Plateau and calorie question

Options
I have been at a plateau now for over 2 months and I keep hearing everyone saying to up the calorie intake. I guess it just seemed too backwards to me before but I am willing to do whatever it takes. So what I want to know from all of you who have upped your calories is, what do you set them at? How do I know how many calories I should up my daily amount to?

Replies

• hotjacki85
    hotjacki85 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Rubie81
    Rubie81 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Hi there!
    A good start would be to make your diary public.
  • SaraTonin
    SaraTonin Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    An easy way is to set MFP to lower loss per week and see what it gives you. 1 lb or .5 lbs per week.
  • nyctraveler
    nyctraveler Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I upped from 1200 to 1390 (for a .5/lb a week loss setting)
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    I have heard that you should up them by 200 cals and then see if that helps if not up them another 100. I hope this helps. Good luck. I have tried this and it does help, but very hard for me to up my calories, I am with you it sounds backwards
  • A_New_Horizon
    A_New_Horizon Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    I have plateaued twice in my weight loss journey, and this pass time I zig-zagged my calories (have 1200 one day, 1400 the next, 1300 the next, etc). Do something different every day? Also, try changing up your workout routine. Every time I plateaued, I changed my workout routine, and it made a big difference for me. The best thing is don't give up!!! The process is slow and can get frustrating.
  • pinksoldier
    Options
    when i hit a plateau i upped my calories by 200. made all the difference in the world. i have no idea why, but i took peoples advice and gave it a whirl! i started at 1200 and now i'm at 1400. well over 2000 when i add my exercise calories.....

good luck to you~
  • Irishgirl07
    Irishgirl07 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Are you on FB? If so, fan Jillian Michaels. She gives out tips on her status, also on Twitter, if you go that route...

She posted this, just the other day:

Smart Tip: Often we struggle w/losing the last 5-15lbs because our calorie deficit is too HIGH. We misconstrue this as a "plateau", but in actuality our body is at a healthy weight, it's the aesthetic that we're unhappy with not our health. So if your cal deficit is over 1000 a day your body will signal a metabolic slow down as a survival response. No more than 1000 cal deficit a day is key for shred mode.

I know she says "the last 5-15 lbs", but the logic is there for any/all plateaus, I think. I am by no means an expert, but thought you might like to see this!
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    You could always keep your calories the same and incorporate a spike day. Take one day and overeat 500-1000 calories. Use this as your cheat day and it should help you reach your goals.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I have been at a plateau now for over 2 months and I keep hearing everyone saying to up the calorie intake. I guess it just seemed too backwards to me before but I am willing to do whatever it takes. So what I want to know from all of you who have upped your calories is, what do you set them at? How do I know how many calories I should up my daily amount to?

Depending on what your weight loss goal is you might just be able to knock it down a bit (i.e. 1lb to .5lb). This will increase your daily calories. .5lb loss per week is better than no loss per week. This is also known to break a plateau.

And yes, who would've thought increasing your calories could jumpstart weight loss. But it can.

A lot of people have had success with zig zagging their calories (go up for a couple of days then down for a couple of days.)

Also incorporate some weight/resistance training if you haven't. This will help to preserve your muscle mass - this is what makes your metabolism. (Calorie restriction and intense cardio exercise will cause quite a bit of muscle loss along with fat loss). You want to lose the body fat and try to hang onto the muscle mass.

I think Trainer Robin might explain it a bit in this link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/TrainerRobin/view/myth-or-fact-calories-in-versus-calories-out-3500-calories-one-pound-and-should-i-eat-my-exercise-calories-62012
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options
    don't be afraid to eat food! imagine your metabolism as a bonfire and the food you eat as wood. if you put too much wood on that fire, it's going to smother. if you put too little, it's going to wither away. neither of those options will keep it burning! play around with you calories and find the right combination for you - it's different for everyone.

i had a 12 week long plateau from late december until late march/early april. i upped my water intake from 64 ounces per day to 96 ounces. i've been slacking on my water this week too, and i can tell! that made a big difference for me, too.

biggest thing is, *stay the course*! your body will eventually comply - just keep at it! best of luck!
  • jdg1mfp
    jdg1mfp Posts: 103
    Options
    It sounds backwards but it does work.
    Now that being said its the thing I struggle with the most.
    When I concentrate on spacing my meals out (~6) and with relatively equal proportions I find myself always hungry (increased metabolism) but the weight starts to trend down.
    My problem is that I don't keep it up and then revert back to eating one large meal a day and nothing else.
    What I have found helps is to use protein shakes as meal substitutes and I force myself to drink them even if I'm not hungry according to a predetermined schedule.
    This is exactly what I'm about to do..............starting tomorrow :ohwell:
  • Sparksfly
    Sparksfly Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    To lose my first 20 lbs I was eating 1200 cals+ some exercise cals (not many), and then I plateaued for two months.
    I then upped my base cals to 1400 cals a day +half my exercise cals and lost another 17 lbs. Plateaued another two months.
    Now, my base calories are at 1520+ I eat all my exercise calories (i have a HRM with chest strap) , and I focus on weight training --eating high protein. Now I have slowly started to lose again. I am on my last 6-7lbs, which are vanity lbs bc I am within a healthy BMI.

I know it seems strange, but it definately works. Msg me if you have any other questions.

It would be helpful to know how many calories you are eating a day with exercise.
  • monicaP413
    monicaP413 Posts: 165
    Options
    Thank you everyone!! Everything you said was very helpful.

I am getting a HRM tomorrow and am excited to start seeing how many calories I actually burn!
  • SaraTonin
    SaraTonin Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    To lose my first 20 lbs I was eating 1200 cals+ some exercise cals (not many), and then I plateaued for two months.
    I then upped my base cals to 1400 cals a day +half my exercise cals and lost another 17 lbs. Plateaued another two months.
    Now, my base calories are at 1520+ I eat all my exercise calories (i have a HRM with chest strap) , and I focus on weight training --eating high protein. Now I have slowly started to lose again. I am on my last 6-7lbs, which are vanity lbs bc I am within a healthy BMI.

I know it seems strange, but it definately works. Msg me if you have any other questions.

It would be helpful to know how many calories you are eating a day with exercise.

This is awesome!!! Love this post.