Hey fitness pals... I could use a little push..

Options
inconsistency with ourselves is the greatest weakness of human nature.

The above Quote is one of my chief character flaws.. It does not allow me get to a place of success. I have never been on the message boards before so here it goes.. Maybe it is exactly what I need. Reading through many of your stories and I am so impressed with your consistency.. Sticking with it till you see positive results.. I am starting to see a pattern. I am good to go for a few weeks and as soon as I start to see some results I totally quit.. That makes no sense to me but looks like I am sabotaging myself..
I have never said that out loud to myself or anyone else.. Thanks for being here and will continue to look for friendly nudge of support on our journey to fitness and health... Godspeed to all my fitness pals out there..
:flowerforyou:

Replies

• Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    I can relate to what you are saying. While I did ultimately succeed at losing my goal of 40 pounds, it was with great effort and often with me being my own worse enemy. Now that I am in maintenance, I know I am saboutaging myself as the weight is creeping back on, ever so slowly, but I am aware I need to turn it around NOW! Hang in there and keep starting over as many times as it takes, even if it is several times a day! Success to you on your journey!
  • rwillard78
    Options
    Yes, we can all use a little push every once in a while. You have to constantly talk to yourself. Keep your goal in mind. What is your motivation. Remember that you have a goal and you can do it!
  • SkinnyOat
    SkinnyOat Posts: 28
    Options
    I am in the same boat. Get really motivated, lose a few, get ahead of myself and stop. However, I've been having the recurring thought lately. Seeing someone who is in shape (not just lucky to be skinny) compred to myself - their body reflects a series of consistent good decisions and my body reflects a series of consistent not-so-great decisions. So making good decisions once in a while isn't going to make a huge improvement in my overall health. However, a series of good decisions over a long period of time will. Good luck, we all need it sometimes!
  • daniran
    daniran Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I totally know what you mean. I'd established the same pattern. But, recognizing the problem is halfway to solving it. Being aware of our weakness' gives us the power to change it. So, that said..... Let's do this! This time let's make it all the way to the finish line! Are you with me?
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I can definitely say that I've been there on several occasions. I'm at the place currently now that usually it kicks in. I'm only 26 lbs aways from my goal weight. But guess what this time its different. I have set that as a challenge to myself to get pass this point.

You can do it to. You can get pass this point. You have to do what you just did...speak out loud to yourself and push through it.

Welcome to the board and get ready to get all the support you need.
  • raleighgoodwins
    raleighgoodwins Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate to your inconsistency! I am the same way. Recently I started working with a life coach whose niche is exercise and healthy lifestyle coaching. He introduced me to the concept of a personal 'saboteur' that works against us to achieve our goals. One exercise that he had me do was to think about what it was going to cost me to not make changes - cost me mentally, emotionally, physically and socially. I haven't figured out the social cost aspect yet but have thought a lot about what it would cost me mentally, emotionally, and physically. I figured out that I was spending a lot of time and energy focusing on NOT exercising and eating right. When I fall off the wagon, so to speak, I spend a lot of time focusing on feeling guilty and feeling bad about myself. I'm trying to use this revelation to motivate myself to stick with my exercise plan and healthy lifestyle changes that I have been trying to make. I don't know if this is helpful to you at all, but if you can think about what it is costing you to NOT do it and what the benefits are of doing it, then maybe you can use that to get over the inconsistency cycle. I'm on that same cycle too and I'm hoping that this helps me. I'm also setting little weekly goals for myself such as 1) buy a blender so that I can make healthy fruit/veggie shakes for breakfast; 2) buy the stuff I need to make the fruit/veggie shake; 3) find out how to join the gym at work. These are pretty basic goals but I feel like if I can get these done by Friday then I'm on my way to making some changes. I also read somewhere that if you do something 20 times it becomes a habit. So I'm hoping that after 6 weeks making and drinking these shakes and going to the gym will become a habit for me. I hope this helps you. Good Luck.
  • allanaaron
    allanaaron Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    inconsistency with ourselves is the greatest weakness of human nature

Okay, let's start with that expression - Let's rewrite it, right away. here's my new version;

inconsistency with ourselves is human nature - Allanaaron 4/26/2011

There's another quote - "Compare and despair" Comparing ourselves with others almost always lands up with despair. I know this is a joke but when I look at all my good qualities and write them down without mentioning all my shortcomings I get depressed comparing myself to myself. So here's a suggestion.

