Gaining weight on 30 day shred!!!!!!

Options
Please tell me I'm not the only one who has gained weight while doing JM 30 day shred. Is there anything I can do (besides stopping) to counter act this?

Replies

• dietfree2012
    dietfree2012 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    how much weight are we talking? and are your calories intact? this will help decipher what is going on..
  • KristynStephens15
    KristynStephens15 Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    i started the shred friday and have a thread going, sounds like all of us have gained. I myself, 5 days in am up 2 lbs. up your water intake and keep at it.
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    how far in are you?

it could just beat water weight.
  • Helice
    Helice Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Im sure the weight gain is down to you building muscles.
    Relax..
    Measure yourself, and go by your size and how you feel, not by what the scales say.
    Good luck on your weight loss journey!!
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Plenty of water and give it time :) If you're working your muscles and they aren't used to it you can hold extra water to facilitate the repairs.
  • YPabe
    YPabe Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thats not a bad thing, it means you are building up muscles! Which could be heavier than fat. Try to measure specific parts of your body, you could be losing inches which is better.
  • doramouse
    doramouse Posts: 160
    Options
    Is this your first time exercising? I gained a few pounds when I started.

If it's not - then make sure you are drinking tons of water, really watch the salt and really watch your calories.
    Eat back at least half of your exercise calories. I'm doing the 30 day shred and using my HRM and burning about 320 calories for that exercise - my point being - don't over estimate the calories you are burning doing this either.

Just initial thoughts.
    Keep it up - you are probably going to lose inches! :)
  • wagn27
    wagn27 Posts: 65
    Options
    I did 30 DS a couple of summers ago and was doing it every single day instead of giving myself a rest day. I noticed that my pants got tighter in the thighs, which freaked me out because they don't need to be any bigger! Someone told me I probably wasn't letting my body recover enough and I was retaining water. I'm sure you're body will adjust soon, and maybe you need to take a break for a day and do another type of exercise.
  • heathera1980
    Options
    I hope you measured first! Because you'll be gaining muscle, that'll add weight. Don't go by the scale. Go by measurements. I'm on day 21 and have only lost 2 pounds but am down over 10 inches (today is measure day so I can't give you an accurate number). Keep at it and drink LOTS of water too! :happy:
  • lisastrom
    lisastrom Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Obviously lots to say about this topic! I noticed the same thing. I feel it has to do with building muscle.
  • jtodacheeny
    jtodacheeny Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    So glad I'm not the only one!! I have gained about 3 pounds and am only on day 6!! Well, TOM is right around the corner, but I don't know if that has any thing to do with it!

In fact, I was so frustrated with the whole thing yesterday that I didn't do my 30 DS OR my C25K!!! I was totally miffed off and didn't care!!! Had a tiny meltdown with my husband after kiddos went to bed. UG!!! Rough day!!!

But thankfully today is a new day and we just need to keep on rollin'!!!
  • mydoc3
    mydoc3 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I have gained a pound so far. But from everything I have read that is normal. We are building muscle. So just keep at it! Hopefully in the end we will see results with the tape measure.

Barb
  • harpcason
    harpcason Posts: 40
    Options
    I am on Day 9 and have put on 3 lbs. But, I have lost an inch in my upper waist. That is the only difference that I see in me. I am really looking forward to doing Level 2, I am sure that I will see some change when I do that one.
  • yummy♥
    yummy♥ Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    totally gained!!! and i had only lost 9lbs since beginning in Jan, so even adding a few pounds back feels like a lot.

i have also been unable to maintain my full workouts (regular cardio & strength) at the gym while doing the 30DS (too tiring on some muscles and sadly, just not enough time for both everyday) so i imagine that also effects things.

but ... I have seen a loss in my measurements. i'm so glad i dug out my measuring tape after the first day, now 10 days in i have those numbers to track results since my scale has been refusing to cooperate :)

keep going, the results will be worth it!
  • pjd1973
    pjd1973 Posts: 37
    Options
    I've been drinking at least 64 oz. of water a day. Been doing 30 d.s. for about 2 weeks now only on the weekdays and have noticed about a 2-3 pound weight gain. I'm doing other exercises other then just 30 d.s.. I've also been careful with my calories and such. Usually leaving open 100-200 cal. per day.
  • dustyhockeymom
    dustyhockeymom Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I just bought JM 30 day shred and did the first day. I was so sore that I haven't gone back to it for a couple days. I was thinking of starting again today, but I think after reading this thread I am going to wait for a few weeks. I completely understand the principle and normally wouldn't have an issue with the temporary weight gain as long as I was loosing inches. But I am competing in a weight challenge at work that ends in a month and it is based completely on weight, so if I start now and gain retain or gain weight for the end fo the contest I won't win. I am in the top couple of people and I could really use the prize to buy new smaller clothes :-) So 30 day shred for me starts in June!
  • paubanda
    paubanda Posts: 34
    Options
    it's muscle mass! remember girls we r toning! even though we r doing cardio these muscles will burn more calories through out the day! make sure u r eating ur protien and drinking water ! dnt give up! remember day 10! measurments will tell u other wise! :) keep up the good work girls!
  • xaintes
    xaintes Posts: 129
    Options
    I gained a little more than 3 lb when I first started the Shred, but then it all came off after about a week and a half. This is pretty normal for starting a new workout routine.
  • pjd1973
    pjd1973 Posts: 37
    Options
    Thanks for all the help. It's good to know I'm not alone. I'll keep my eye on the prize and try not to let the scale freak me out!
  • nikg9
    nikg9 Posts: 7
    Options
    I am glad I am not the only one!!! I started it last week and gained at least 3 lbs! I could not believe it but when I think back to when I did P90X, I also gained weight but got so much stronger. I am not a runner and was able to run a 5K without ANY training at all!!! That tells ya something. Def need to measure the inches! And I also need to drink more water! At least we know we're all in the same boat!