Does chewing gum do anything other than....

think48
think48 Posts: 366 Member
edited September 26 in Health and Weight Loss
keep your mouth busy?? Just curious. I have never chewed gum, it kind of digusts me. But I got some a couple of weeks ago and have noticed that when I am chewing it, I get way less hungry between meals. Good or bad?

Replies

• murf19
    murf19 Posts: 453 Member
    makes me thirsty, so I don't chew. I'll do a breath mint though! lol
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    It makes me MUCH hungrier!

But a lot of the sugar-free gums are actually helpful in preventing tooth decay, so there's that.
  • FJMilner
    FJMilner Posts: 407
    sometimes it makes me hungry....like my mouth is chewing so my stomach is expecting food!!! But other times it helps take a craving away....maybe mints or brushing teeth would have the same effect?
  • cowlover22
    cowlover22 Posts: 309 Member
    Makes me less hungry and it must do something because whenever I am in the hospital to gain weight they wont let us have it! lol The sugar free kind that is!
  • I'm totally addicted, it makes me less hungry & as you said it keeps my mouth busy (:
  • liagarden
    liagarden Posts: 54
    It makes me MUCH hungrier!

But a lot of the sugar-free gums are actually helpful in preventing tooth decay, so there's that.
    Yes. The ones with Xylitol. I chew gum a lot; otherwise I bite my cheeks. Bad habit from my 20's, when I quit smoking. Looks terrible, creates lines around your lips. Chew gum instead! I don't notice any difference in hunger levels between chewing and not chewing. Just count the calories, carbs, sugars, etc. in your plan. Every gum is different.
  • amber420
    amber420 Posts: 1
    research has shown that chewing sugar free gum in between meals ,does help curb the appetite which is awesome as long as yournot using it as an excuse not to eat...it definately helps me and also supresses my sweet cravings!!! good luck!
  • MzNeecie
    MzNeecie Posts: 107 Member
    i am a habitual gum chewer and i find that when i am trying to control my portions it is best to eat a small snack and then chew a piece of gum. the small snack gets food in the belly and the constant chewing of the gum tricks me mentally into thinking i am getting more than i really am. its all mental. but like the others said if for no other reason it can help fight tooth decay and bad breath!
  • perrytyra
    perrytyra Posts: 357 Member
    I think whatever is in sugar-free gum is probably bad for me. But I chew it anyway. It is the only thing I eat with fake sugar. It keeps me from snacking too much. I chew Mint Chocolate Chip flavor and it is so good.

Also, chewing gum increases saliva which helps your teeth.
  • thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Anything minty makes me lose cravings because the thought of any taste juxtaposed with mint is just icky..
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    It helps me with food cravings sometimes.
  • R_is_for_Rachel
    R_is_for_Rachel Posts: 381 Member
    helps increase saliva flow which helps neutralise acids in your mouth -so is great!

HOWEVER!! WARNING!!

do NOT chew all day long, we are not cows and chewing allday will damage your tempromandibular joint. So only chew for a couple of minutes at a time.

:D that was your public information service!
  • 1) helps me workout! It keeps saliva going to keep the back of my mouth from getting raw!
    2) When I have just eatten and i KNOW ive had enough, but i want more food. It has helped me get through to my next meal.
  • Chuckw40
    Chuckw40 Posts: 201
    I used to chew alot of gum until my Dentist told me it was not good because it can cause problems with your jaw.
This discussion has been closed.