Stop going for consistency. To the best of your ability write in your food everyday and don't be concerned at all whether you're above or below your goal. On days you just can't write your food down, do it at the end of the day and try your best to remember. even the next day if you have to. (When I do that I try to do too many calories to keep me aware of the dangers of not checking in) - over time you will develop pleasure for the days you are under your goal (exercise on days you eat more) and develop "muscles" to check in every day. Do you brush your teeth everyday? You didn't do that when you were born (after getting your teeth) You developed the "muscle" to do it. Showing love to yourself is taking action and one action I suggest is accepting the fact - not that you're inconsistent, but that you're human. Unless you're not human and then i take back everything I said.
  • mmiley1111
    mmiley1111 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have been down this road alot in my lifetime. I am finding that setting small goals are helping me. If I do fall of the wagon I just say okay I didn't do good today but tomorrow is another day and I will do better tomorrow. I try and eat healthy the rest of that day . I am not allowing myself to feel guilty and beat myself up!! Keep on trying and keep on going don't give up!! We can all do this togather.:happy:
  • Debbisue52
    Debbisue52 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    You have the right idea. I believe consistency is key to success! We're doing a program at my TOPS group right now that revolves around making new, better, habits. It takes 4 weeks to create or change a habit. We all chose 3 different things to work on EVERY DAY for 4 weeks. Things like looking in the mirror every day and seeing the positive things about yourself and telling yourself you are beautiful and worthy, seeing what has changed for the better, instead of the negative....and things like making sure to drink the water every day...exercise or get some form of extra calorie burning activity every day...or just getting up and brushing your teeth, getting cleaned up and dressed FIRST thing in the morning every day. We all have different things we'd like to change. Being consistent by logging in here and keeping track of everything is a big help for me. I've been slacking on the exercise habit and need to get back on track with it! It helps me feel better and move better, and I know it helps me look better. I also have a problem with staying on track on the weekends as we spend them on a boat at a marina, which means lots of partying...lol. I'm working on that but it's not an easy task....I will not give up getting a handle on it! Just keep trying...pick one thing, or a few things, that will become good habits and help you on the journey to a healthier you and work on them EVERY DAY. If you skip a day just get right back on track the next day. It takes time to change old habits or create new ones. Before you know it those good habits we be something that just come naturally. Don't give up. Sometimes we all get off the path and take little side trips....but try to keep the destination in sight and get back on the path. Good luck!
  • theresamcd2
    theresamcd2 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I am moved to tears at the genuine support from all of you.. Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. I have been reluctant to post on message boards but so glad that I had done so. I feel very blessed.. You wont be able to keep me away now. lol
    See ya around..
  • cdskates
    cdskates Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Hey, you can DEFINITELY do this. I am totally the same way--as soon as I lose 5 pounds, I'm like "Oh, well yay, I can stop!"...except my goal is to lose 60. I find it amazing that you could actually share this on a post like this--it gave me chills. With God, and with your myfitnesspals, you can get through this. I believe in you.
  • CatRouth
    CatRouth Posts: 13
    Options
    Once a good amount of weight comes off you think to yourself oh i can eat that huge chinese or mcdonalds andonce you do that you sort of go on a binge you start slacking on your exercising i know thqt becaus eive done it myself its ok to treat yourself once in a while but in moderation say a chocolate bar at the end of the week or some new clothes anything that makes you feel good, you diet and exercise for a reason so bare that in mind, it is so difficult to give into old habbits but as soon as you put on a couple of pounds you feel like a complete faliure, best ing you can do is write a note to yourself or stick a picture of yourself up on the fridge, cooker, freezer etc.. Reminding yourself why your doing this, that will just give you an extra push not to over eat, when you go to the supermarket make a list of heakthy good foods and stick to that nothing else dont be tempted, there are thousands of lovely insperational people on this site and if we all help eachother we can achieve our goals :)
  • ericapledger
    ericapledger Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    You might need to dig a little further inside yourself and figure out why you are scared to lose weight. I had to deal with letting go of the emotions that held me back. My fat was a cocoon, it was saftey for me. Once I let that go I started t feel confident enough to let th fat go too. Hope that helps you. Good luck!!
  • theresamcd2
    theresamcd2 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hi there.. You have no idea how much your post helped me... Thanks for taking the time to encourage a complete stranger.. Be Blessed.
  • trimformecmb
    trimformecmb Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    teresa.......i think you have the right idea.....first step is acknowledging it!!!!!!!
    Second, is seeking help.......
    third is acting on it........
    I use to blame my weight issues on my inconsistant lifestyle, but then i realize that i consistnalty eat every day, so I started off with accountability...... I had to acknowlege that I had problems with self worth and even though I could do the work., i couldn't handle the success........that is slowly changing.......this group of folks are only caring about you and your success....that's all. no hidden agendas or sabatoging...just love..........take advantage of it!!!!!
    good luck.....feel free to add me asa friend and pretty soon impossible will be I'm possible!!!!!
  • REStone66
    Options
    I am pulling/praying for you! I just started this "Fitness Pal" on Sunday this week. I am amazed how many calories I mindlessly pop into my mouth throughout the day. A little nibble here a little nibble there and before you know it I have eaten enough calories to make a meal. And they are usually non-nutritional calories like.....CHOCOLATE! It is funny..I don't eat things because I don't want to see how many calories are in them. Never eat a Panera Chocolate Duet w/ Walnuts cookie..445 calories! I really had to push through the workout today but I made it...yeah. I feel sooooo good now. Remember you deserve success if you work for it. Don't hold yourself back!! God wants you to take care of His temple. He lives in you. Have a great day.:flowerforyou:
  • anthony438
    anthony438 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I've been there myself, and since you asked so nice, here you go:

/PUSH

there, you're welcome :wink:
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I am not a consistent person, but it hasn't ever bothered me. I'd rather be a fly by the seat of my pants person.

However, what I have realised is that in order to have the body you want, looking after it has to be completely natural to you, what changes you make need to fit into your life in a way that is long-term sustainable, or you won't stick with it. So find an exercise you like doing and do it because you love it, not because you feel you must.

Cruel as it sounds, everyone has the body they deserve (severe injury and birth defects aside. No one deserves those).