Working Out While Sick

Options
So I have come down with a cold (yeepppiiieee) and am going to try to get to the gym tomorrow. Do you guys think that sweating out a cold helps get over it faster? Or do you think I should wait until I am 100% to get back to the gym?

Replies

• CarissaNew
    CarissaNew Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I have a cold and sore throat and got on my elliptical last night and it felt great! Not sure about it helping get rid of the cold faster, but I felt really great after! Hope that helps :smile:
  • damonmath
    damonmath Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Time will cure the sickness. Sweating is great though for pushing toxins out of your glands. I like to do some form of exercise when sick.
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    Just make sure you disinfect everything you touch at the gym, so you can avoid spreading the cold to others. :bigsmile: I imagine it would help you feel better. Don't quote me though.:flowerforyou:
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    If I'm sick i like doing lower intensity cardio.

I don't usually lift too heavy tho.
  • kimjoan
    kimjoan Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body, it takes extra effort on your body's part to heal what ails you. I do tend to work out if I have a mild cold but I am also conscious about spreading it around so I tend to just go for walks and stay away from the gym until I am not contagious anymore.
  • Lwoodslim
    Lwoodslim Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Exercise helps build a strong immune system. And the sweating will cause a rise in body temperature which could help kill bugs in your body. I too am struggling with a cold of sorts but exercising always makes me feel better. Know your body though, and if all you really need is sleep, go to bed. Feel better soon!
  • porcelain_doll
    porcelain_doll Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I have heard that you don't recover the same way after exercise when you're sick vs. when you're not. Since your body is already fighting off infection, you're sort of "kicking it while it's down," so to speak. I don't know how true the whole "sweat it out" theory is. Probably depends on how severe it is and what kind of exercise you want to do. I've never found exercise to be beneficial during any sickness.
  • JPayne53
    JPayne53 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend it... you may feel good after the workout, but just think it will take your body longer to recover from both the workout and the sickness because now your body has to work overtime!! More than likely your workout results will be compromised because your bodies first priority would be to get better and fight infection, so if your body is working hard to get rid of an infection the workout is causing your body to work toward fat loss and restoring nutrients... something's gotta give.. it's a body not a machine. Would you run your car on a flat tire?
  • wannabefree
    wannabefree Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    This is so funny because I was just going to ask the same question. I have a nasty cold was wondering if I should be resting. I feel really tired!
  • amandaroland80
    amandaroland80 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    As a trainer here's the rule I use for my clients and myself, if it's above your shoulders and you have no fever then it's okay to work out. If it's below your shoulders and/or you have a fever then do not work out until you are completely recovered. Hope you feel better soon! :)
  • realia
    realia Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    This is so funny because I was just going to ask the same question. I have a nasty cold was wondering if I should be resting. I feel really tired!
  • tracyklamo
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Hopefully tomorrow I'll be feeling a little better...I really need to get back to the gym!