New Runner

Options
So, I am pretty new to running. When I first started I could run for about 15 minutes at about 7 mph.
Yesterday I did 5 minute intervals of running and walking.
This morning when I did my 5:00 a.m. run, I could only run for like 2-3 minutes before having to stop and walk!
WHY!?
I feel like Iam not progressing.
The only difference I can see is that I didn't get a lot of sleep last night and that this was my first time running on asphalt and not dirt/bridge/trail.
Any advice?

PS. I hurt like heck today!

Replies

• meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Do you often wake up early to run, or is this like a first time thing? Generally morning workouts are a bit tough as you have to find the right balance of food to eat so you don't over eat and get sick, but still have enough energy to get through the workout. I like a banana, or sometimes I'll make a smoothie with : 1/2 banana, 1/2 c chilled coffee, 1/2c milk and a handful of spinach (and ice to taste)

Edit to add- the fuel is all good (caffiene, protein, carbs etc) but sometimes you just have a suck workout- it doesnt mean you arent progressing, it just means your body isn't up to the workout at the moment you have time to do it. It happens.
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    The story new runners everywhere learn... Too Much... Too Soon! You haven't allowed any recovery between your workouts.

You gotta build up your mileage slowly and take time to rest. Otherwise, you'll risk injury. I run about 25 miles a week and never run speed work two days in a row.

Try to alternate your workouts... 1 day Tempo, 1 day Long Slow run, 1 day Intervals and 1 day Hills. Leave time for rest between hard workouts. (i.e. I ran a half marathon Sunday, did a recovery walk\jog with the K9 yesterday and will do Speed Training\Intervals tonite)...
  • Samerah12
    Samerah12 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I'm fairly new to running as well but I've decided that just like with anything else some days just suck. Somedays I can run for what feels like forever and somedays I want to quit after 5 min. Other than that, maybe you pushed yourself too hard to begin with? Its real easy to do when you don't know your own limits yet. Stick with it! Make sure you have rest/off days and cut yourself a little slack in the expectations.
  • etroupe
    etroupe Posts: 54
    Options
    Your body might be signaling it needed a rest from the day before..have you tried running every other day? agree you need to put something light on your stomach to give you some fuel.
  • josavage
    josavage Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Some days you just don't have it in you. If this is the first time you really struggled, I wouldn't worry about it - today just wasn't your day. If it becomes a regular thing, maybe you need to decrease your speed or adjust what you are eating or drinking before your run. Maybe 5 am is just a tough time for you and you would do better later in the morning or in the evening.
  • clpolk1
    clpolk1 Posts: 27
    Options
    if you are new to running, check out the book, 50/50 by Dean Karnazes. My husband had the same thing happen when he took up running a few months ago. This book will tell you every thing to expect and has lots of tips to be successful. My husband went from barely being able to complete a 5K (3.2 miles) to, almost over night, busting out 10 mile runs!! It was amazing! Good luck!
  • jsonnett02
    jsonnett02 Posts: 110
    Options
    if you are just starting you may be over doing it to begin with. You're muslces may need a rest, or you may have started off too fast. In my morning runs I feel fresh and full of energy and tend to start to fast creating my body to get tired quicker. Did you eat anything or drink anything before running? you do need to fuel yourself. I know I can't eat or I get sick....but the gels/gu's help me with energy. Or a few drinks of sports drink.
  • elle18287
    elle18287 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    It isn't a first time thing. I didn't eat before. Just some water. I only got 5 hours of sleep though :/
    Does the asphalt have anything to do with getting more tired than when I am on a softer surface?
  • clpolk1
    clpolk1 Posts: 27
    Options
    Also...running on the treadmill IS NOT the same thing as pounding the pavement. What ever you can do on a treadmill...will be far less when you do it outside...lol
  • elle18287
    elle18287 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Why is it so much harder on the pavement? I hate it!
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Why is it so much harder on the pavement? I hate it!

With a treadmill you have a belt driving your forward momentum and controlling your pace.

On pavement, you have to work harder to maintain pace and forward momentum... it's all on you! Once you get used to it though... watch out! You'll never want to use a Dread Mill again.

Living up north here... on cold days I am forced to use a Dread Mill. I continue to run outside up to about -20 Fahrenheit and have run 5K's in colder (-40 with the windchill... ever had frostbite on your belly button?LOL). Anything colder than -20 and I'll stay in where it's warm and use the machine.
  • mosneakers
    mosneakers Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem!!! I wanted to go go go but my body was all "no no no!!!!"
    I was so excited to start to run and become a runner that I didn't let myself rest. I would push and push. That pushing led to shin splints. Try to avoid those (they're this shooting pain on your shins that you should not work through).
    Please also note that a "rest" day doesn't have to mean time spent on the couch catching up on a tv show. A rest day could be strength training, doing an eliptical, walking or swimming.
    Good luck!
  • ValMae
    ValMae Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I'm new to running too and am looking to build my endurance. I stumbled upon the C25K program and think that I am going to use that as a starting point...seemed like a good place to begin!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    if you are just starting you may be over doing it to begin with. You're muslces may need a rest, or you may have started off too fast. In my morning runs I feel fresh and full of energy and tend to start to fast creating my body to get tired quicker.
    Good point. The best thing is to ease into it slowly. Run the first half mile or so very easily and the rest feels much better. If you start out too fast you put your muscles into oxygen debt immediately and the rest of the run is going to feel miserable.