running away from those saggy pecs

Options
I'm one of those unfortunate males who, when out of shape, tends to hold a lot of my extra pounds in my chest. About 10 months ago, my family was on vacation in Pigeon Forge, TN which has the famous Splash Country as part of Dollywood. I was going around shirtless like almost all the other males there when my young son looking directly at me says to his mother, " mommy, men can have boobies too?" Talk about embarrassing.

Well, that was the beginning. I went to the doctor and learned that I was borderline on all the things that you don't want to be. I could hardly run a step so I walked. I picked up a weighted vest (it has been invaluable) from Walmart and walked some more. I ate much better. Then, I started running which was torturous with me still carrying the extra pounds. Day-after-day, it got a little easier and I could go a little further. I mixed it up with cycling, uphill treadmill walks, and jillian's, "30 day shred." My highest weight has been 220 lbs. I was approximately 205 when my son made his oh-so-motivational comment. Now, I have met my goal weight of 175. Now, I just have to figure out how to maintain instead of climbing up or down.

Anyway, my running has led me to enter the Country Music marathon (I'll be running the half) this upcoming Saturday. I am nervous as crap. I have never ran 13.1 miles before, but I have come close. I'm proud of myself and I plan on demonstrating that by showing the determination to run every step. It's been a tough journey to get here and it certainly won't end at the finish line Saturday. Like the rest of you, I just want to keep on pushing to a level where I get and STAY fit.

Replies

• laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    OUCH to the boobies comment and SUPER FREAKING JOB to you for what you've accomplished. Very inspirational story.

Good Luck in the 1/2. You've said you come close and I've always been told that if you run 5 miles you can actually run 10 if pushed. 10.5 is my longest run and I only stopped cuz it was getting dark and where I was running. I totally believe I can do a 1/2.
    I plan on the Disney 1/2 in January.

I know you'll do great. Keep up the good work.
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    awesome accomplishment brother, very happy for you, and do not be nervous running that distance will be nothing compared to how far you have come.
  • Wileyjoe
    Wileyjoe Posts: 282
    Options
    Great story, very inspirational! I am sure you will do well this weekend. Good Luck!
  • Fernandomike
    Fernandomike Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement, guys. And in answer to one of the questions, the most I have run is 12. I will have the benefit of hydrating along the way as well as carb-loading the night before and jelly beans or something akin toward the end. I have had none of that in my training runs.
  • CricketKate
    CricketKate Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    You SHOULD be proud of yourself! That is awesome!
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Great story and a Great Feeling I am sure.

I am actually running a half on Sunday. Just a little word of advice from someone who runs any event put in my path... bring some added nutrition in the form of Gu Chomps, or Energy Beans. 13 miles is a long run, and the added Energy will keep you going longer and give you a better end result. I usually chew a couple of chomps every 20-30 minutes to sustain my energy levels. It helps me feel a little less like a train wreck afterwards and lets me enjoy to festivities on completion.

Good Luck on your Half! Enjoy the Experience!

Congrats on your truly amazing progress!
  • Homer3D
    Homer3D Posts: 318
    Options
    My chest is also a problem area. Although I am not "big" I find that my body stores fat in my man boobs. Annoying as hell.

Don't worry stress too much about the half marathon. I was worried too when I did my first one in 2009. I didn't know if my body could take it. But you will power through it just like I did. Focus your mind and you will complete. And when you are done, you will find yourself asking...was this it?

Good Luck.
  • Fernandomike
    Fernandomike Posts: 95 Member
    Options

I am actually running a half on Sunday. Just a little word of advice from someone who runs any event put in my path... bring some added nutrition in the form of Gu Chomps, or Energy Beans. 13 miles is a long run, and the added Energy will keep you going longer and give you a better end result. I usually chew a couple of chomps every 20-30 minutes to sustain my energy levels. It helps me feel a little less like a train wreck afterwards and lets me enjoy to festivities on completion.

Thank you for the advice. I'll take all of that I can get. Energy Beans and GU Chomps, where can I find them?
  • daddyratty
    daddyratty Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Dude, that's awesome! I was 303 but I tend to gather more in my gut. But I shudder to think what your son would have said about my C-cups back then. Well, probably nothing because I never took off my shirt outside of my bedroom or bathroom.
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    good luck with your goals. Congrats on what you've achieved so far!

i store a lot of my fat in the chest area as well. thinking part of it may be estrogen from drinking a lot in college as well. It's frustrating but you'll get there!
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Nice work on the running, bro. I can go for just a little over an hour and that is plenty for me.

I have the same problem and I cant wait until they are gone because I have never in my life taken my shirt off in public. I'm just gonna be patient and keep working hard. Pushups and strenous chest excercises have helped considerably.

Its nice that my pecs stick out further than my gut. :bigsmile:
  • jeffrodgers1
    Options

Thank you for the advice. I'll take all of that I can get. Energy Beans and GU Chomps, where can I find them?

Try a running store or sporting goods store near you. ****s, Fleet Feet, Running Room, Stride Ahead etc should all have them.
  • jeffrodgers1
    Options

Try a running store or sporting goods store near you. ****s, Fleet Feet, Running Room, Stride Ahead etc should all have them.

Thats supposed to be the shortform of Richard... not ****s but D1CK'S, Sports Authority also has them.
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    Great story!! Thanks for sharing. Best wishes on your 1/2, you can do it.
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Thats supposed to be the shortform of Richard... not ****s but D1CK'S, Sports Authority also has them.

LOL @ the auto-censor!

Hello, my name is ****.
  • chnkydnknmomma
    Options
    Congratulations, what an accomplishment! You are truly an inspiration. I hope to run some day, right now I' m not quite ready for that...
    Good luck with the 1/2, I'm sure you will do better than you think!
  • peteyTwang
    peteyTwang Posts: 250
    Options
    Congratulations! Have a great run in the Country Music Marathon!
  • nikkimwarren
    nikkimwarren Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Good Luck on the run and like others said take little energy with you. Those boobs get in the way whether male or female...way to go on loosing them and the weight. You are an inspiration. I don't see many men posting in this area and it is great to see that they struggle the same as us females. I thought you all just never had Issues like us.

Nikki
  • nikkimwarren
    nikkimwarren Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Good Luck on the run and like others said take little energy with you. Those boobs get in the way whether male or female...way to go on loosing them and the weight. You are an inspiration. I don't see many men posting in this area and it is great to see that they struggle the same as us females. I thought you all just never had Issues like us.

Nikki

Whoops looks like I posted twice:flowerforyou:
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Good luck on your race this weekend. I'm guaranteeing you'll PR!

I'm going to go against the grain and tell you "nothing new on race day." If you didn't train with Gu, Chomps or whatever, don't start using them on race day - just stick with the water & Gatorade on the course. Don't buy a new socks at the expo because a sales guys says they are good.

Use you training runs to figure everything out so there are no surprises on race day.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!