sugar sugar and more sugar...

Options
cem2168
cem2168 Posts: 205 Member
So... I really try to limit my sugar. I do not eat "sweets" or chocolate or anything of the sort. I do not feel deprived and I really do not want it... but fruit i love. I could eat fruit all day. I try to pick fruit choices that are lower in sugar, but I am really having a hard time not going over on my sugar intake. Does anyone else have any tips or anything to help with that? Is the sugar from fruit not bad for you or is that a myth?

Replies

• carolstrange0
    Options
    i think you should just try to add a lot more veggies!
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I avodi fruit until I reach maintenance.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    It's not a free-reign to be able to say go ahead and eat nothing but fruit but getting sugar from that... it's sugar, but it comes with stuff you don't get when you get your sugar from a chocolate bar or processed food. Micronutrients, fiber, vitamins etc. I'm sticking with my fruit on a daily basis.
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    here's some interesting reading about sugar from fruits *S*

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/issa14.htm

edited to add:
    i eat fruit every day... a variety... but i try to not have more than 2-3 servings of fruit a day.. and i am losing just fine *S*
  • StefBeeney
    Options
    Remember that when you are consuming fresh fruit, this sugar is different than the processed sugars that are in candies and such...
  • Jessaamine
    Jessaamine Posts: 111
    Options
    Some people on here don't count their fruit at all, but if you want, you can log the calories for an apple without logging the sugars. That way you're being genuine without being punished. As for me, I just log everything and don't worry about it. I'll know whether those sugars came from grapes or a box of Peeps...lol
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    the sugars in fruit are much better for you than refined sugars because of the nutrition and fiber that comes with it. But eating too much fruit can mess up weight loss and can even make you gain weight.

I was given advice for weight/strength training.

strength training: 3x per week
    cardio: as needed (supplemental - not important to weight lifting/strength training and body fat loss - at least at healthy weights).

1g of protein per pound of lean body mass or total goal body weight.
    1-3 svgs of fruit
    3-6 svgs of veggies
    anything else my little heart desires within my calorie goal (today it's 1200 because the last few days I have been eating a bit too much junk)

You should count anything that has calories in it. I don't understand how people can say that a certain food doesn't have to count. It all counts - they all contain calories.
  • jjhanlon
    jjhanlon Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it - you need the nutrients, you shouldn't cut out fruit! Fructose (sugar from fruit) can tend to have a more minimal impact than refined sugars (chocolate, table sugar, etc.). I don't pay any attention to the sugar from fruit!
  • ejmcam
    ejmcam Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    MFP does not differentiate between the different types of sugars. Fructose is a natural sugar found in fruit and is healthy. I'm sure that to much of it can cause weight loss problems, but if you are not having any trouble losing weight, then I wouldnt worry. The refined sugar you should be careful about is table sugar, sucrose. If you notice that you are having trouble losing weight, despite diet, exercise and a lack of refined sugar, then maybe you might want to reasses the amount of fruit you are eating