Getting enough calories

Options
When my workouts are factored into my caloric goals, I need to eat around 1600-1800. I have trouble meeting that. I typically get around 1400-1500 calories (Insanity workouts with Chalean Extreme strength workouts) but almost always go over in protein and fat, but am below in carbs. When I add in more calories to reach the goal, it says I'll weigh more in 5 weeks than when I stick to eating under my goal. Any advice as to get those last 200-300 calories in that won't add more fat and protein?

Replies

• lua0210
    lua0210 Posts: 7
    Options
    I literally had this exact same problem. I would try eating some fruits that are higher calorie, like mangoes or bananas, or something that's just straight carbs, like wheat thins or whatever crackers you like. I put up a similar thread yesterday and a lot of people suggested I try adding in more nuts and peanut butter, but that would also add fat to your diet.
  • Lisiebird
    Lisiebird Posts: 45
    Options
    Exactly! I can't figure it out! I tried adding in more fruit and nuts yesterday and that messed with my protein and fat. I still couldn't get it to balance. I'm glad I'm not the only one having this problem though. I also have no idea how to log my Insanity workouts (as vigorous calisthenics or high impact aerobics). That would probably change numbers slightly.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I think I was eating too few calories and my weight loss has stalled for three weeks. I upped it to 1450 calories/day but I am also having trouble finding a balance. I have my meals and snacks planned for today but I have 350 calories left and no fat grams or sugars left available. This is pretty much how it goes every day. It gets so confusing, should I just come in under on calories or eat some crackers or some other fat free, low sugar snack just to get the calories in, even if I don't feel hungry? Argggghhhh.

Just know you are not alone!
  • Dnsnyder
    Dnsnyder Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    How about whole wheat pasta? You could have it plain, with tomato sauce, with light italian dressing...there are lots of ways to eat pasta! Plus, it will provide you with both carbohydrates and fiber. I love having pasta with a veggie like broccoli or zucchini. Yum.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    You should always be exceeding MFP's default protein goals as they are set very low. Someone who regularly exercises should be getting at least .5g protein per pound of bodyweight. So don't worry about going over on protein! Your body needs it!

I'm not sure what's causing you to go over on fat without looking at your diary.

It's much easier to plan your day if you take the exercise calories into acount all day long. If you wait until you actually perform the exercise and then try to play 'catch-up' with calories, it's much more difficult.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I always have the same issue. I planned out everything for today and got around 1220 calories.. Minus my excerise,I'm only at 870 Net... I always then wind up eating junk to try and make up for it.. bah!
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Old fashioned oatmeal (not the packaged stuff). 1/2 cup dry (40 grams) has 150 calories but little fat and protein. I recommend using a food scale to measure it because when I use a measuring cup and weigh it, the calories are closer to 200. That's the problem with using measuring cups instead of a scale..big differences in actual calories consumed. Add some fruit (blueberries are my fav!) and cinnamon and it's delicious; no added sugar needed.

When it comes to sugar, don't focus on the total sugar consumed because there is a big difference between natural sugars (fruit, milk) and refined or "added" sugars. As long as your total sugars are coming mostly from natural whole foods, you're fine.

Why are you worried about eating more protein? MFP's default for protein (15% of total calories) is low. Lean protein will help minimize muscle loss while operating at a calorie deficit and it helps you feel full longer. Lean proteins can be 20-40% of total calories depending on how you exercise. If you're lifting weights, you definittely need more protein than MFP's default.
  • neverrgiveup
    Options
    Eat some almonds :) They are super healthy for you and has a lot of calories in them
  • Lisiebird
    Lisiebird Posts: 45
    Options
    With my workouts factored in, I should get 1,745 calores, 239 carbs, 58 fat, and 65 protein. My totals (for what I've eaten so far and have planned) are 1,556 cals 234 carbs, 39 fat, and 81 protein with 189 cals left to go (which is actually good for me, I'm usually 200-300 under), so you can see I'm way over with my protein. I am weight lifting though (with Chalean Extreme). I follow the TurboFire and Insanity nutrition guides with some modifications since I'm a vegetarian, but I eat a pretty healthy diet. My fat doesn't always go over but it has in the last week or so.
  • ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    You can adjust your calorie needs in your diary. I have mine set at 50% carbs, 30% protein, and 20% fat because I needed more protein with all the exercise I've been doing. i've tinkered with the percentages a few times, but that's the balance that works for me.