank you!
  • antzeepantz
    Options
    Beautiful!!! Bravo!!! Say it like it is. I agree 100 %. I read, I listen, I research. I might take some of what I read, some of what I hear, research myself, and make decisions based on everything that works best for me! Most importantly, I listen and feel what my body is telling me. One of the great things about this website is being able to TRACK your movements. Therefore being able to watch for patterns or routines that have positive/negative results both physically and mentally.
  • JenBrown0210
    JenBrown0210 Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    Hmm where is the "like" button!?! I agree. Way to many people post wrong information. I usually leave a post saying something like" please do some research yourself to find the best things for you" or to speak with a doctor ect.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Nicely said! :drinker:
  • msmindyf
    msmindyf Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Great post.
  • SakanaUshi
    Options
    So good. And so true. At least I think so....

*runs off to research it*