I need advice!

Options
This Easter was a disaster for me! It is so hard to count calories and watch portions when people make things and expect you to eat it! It is especially hard for me because I am Indian and I can't count the calories in my mom's curries!

I am going to my aunt's house this weekend and I need some advice of ways to lower my eating! Especially with things when I don't know the calorie intake. Maybe ideas for workouts with no weights!

Eating with the family is always my hardest obstacle! I am going on a cruise in less than 90 days in Italy and I want to lose another 25 lbs before then-- so I HAVE to do everything I can do!

Replies

• VixFit2011
    VixFit2011 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I went to my daughter's on Easter and just ate smaller portions and jotted down what I ate so I could enter them when I got home.
  • Miss_Chievous_wechange
    Miss_Chievous_wechange Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    Small portions.
  • Itsanewdave
    Options
    My advice would be to drink fluids before the meals, and try to eat the dishes with the most fiber first. That will help you fill up faster so you can say "No Thanks, I'm full"
  • weallhaveastory
    Options
    I have the SAME issue with family AND friends! Small portions like everyone has already said. I also have started saying I am very full BUT I will be happy to take it home....Do u have any to go plates?
  • LauraLLee
    LauraLLee Posts: 210
    Options
    Explain to your family that you are on this weight loss journey, and ask for their support. Do some research and find out what is in the food they are feeding you so you can portion appropriately. Bring a scale and weigh your food. Smaller portions as all have said. For exercise you can take a walk or a jog? bring a workout video, do push ups, sit ups...etc.
  • mk820
    mk820 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Ask your relative for the wonderful recipes then use the tool here to figure out cals.
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Do you know their recipes? Or at least most of the ingredients? You could use the recipe tool to get an estimate of the calories if you do. If not, then try to stay with reasonable portions. Also, are salad or fruit available?

Walking is almost always a great exercise and doesn't take any equipment other than comfortable shoes. Or if the weather isn't nice, you could bring some music and dance. There's also just basic exercises like squats, lunges, sit ups, and push ups.

Good luck and I hope you figure out how to make your visits with family fit your goals and still be fun.
  • foreverloved
    foreverloved Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this as well. Just try as best you can not to over-eat! Then if you can get recipes you can get cals for it later on this site or in the past I've used www.allrecipes.com to find the closest match to that dish as I can and use their nutrition info. It's not perfect but at least it keeps you in the right track!
  • prestonsmama09
    Options
    will they be offended if you do not eat what they are making? if not and they understand you are trying super hard to lose weight, why not just bring a frozen dinner, like a heatly choice or a smart ones. something like that, so you can be sure you are eating healthy and know exactly what you are putting in your body w/o having to guess. : )
  • cc2r1511
    cc2r1511 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    My problem with letting them know is that my uncle is in super shape and he likes to make fun of people who aren't or who are trying to do something about it! It's rude, I know, but he has always been that way.

Finding the calories is nearly impossible because the ingredients are not things that come with labels. They are indian ingredients and my family cooks from memory... no recipes really. It would be too much work on their part to make them do that! Especially since we will be there Friday afternoon until Sunday afternoon and there may be as many as 12 people there. I can't just say 1/4 of "this" dish.

I am looking for triggers that will help me to remember when to stop eating or exercises that i can do in my room.
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Take a small portion of your favorite dishes. Eat them. Then stop. End of story. No more than what will fit on a plate- and not heaped!

As far as exercise, situps, pushups, lunges, planks, wall sits, side planks, plank jacks, jumping jacks, jump rope (if it's big enough), mountain climbers, high knees. These can all be done in a room.
  • peytjalmom
    Options
    A cup of most carbs (rice, beans, oatmeal) is around 200-300 calories, a cup beef stew or casserole is 300-400 calories. Use these numbers and look at what is in the dish to estimate how many calories a cup of the dish is.. If it has fats(oil or cheese), go to the higher end of the scale. This is what I do to estimate when I have no idea of the count.
  • cc2r1511
    cc2r1511 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Great! Thank you so much! Those are great tips!