Gift Ideas???

Options
Ok, so we are VERY low on funds this year....I need some ideas on gifts for my kids!!! Maybe something easy to make or CHEAP to buy! My daughter is 4 1/2 and son is 3.

Any ideas will be helful! Oh and did I mention, I am no good at crafts!

Replies

• KBagwell
    Options
    Ok, so we are VERY low on funds this year....I need some ideas on gifts for my kids!!! Maybe something easy to make or CHEAP to buy! My daughter is 4 1/2 and son is 3.

Any ideas will be helful! Oh and did I mention, I am no good at crafts!
  • Losing_It
    Losing_It Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    When kids are that little, they are much easier to please! Have you checked out your local Dollar Store or Family Dollar? The one here seems to have a lot of the "in" toys for half the price. I think Christmas is gonna be tight everywhere this year!:frown:
  • KBagwell
    Options
    Ive glanced at toys at the Dollar Tree but they seem so cheap....They have gotten things from there before and they seem to break in just a couple days and last no time! :ohwell:
  • annhjk
    annhjk Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Last year I cut down a lot - 1 outfit (they'd need it anyway), 1 book (tradition), 1 game (can be really cheap, there are lots of games under $10), 1 pair of PJ for them to wear to open stockings, and 1 toy (playdoh is great cheap gift!)
  • KBagwell
    Options
    I have gotten them 2 Playdoh sets from Big Lots. They have 2 PJ outfits each, but they could care less about clothes. But thats it.......
  • uneacadienne
    uneacadienne Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    What about a mason jar cookie recipe. Do you know what I mean? You put ingredients in a mason jar to make layers (hardly crafty :P) and then you add on the recipe, and then after christmas you can spend time making the cookies with your kids!
  • KBagwell
    Options
    Yea, the cookie jar idea could work! Got any recipes?
  • 515TeachNRun
    515TeachNRun Posts: 6,391 Member
    Options
    http://www.pastorswife.net/jars3.htm

Check out this website for plenty of recipe ideas.
  • uneacadienne
    uneacadienne Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    well yes, I've got two cookbooks on there jars, so it all depends what kind of cookies your kids would like! Anything from chocolate chip, gingerbread, corn flake cookies, monster cookies, jelly bean gems, gooey turtle bars, old-fashioned sugar cookies, snickerdoodles, banana nut, deluxe oatmeal, and tons more!!
  • cwjett
    cwjett Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    garage sales are good, you can buy alot of good toys.

I know i just had one and people racked up because i had tons of toys for sale that had never been opened! That just goes to show you that kids get way too much! lol
    Also, I look on craigslist, people put alot of good stuff on there for sale. At that age they don't know if it is brand new or not and they really don't care!

Good luck!
  • KBagwell
    Options
    uneacadienne---Do you mind PMing me the recipe for the chocolate chip and the frosted flake cookies?? It would be appreciated!

I want to go to some yardsales...used to go every Saturday but since money has gotten so tight, I haven't been able to do anything! :(
  • BrandNewLaura
    BrandNewLaura Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Ya know, Kristal, I was still thinking about your family today while I was at work (Kadence's package is in the mail by the way), and it occured to me that because of financial circumstances, you have an awesome opportunity to start a tradition of making holidays in your household about more than presents and toys. My brother and I were always spoiled rotten as kids although I know money was tight for my mom being a single mother...she put herself into debt over Christmas some years I'd bet...and the Christmas tree was always overflowing with gifts...and now that we're older and there's not as much that we want that we don't just buy throughout the year with our own money, it's really taken the magic out of the holidays, because all it's ever been about is gifts.

Sometimes I wonder what the holidays would be like now if they had been less about presents and more about what really matters when we were younger...what if we had made a whole day of decorating the tree as a family together...stringing popcorn and making paper garland and ornaments...drinking hot chocolate and baking cookies together...what if on Christmas morning we got up early and went to church together instead of tearing into the presents? what if we had gone caroling and had driven around looking at the Christmas lights in the neighborhood rather than sitting around making endless lists of toys that, once we had them, we would quickly forget?

I know I probably sound very "Little House on the Prairie" right now, but I think it'd be great if you could use this Christmas where money is a little tight to show your kids what Christmas is really about...start traditions with them that they will remember all their lives and share with their children someday...
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    Laura-- wouldn't it be a beautiful world if we ALL sounded Little House on the Prairie--

Last year we had no money for gifts. My parents always send each kid a $25 Walmart card, so the kids know to expect them. We asked the kids if they wanted to each keep their own card for themselves, or use it to buy for someone else. Unanimously, all the children shouted they wanted to shop for someone else.

So, they all picked a name out of a hat, and each child had $25 to spend on one sibling at Walmart. We all headed out, split up into groups, and had an absolute ball sneaking carts around the store, making sure gifts weren't seen. They all had to have their purchases approved by a parent, so as to avoid any duplicates-- for example, everyone buying Narnia for their person-- et cetera. It was precious, and I was so proud of the children who were so much more interested in giving than receiving.

okay-- so I'm gonna start crying now if I don't get outa here-- that's a nice memory-- sniff.

To answer the original question-- I'd hit the Dollar Store as mentioned before. Kids just like opening presents-- wrap a pack of bubble gum and they'd be thrilled.

God bless us all this day, my friends--
  • jenifergotti
    jenifergotti Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Do you have a website that people can sell their stuff on in your area?? Here in Utah it's KSL.com, it's the only place I shop! It's great, used stuff! See if their is one in your area. I have found some awsome stuff for my son at great prices?
    Good luck :smile:
  • Altagracia220
    Altagracia220 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    They are so young, they will love anything you give them! :)

Except clothing.