My introduction

Options
My story started out by accident back in Dec 2010. I was 5'10" and 225lb. Normally I eat fast food every day for lunch (sometimes 3 times a day!) just to get out of the office. During my Xmas vacation I skipped the fast food and didn't have any sodas. When I went back to work after New Years I thought to myself, "Hey you didn't miss the fast food...why not start eating something different?"...mainly as a way to save money. So I started eating at Subway a lot. At the same time I quit drinking sodas (I'd go thru nearly a 2L a day). At work I started drinking nothing but water and quit hitting the vending machines. At the same time, I started cutting back on my portions at other meals. I used to go back for 2nds and 3rds sometimes.

This went on for a couple of months. It was around beginning of March that I noticed I had dropped to around 200 lbs. That's when I thought to myself about getting in better shape. Mid March I went out and bought a cheap bike at Walmart and started riding around 30 mins a day. I quickly dropped 5 lbs in one week:) I decided then to start getting serious about getting back in shape. I bought a bunch of chicken breasts and vegetables and started taking my lunch to work along with cooking healthier for dinner. I continued with the bike riding...pushing myself up to an hour sometimes.

The last week of March I discovered MFP. I downloaded it to my phone and have been logging everything religiously. I was at 196lbs then. 30 days later, with continued eating better and bike riding I am now down to 182 pounds. That's nearly 45 lbs total:) It wasn't until a couple of weeks ago I starting noticing a difference. I started having trouble keeping my pants up. So I went and bought a belt one size smaller....it was too big:) Spent the money and bought some new clothes. I had been wearing 38's and was pushing the next size up. Some of my old 34" jeans now fit! though some brands 36's are more comfortable. My shirts went from XXL to L and are now much more comfortable. The best part though has been all the comments from people. With the new clothes it was more noticeable and just about everyone at work has been asking how much have I lost. Definitely motivation to continue.

My goal is to get to 170-175 and see what happens from there. I plan on starting to go the gym at that point and work on some definition. Through out all this I haven't deprived myself. If I'm out somewhere with friends Ill still drink a few beers and eat hot wings....though its now a 6 piece with celery instead of a 10 piece with fries:)

Replies

• ladychaos23
    Options
    What made you make the change? Because the hardest part is always sticking to it and making the change. at least for me....
  • kevin2406
    kevin2406 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    A culmination of things I suppose. I was aware I had been gaining weight but the worst part was my wife last summer texting people about how she cant stand to look at me. Ironically she was as overweight as I was but that didn't matter to me and I thought it didn't matter to her. Mentally I was fine with myself. I thought I carried it well. Physically I never had much energy and would get winded quickly. I didn't start out to lose weight. This all spiraled out of a desire to get where I'm not out of breath going up stairs...to be in better shape. Well now I can do that with ease and the weight is gone (along with the wife:)). Now that Ive seen results, I feel better physically (still have away to go though) and have more energy. I also didn't realize I was self-conscious about my weight. Apparently I was because now I feel more confident about myself than I was in the past. Reading other peoples stories here the past few days has been inspirational as well and is what made me decide to post mine. I tell people I didn't diet...I made a lifestyle change. I truly believe that and that is what is going to make this a permanent part of my life.
  • MeredithInCT
    Options
    Great work so far, keep it up. I just finished my first week here. Feel free to add me.

Meredith