30 Day Shred and Water Gain?

Options
Hi all,
I started the 30 day shred last Friday after doing basically no exercise at for aaaages. I am on day 5 (level one), but for the past 3 days I have gained 5lbs - I know this is water weight as I can *see* it in my face and feel it in my fingers (I call it sausage finger syndrome). From what I've googled and read on here I think its my muscles retaining water, but my question is how do I get rid of it?

Ive seen suggestions to reduce workouts, intensity etc but that kind of defeats the principle of it being a 30 day thing and I'm only on level one so I cant step it back a notch :blushing:

Ive upped my water intake today trying to flush it out so to speak, but am I doing the right thing? And when will it go away?! I'm enjoying exercising and don't want to stop now when I'm really motivated.

TIA for any help!

Replies

• bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it. It will eventually adjust itself.

Water weight is weight, but you should be looking for "fat loss" not "weight loss".
    Working out with weights is going to help change your body composition, so even if you don't lose much weight, you're going to look much better.

you can be 140 pounds and look terrible, or you can be 140 pounds and look good. It all depends on your body composition.
    So I say, don't worry about your muscles holding onto water.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    What's your sodium intake?
  • brendansmom1
    brendansmom1 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Just keep going. If your muscles are sore, you probably are holding on to some water...it is a natural function to help them recover, or so I have been told.

Just don't give up. Keep drinking water and keep watching your diet and you WILL see the changes soon!!!
  • veggeslady
    Options
    On my swollen days I take a cranberry supplement or drink tea, such as green tea or cran-aid. They help you excrete the excess water. it may take a bit for your body to get used to working out!
  • yarnhoarder
    yarnhoarder Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I did all of level one for the 30 day shred, granted i quit it after. But after i stopped doing it, I started losing all the weight i gained during the period i did the exercise, plus 1 or 2 more. Once you stop for a while you'll see the scale drop. My suggestion is if you can continue, then continue it! You'll see the results way later on. Just keep telling yourself that. Unfortunately me saying that to myself wasn't good enough for me to keep going. YOU CAN DO IT! :flowerforyou:
  • KristynStephens15
    KristynStephens15 Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    I started the shred friday as well and have gained a lb. Ive heard when your muscles are being worked and sore they retain water. Im just going to keep my water intake high and let my muscles flush the water naturally. Be patient we are definitly on the right track.
  • Supermel
    Supermel Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I did not have this happen. But i did do measuremnts and lost crazy inches the first time i did the video :)
  • AussieLaurelle
    AussieLaurelle Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Its very common to gain 4-5 pound when you start a new/ different work out. This is caused by the muscles getting microscopic tears and therefor retaining water to help heal them. This usually last about 2 weeks. Once the muscles have repaired themselves and are used to the workout, the water will drop. You'll probably find that all of a sudden you'll drop the 5lb and then some in the follow days after the initial drop.

Don't let this put you off drinking water though, the more water you drink the quicker it will flush out. If you dehydrate yourself, your body will only hold onto it longer.

So give yourself at least 2 weeks, if it hasn't dropped after 3 then you should look into your diet being the factor.

Alot of people freak out about the initial weight gain but keep at it :happy:

Good Luck

p.s check out this thread, there is also some good advice here

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/170556-question-about-30-day-shread-weight-gain?hl=weight+gain+new+workout#posts-2268267
  • celticmuse
    celticmuse Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Its very common to gain 4-5 pound when you start a new/ different work out. This is caused by the muscles getting microscopic tears and therefor retaining water to help heal them. This usually last about 2 weeks. Once the muscles have repaired themselves and are used to the workout, the water will drop. You'll probably find that all of a sudden you'll drop the 5lb and then some in the follow days after the initial drop.

Don't let this put you off drinking water though, the more water you drink the quicker it will flush out. If you dehydrate yourself, your body will only hold onto it longer.

So give yourself at least 2 weeks, if it hasn't dropped after 3 then you should look into your diet being the factor.

Alot of people freak out about the initial weight gain but keep at it :happy:

Good Luck

p.s check out this thread, there is also some good advice here

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/170556-question-about-30-day-shread-weight-gain?hl=weight+gain+new+workout#posts-2268267

This is very helpful and re-assuring information. I have gained 2 lbs. after doing the Shred for only 2 days, but my muscles are very sore. However, I noticed that my BF % has also dropped, so I plan to stick with it and be patient.