Quitting Smoking?

Hi guys, I've noticed that quite a few of you seem to be ex-smokers, and I could use your advice!

I don't smoke, never have, but my boyfriend smokes constantly. He says he wants to quit, and I know he is actually quite ashamed of the habit. Things have been stressful for him lately, and I've noticed a real increase in how often he smokes, which is really starting to worry me. He has been pretty sick this past year (stomach problems, not lung-related or anything) and has lost 40 lbs. even though he is very thin already. I think smoking calms him and helps him feel better, but I know it isn't good for him!

I don't want to pressure him into it, I know if he's not ready it won't work, but how can I help to encourage him to try, and in what ways can I be there for him when he does? What helped you when you were trying to quit? What should I expect? Any other advice?

Thanks so much!

Replies

• Hi guys, I've noticed that quite a few of you seem to be ex-smokers, and I could use your advice!

I don't smoke, never have, but my boyfriend smokes constantly. He says he wants to quit, and I know he is actually quite ashamed of the habit. Things have been stressful for him lately, and I've noticed a real increase in how often he smokes, which is really starting to worry me. He has been pretty sick this past year (stomach problems, not lung-related or anything) and has lost 40 lbs. even though he is very thin already. I think smoking calms him and helps him feel better, but I know it isn't good for him!

I don't want to pressure him into it, I know if he's not ready it won't work, but how can I help to encourage him to try, and in what ways can I be there for him when he does? What helped you when you were trying to quit? What should I expect? Any other advice?

Thanks so much!
  • This may sound crazy, but my friend did the laser treatment, and she never picked up a cigarette after that day, and her husband was still smoking, so the temptation was there.

But honestly, I feel it's a lot like losing weight. You have to one day just say, Enough is enough. And it has to be a decision from within.

The best advice I could give you is to continue to be a positive force in his life, and encourage him!

Good luck!
  • loreeb18
    loreeb18 Posts: 1,221 Member
    My husband quit cold turkey when our daughter was born. He was off for almost 3 weeks and was so busy that he didn't have time to smoke. It was really hard for him. He drives for work and that's when he smoked the most. When he first quit he chewed a lot of gum (like a pack a day) and he still drinks a lot of caffeine to get through. (He'll drink a 5-hr energy shot, a red bull, and then a vault pop.) But it's been 2 1/2 months and he hasn't smoked since.
  • punka274
    punka274 Posts: 895
    Hi guys, I've noticed that quite a few of you seem to be ex-smokers, and I could use your advice!

Thanks so much!

My husband and I both quit smoking. I quit when I found out I was pregnate,seven years ago and My husband, after a couple of time....managed to quit about three years ago. It was harder for him, he's 33 and had been smoking since he was 15.

I quit cold turkey but my DH had to have a little bit of help....he used those patches to help him! I don't think he was ever 'ready' to quit, I guess he got tired of me pestering him about it,lol.

When he announced that he was going to quit i tried to be encouraging as I could, I would tell him that 'I KNOW you can do it' and every day that he went smoke free i asked how he felt....asked if there was anything i could do to help? He chewed alot of gum. And in his 'weak' moments i told him to call me and i would talk him through it! It worked! I also told him that if he quit completely,then he could get a nintendo Wii.....lol, I guess that was reason enough for him to quit:wink:

I workout for stress and my DH plays golf so i guess thats what replaced the smoking....Does your boyfriend like to do anything that would help take his mind off of smoking?
  • allaboutme
    allaboutme Posts: 391 Member
    I quit a thousand times, til I finally quit the last time. Buy him the book Allen Carr's easy way to quit smoking, it is so logical, it worked for me completely. Porbably about $15 down there it was $20 here in Canada, less than two packs of cigarettes here. Since I quit in May of this year, have never had the desire to ever smoke, no matter how much I have been drinking or in any situation. I am done for good. (finally :bigsmile: ) Although that is the reason I am here, I tended to not pay attention to exercise or calories :)

Different things work fo different people, but this worked for me.
  • njksharp
    njksharp Posts: 60 Member
    I quit smoking three years ago using hypnosis. This will only work though if he really and truly ready to quit. I had two maybe three sessions. I have never had any cravings or anything.
  • allaboutme
    allaboutme Posts: 391 Member
    I quit smoking three years ago using hypnosis. This will only work though if he really and truly ready to quit. I had two maybe three sessions. I have never had any cravings or anything.

I agree to quit and stay quit, he really has to want it. Otherwise you brain is easily convinced otherwise, that is why I recommended the book, it makes a lot of sense and I like logic.
  • njksharp
    njksharp Posts: 60 Member
    I agree I know people who went back to smoking after a few years...I never heard of the book but I think when your trying to quit something so addictive you can never have to may resources...I just thought I put my experience out there since I smoked for like 15 years and it also worked for my mom who smoked for like 35 years but again we wanted to quit.
  • I am 22 and had been smoking since 14! I quit cold turkey, along with my hubby who had been smoking a year longer than me, back in May. I haven't wanted one since...it doesn't even bother me to be around people that smoke now. If he wants to do it bad enough, he can quit like we did. He has to WANT to do it!

Good luck!!!
  • rachel41
    rachel41 Posts: 354 Member
    iIquit smoking with the patches,I been smoke free for 4 years,It was not bad after the first month,the whole thing is that he needs to want to quit.For him self GOOD LUCK:flowerforyou:
This discussion has been closed.