Spray Tanning????

Options
tolygal
tolygal Posts: 602 Member
Does anyone do spray tanning? I've got an event coming up and would like some color on my very white legs, but don't really want to do a tanning bed or sun (want to save my skin). Plus - I'm very pale skinned and it would take me a long time to get anything more than red. Tanning lotions aren't perfect either (orange spots - and can't reach places). So - I'm wondering if spray tanning is a good option. Has anyone done this - did you like the results? Do you have to go multiple times? Did it look "real?" Were there orange spots or uneven coverage? How long did it last? Anything else I should know about?

Thanks!!

Replies

• sweetsunlover
    Options
    my friend does spray tanning she uses fake bake so no streaks or orange colour and goes with your skin tone and looks really gd think it lasts around 10-12 days
  • skinnyme125
    skinnyme125 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I have heard that if you go to a good place then you will get good results. The only thing is that they only last about 7 days at max.
  • savlyon
    savlyon Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I did it this weekend for the first time. It was a bit pricey...mine was $25 for one or $30 for two. I liked the results though. My ankles were the only place it was a bit blotchy because I didn't get the lotion spread easily. I think it's a great option.
  • Schuky01
    Schuky01 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I did it for my wedding 5 years ago and it worked really well. It lasted about 5-7 days, no orange color, streaks or anything like that.
  • ajk828
    ajk828 Posts: 335
    Options
    There are ups and downs for spray tanning. I got one for a wedding in Arizona last year and on the plus side, it made me look awesome. I got it pretty dark and it made me love the way my body looked. Now for the downside...it tended to rub off on things (hotel sheets, clothing etc) everytime I would sweat a little bit. I'm not sure if that's normal or if I did something wrong. Also, as the 2 week promised tan started to fade after a week it started looking REALLY weird, especially at my ankles.

Tip: Make sure to take a shower and exfoliate your body to make sure you get even coverage...can't remember if it's the day before or the day after...INCLUDING YOUR FEET AND HANDS.

Just one personal experience!
  • hawkeyegirl
    Options
    I would suggest getting it done where you have somone airbrush it on you by hand, not something like the Mystic Tan machines where you stand and get sprayed from different angles. I LOVE the airbrush spray tan and it looks very natural and not streaky if you get someone who knows what they're doing. And it only takes one application to have the color you want.
  • jpeebs88
    jpeebs88 Posts: 81
    Options
    I recently tried Jergens Natural Glow Foaming Daily Moisturizer and didn't find it too bad (use regular lotion on your knees and ankles first)
    Also, the easiest, and cheapest, option is probably a pair of suntan pantyhose. Did that for Easter!
  • JMJohnson1005
    JMJohnson1005 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I have been spray tanned only once. I went to a tanning salon that had the Mystic tan. It looked really good and natural. They had 3 or 4 different levels of color to choose from. I really liked it and it lasted about a week. I am planning to get another one done for a wedding I am suppose to attend. Just make sure you shave and exfoliate really well!
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    Spray tanning is the only "safe" tan. I'm not up on makes but I think the bigger (read better) salons carry different shades. A redhead would not tan the same as someone with olive skin...ring around and find a salon that offers more than one colour.
  • doobabe
    doobabe Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I have a spray tan in my profile picture. No streaks or spots, but it is usually pretty "dark" the first day and looks a whole lot better after a shower....
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I've never used the spray tans where yo ugo to a salon and they apply it. But I'm a big fan of self-tanners applied at home!

I'd think you'd want to do all the same prep for a professional tan as you would at home, so here are my tips:

-Exfoliate first!

-Apply the self-tanner as soon after showering as possible, and rub a little bit of lotion into very dry places ( elbows, knees, heels, nails and cuticles, under nails) so that the self-tanner or spray tan absorbs evenly instead of becoming concentrated in dry spots and being too light in oily spots.

Good luck!
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I've done it before and it turned out well until I got in the swimming pool, then it streaked.

Some of them look really good if you don't go overboard.
  • MrsMills712
    MrsMills712 Posts: 350
    Options
    I love going. I did alot during my senior year of high school gearing up towards prom and it improved my self esteem about 100%. I'd still do it if it didn't cost so much to maintain. Just make sure if you go, you have somebody explain every step to you and show you the poses to use when standing in the machine so you understand the process ;-) Good luck!
  • RDH0513
    RDH0513 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I would try a versaspa spray tan. Most spray tans only contain dha, which can be orangey on some skin tones. Versaspa has more of a red base to it, meaning it seriously NEVER looks orange. I worked at a tanning salon and this one is way better. If you have a palm beach tan around you, they will show you everything from what to do before and what to do after. I love this one!!
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options
    im sorry, i dont have any input, except that it reminds me of the episode of friends where Ross gets sprayed like 12 times only on his front. its so hilarious :)
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    im sorry, i dont have any input, except that it reminds me of the episode of friends where Ross gets sprayed like 12 times only on his front. its so hilarious :)

I was thinking about that too. :laugh:

I had a spray tan done 9 years ago before my wedding. It was done at a spa by a tech with an airbrush and looked really good. It helped smooth out some tan lines I had from working outside that summer (my dress was off the shoulder and I had pretty obvious tank top strap lines) and looked really natural. I don't remember it going streaky or spotty, even after showering and swimming on the honeymoon.
  • tolygal
    tolygal Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Wow - some of that sounds a little worrisome!!! Maybe I'll try it as a last resort and try to find a dress that doesn't make me look too pasty LOL!!! If I buy a light colored dress, I'd be worried that it would get stained - how embarassing!!

Seriously - thanks for all the info - it really helps - I've never done this before, but haven't tanned since my wedding (10 years ago) and now that I'm older, I worry about what my skin is going to look like in 20 more years! I have friends who tanned a lot, and lets just say I'm glad I didn't do very much of it myself! But maybe just a little won't be so terrible??? Oh the decisions LOL! Thanks again!
  • amandalc980
    amandalc980 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    From one white girl to another, some mystics tans dont show up right away. I usually have to go two or three times for results. Probably because I always ask for the lower color. If you do it scrub the day before you go and shave! You don't want to shave after you get it, kind of ruins it. Also when you get it follow the directions and wipe everything off your body. Streaks in mystic tans come from not wiping off all the spray from your body afterwards. I would also recommend wearing a skirt. I find that if I put jeans on and let them rub on my legs after the effects aren't as strong. Oh! And don't have lotion on your legs! Lotion is a blocker for the stuff! DO lotion your nails up! they will provide the lotion for you.
  • welly5
    welly5 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    marking for later