How do you get motivated?

Options
I have been seriously struggling with motivation to do anything, for about 3 weeks. All the things that used to motivate me don't anymore. So I was wondering what do you do to get motivated and keep motivated to eat well and exercise?

Replies

• Rangerz
    Rangerz Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thats easy, I put on a bikini and look in the mirror - haha works every time! :laugh:
  • Mark330
    Mark330 Posts: 75
    Options
    Give motivation to others on the site. Encourage people. Become the motivation that you need!
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    You can track measurements every month or so. And use that as motivation to keep getting "better" numbers.

A workout partner is fantastic to have. If you can find someone of similar size with similar goals, it's great to have someone who understands what you're doing.

The bikini would definately work. If you're trying to get a certain outfit.

Setting mini-goals with a reward is always good motivation too. Treat yourself to a mani/pedi every 5-10 pounds you lose. Or something similar.
  • naturechyld
    Options
    Thats easy, I put on a bikini and look in the mirror - haha works every time! :laugh:

Haha! I'm gonna half to try this...
  • happybrooke
    happybrooke Posts: 153
    Options
    Give motivation to others on the site. Encourage people. Become the motivation that you need!

That's great advice!!
  • CherylleeH
    Options
    I've made a list of my inspirations to get fit. Whenever I need a little motivation I just read that list.
  • happybrooke
    happybrooke Posts: 153
    Options
    I also just tell myself that it's something that must be done. Just like getting up and going to work. I never regret it once I'm up and moving!!
  • naturechyld
    Options

This is the absolute BEST advice....for ANY situation
  • jdg1mfp
    jdg1mfp Posts: 103
    Options
    Mirror, Scale, .......
  • pilotdrew
    pilotdrew Posts: 14
    Options
    Do you have any vacations coming up? My motivation is going on a honeymoon cruise next year. If I have to walk around without a shirt on for a week I need to drop 15-20lbs.
  • Janet39
    Janet39 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I always start by looking back through life at the things that used to interest me. To see if I would like to reaquaint myself. I have re-taken up sewing, after a break of 10 years.

When in one of those moods it is important to do anything (howerver silly or not you) rather than stagnate. one thing ususlly leads to another as these things do, and you wander into new interests.

Cook a meal you have never tried.

Try an exercise that you have not done yet.

Try a class in anything, new people mean new experiances.

Once you get going it will snowball.
  • bmckendree29
    Options
    i make small goals. that way when i reach it it gives me that boost of encouragement that i need and then i make a new one! i also have a picture of what i look like now beside one of me before i had kids. anytime i want to eat something i shouldn't - i look at that picture. good luck!
  • welly5
    welly5 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I took a month off after losing 20 pounds. I ate maitenence calories for that month and still logged my food to make sure I didn't gain weight but I gave my body a break from the calorie deficit. Now that I'm back at it my motivation came back completely! Plus I lost weight right away when I lowered my cals again.

I also use pinterest fitness boards as motivation :D
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I have a picture I took of my mom two days before she died. She was my height, hugely obese and suffering from an estrogen reactive form of breast cancer that had metastasized and had attacked her liver (which, by the time she went to the doctor, was five times normal.) I don't want my kids to have a picture like that of me. I know I'll die sometime--I just don't want it to be from refusing to take care of myself while I can.
  • Mairgheal
    Mairgheal Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I have little short-term motivations.
    Like dress shopping this weekend for a party next week. Or my sister's visit to us next month.
  • sinclare
    sinclare Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    i am motivated by how hard other people work that I have met on this site. Look at some of the "success stories."

Change one thing at a time so it's not so drastic. then those little successes will give you motivation to change more.