adjustable weights/ dubbell???

Options
i want to get some that can go up to 50lbs but id rather net spend tons of $$$$$$. any good ones out there?
I love and hope for the bowflex ones BUT that's just not realistic on my budget!

Replies

• DiscipleN2k
    DiscipleN2k Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    http://www.academy.com/index.php?page=content&target=products/fitness/weight_training/weight_sets&start=8&selectedSKU=0422-41168-0055

I picked up a pair of these from Academy about a year ago and they're pretty decent for the money. They feel cheap and they seem kind of awkward when set to less than 25 pounds or so (it's just weird being that light, but still just as bulky as it is at the higher weights), but I've used them a LOT over the last year and have had no issues with them other than aesthetics (well...there was the one time I didn't make sure the selector had clicked into place and nearly dropped a plate on my bare toe, but that one was my fault ;p ). They're still pretty pricy, but they're a good deal at half the cost of the Bowflex ones.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,104 Member
    Options
    Go to Craigslist or Freecycle or your local free classifieds. You can almost always find fitness equipment at great prices.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,238 Member
    Options
    I have power blocks http://www.powerblock.com/ which I have been very happy with. They take very little space, but go up to a nice high weight. They are not cheap though, but searching the Internet for used ones might solve the price issue.
  • peteyTwang
    peteyTwang Posts: 250
    Options
    50lbs is a lot! I actually started with a fixed pair at just 3lbs... but then i used Craigslist and found a trad set of adjustable dumbbells that go up up to 40 lbs - 2 spin locks and 2 bars (14" & 5 lbs each)
    and 4 each of 2.5, 5, and 10 lbs plates all for $40 .... a NEW second set of bars and spinlocks (with no weight!) set me back $20 but I got tired of waiting for another set to appear on craigslist... looking forward to Yard Sale season to pick up here --these are keeping me challenged but another set of bars would be useful ... and maybe even a few more heavy plates if & when the price is right
  • peteyTwang
    peteyTwang Posts: 250
    Options
    double posted :grumble:
  • mazomama
    mazomama Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    50lbs is a lot! I actually started with a fixed pair at just 3lbs... but then i used Craigslist and found a trad set of adjustable dumbbells that go up up to 40 lbs - 2 spin locks and 2 bars (14" & 5 lbs each)
    and 4 each of 2.5, 5, and 10 lbs plates all for $40 .... a NEW second set of bars and spinlocks (with no weight!) set me back $20 but I got tired of waiting for another set to appear on craigslist... looking forward to Yard Sale season to pick up here --these are keeping me challenged but another set of bars would be useful ... and maybe even a few more heavy plates if & when the price is right

Oh yea, 50 is a lot. But id use them & my husband.
  • rks6902
    rks6902 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Play It Again Sports in Madison? They have used weights there for much cheaper than new.
  • Mike523
    Mike523 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to chime in and say I recently got the Bowflex ones (SelectTech 552), and they are very nice. I know they are not cheap, but if you can save up for a little while they really are worth it. $360 currently at Amazon.
  • Mike523
    Mike523 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to chime in and say I recently got the Bowflex ones (SelectTech 552), and they are very nice. I know they are not cheap, but if you can save up for a little while they really are worth it. $360 currently at Amazon.

...with free shipping, which is HUGE when it comes to weights. The box was like 115 pounds.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    marking to come back and read later...I'm with you I want 50 lbs, I already use 30 lb dumbells and know I'll be getting up to 50 eventuallly. I really want the Bowflex ones but don't want to pay that much...