any exercises for the thigh muscles?

Options
I am handicapped and my therapist recommened me getting in the water to get my exercise. Well, she is right. I have been swimming for a year now and things have really been going well. The thing is i've noticed I have gotten real definition in the back of my legs but the front of my thighs still look awful. Are there any exercises out there for the front of the legs that I could do to help this? Preferably exercises I could do in my chair or holding onto something.

Thanks for the help!

Replies

• Andrea337
    Options
    Can you do lunges and squats? Thats an overall really great workout for the lower body!
  • hotjacki85
    hotjacki85 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    it depends on your disability... could you explain it?
  • LillysGranny
    Options
    Can you do leg extensions in your chair?
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Need elaboration on your injuries/disability.

You need to look up excercises that work your quads.

Squats are the best but those involved being able to stand.

if you have a gym membership
    leg-extensions.jpg

leg extensions would be the way to go.
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    The Quads (Front Thigh) are used in the straightening of the leg (extention of the knee).

If you're in a chair, you can to thigh extentions quite easily:

Sit up straight so thatg your back is in neutral position.

Extend your leg so that it's fully extended (Parallel to the floor). Hold for a couple seconds, feeling the squeeze in your quads then slowly lower down to the floor.

You can make them more difficult by using an ankle weight or some stretch tubing so you're pulling against resistance.

All the best! :-)
  • FunRun08
    FunRun08 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Seated leg curl, find a safe way to weight your foot, (or not ) lift until your leg is as close to parallel w the floor as you can then let it down slowly.This is great for the quads, you can also do a modified lunge/ squats standing behind a chair or something else sturdy to hold onto. only go as deep as you feel comfortable.
  • hmschultz
    hmschultz Posts: 32
    Options
    Maybe leg extensions with ankle weights? Those can be done from your chair! Good Luck! :)
  • BeastieGirl
    Options
    Hi,
    If you can stand, try doing hack squats. You need to stand on something that will slightly elevate your heels (I stand on a flat weight), keep your toes on the floor, a bit like wearing small heels. Stand against a wall with a gym ball between your back and the wall and squat. The ball will push your hips forward but try to keep your back straight, which means when you stand up your inner thighs will take the strain.With normal squats you need to stick your bottom out, but these will make your knees go over your toes, that's ok. This is great for shaping your inner thighs and making them slimmer.

Otherwise, just normal squats and lunges. In your chair, you could put some ankle weights on and gently lift your lower legs by bending at the knee, one at a time, to tone the front of your thighs. You could do the same exercise in the pool by facing in to the pool and lifting your legs.

Hope this helps:happy:
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    You can also use these ideas in your pool exercises Sit on the side of the pool, hold a water dumbbell between your ankles and use the resistance of the water and the dumbbell as weight when lifting your legs. It will also work on the inside of your thighs too by holding the dumbbell. Great job on getting moving.
  • Redbella
    Redbella Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    ty for the great advice. I was hit by a tornado in "09 and I broke my back and neck. At first I was paralyzed from the waist down but thks to God and lots of therapy I can move my legs now. They r just really weak from the mths of non-use and I cant walk. I can stand. Its pushing it to do 10 mins but I have been doing some squats. I also goto the Ymca to swim and they have a leg extentsion machine I can use. I really appreciate the imput and hopefully all these things will lead to my ultimate goal of walking again!!