Trying this for the 2nd time, determined to make it work!

Options
hi everyone,

I'm an 18 year old student - I tried this last year but wasn't very serious about it. But now I've never been so heavy (218lbs). It really effects my confidence when I'm with girls, having photos taken, swimming etc.

I really want to lose about a stone by early July because I have to give a big speech in front of about 1000 people!

I've been doing well so far, but today for example I had a weak moment and ate a whole easter egg in one which was 680 calories! it's stupid things like that, that i really regret afterwards, which might hold me back! if anyone has some tips on how to stop binging i'd love to hear them!

It's great reading everyone's success stories, makes it all seem possible!

J

Replies

• vox23
    vox23 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Good luck. Next time, before you eat that treat, think about what you are doing and how you will feel after. Might work.
  • shmoejo
    shmoejo Posts: 37
    Options
    i have been eating a treats but i make sure to work out everyday to burn those calories!
  • smgouzie
    smgouzie Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    if you are contemplating a binge like that, stop and think "how much worse am I going to feel after I eat that". try to figure out why you are eating like that. is it boredom? stress, etc. you need to get a root cause. you are 18 years old -- lose it now. by the time you get to be 40, its MUCH harder. you have your whole life ahead of you, dont spend it hiding because of your weight. good luck.
  • Amy1066
    Amy1066 Posts: 30
    Options
    You can do it!! Try not to get to hard on yourself, we all fall off the wagon sometimes. Just keep thinking of your speech in June. Good luck!
  • maggie4097
    maggie4097 Posts: 156
    Options
    Nothing tastes as good as thin feels! Think about what you are about to eat, and if it's really worth the calories. I have a very hard time with sweets, so I understand the difficulty! I try to have a much lower calorie snack instead, and think about how much exercise it will take to burn off that moment of indulgence. Thinking before eating, and seeing the calories add up in black and white hopefully will make a difference. Good luck!
  • brideofjames
    Options
    Good Luck! Maybe we can help each other.
    Today I am also trying this for the second time this year. I started this in January and two weeks into it my dad passed away. Dealing with that made it hard for me to want to do much of anything. Today I found out my favorite uncle may not make it through the weekend. On top of losing my two favorite men I am planning my wedding, planning my daughters graduation, and moving to another state. All this by the end of June! Today my emotions got the best of me and I had to do something to release what had/was building up inside, so I got on the treadmill. Sixty minutes of fast walking and jogging, praying and crying. Let me tell ya.....I released a lot of anger and stress today and I feel so good!!! When I was done I thought, "I feel good and I'm gonna face my anger, stress and fears on this again tomorrow."
    Lisa
  • KimberSt
    KimberSt Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    ALSO, you can't eat what isn't in the house. Get rid of the treats. If you live at home and Mum buys the groceries, ask for her help. About the first week is going to be the hardest to stay away from the sweets. You will get the flu-like symptoms for about three to four days if you completely cut out the sugar. HOWEVER, if you can get through that part, you are well on your way. There are plenty of us here to cheer you on. You have to want this. Best of luck!!
  • gally619
    gally619 Posts: 5
    Options
    Try to have little rewards here and there so you do not feel like you are depriving yourself. If you feel deprived then your more likely to binge. Also try wieghing yourself each day or so you can be like ok I lost xx do I really want to put it back on?
  • Rice27
    Rice27 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Good Luck! This is my 2nd time as well - it is working this time! As long as you are focused it will happen!
  • JH0304
    JH0304 Posts: 3
    Options
    Thanks very much everyone for your replies! It's great to know that there are people out there in the same position who will listen!

I have taken on board all that you have said and you're all right - thinking about the consequences of eating a treat has made me triple think every time before I pick up something sugary/chocolatey.

Good luck to everyone with their goals!

J