Non-monetary based rewards for meeting goals?

Options
CoryIda
CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
I'm the main breadwinner in my family and our finances are always really tight, so I can't really do the "new outfit" or "spa day" type rewards that a lot of people set for when they reach certain weightloss goals.

So far, I've pretty much made getting healthy its own reward, which is how it should be, but . . .

I have lost almost 80 pounds now with no tangible "rewards" and my final weight goal is only 22 pounds away now. I would really like to plan some sort of special reward for reaching a 100-pound loss, but I don't know what I can do that doesn't involve lots of money.

Obviously, I've had to get some clothes as I've lost weight, but I've gotten the cheapest clothes I can find because it's just not in our budget to get more, and I hate shopping anyway so I wouldn't consider that much of a reward even if I did have the money to spend.

Does anyone have any non-monetary-based reward ideas? I am not very good at brainstorming, so I would LOVE to hear what you think.

Thank you!

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,118 Member
    Options
    Why don't you start putting away one dollar for every pound you lose and then you'll have a little nest egg for that manicure or new haircut.
  • MindyLynn77
    MindyLynn77 Posts: 126
    Options
    Im going to think on this, and get back to you! lol.. it will require a little brain storming :)
  • MindyLynn77
    MindyLynn77 Posts: 126
    Options
    and also i want to say, youve lost 78 pounds.. that is so amazing and inspirational to me... THANK YOU!!!!
  • BigGail
    BigGail Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I think the one dollar idea is great too - can you book a whole day off when you get to goal to just spend with the hubs celebrating?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,118 Member
    Options
    I know I didn't even answer your question.....how about you get a day away (or a few hours) from "responsibilities"? Go to the arboretum, or museum or the library or the beach - by yourself. Sit on a dock by a lake and read that magazine you've been meaning to read....
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I think the one dollar idea is great too - can you book a whole day off when you get to goal to just spend with the hubs celebrating?
    If I had done the one dollar thing from the beginning, it WOULD have been a great idea, but I don't have $78 to set aside for the weight I've already lost, and I don't think $22 will get me much...

And, unfortunately, no. I can't take a day off. :sad:
  • mrssavvysteve
    mrssavvysteve Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Cory--

You're such an inspiration to so many!
    You could have your son and hubs make you a coupon book.. With things like Them doing the dishes instead of you. Your son folding the laundry rather than you. A family outing to the park. You get control of the remote... Just ideas, and all free!

I used to sell Mary Kay, and have a lot of back stock... I'd be more than happy to send you a little happy! :) just message me your address! :)
  • mericksmom
    mericksmom Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Maybe have a mock date night dinner.....light a few candles find a cute movie on the tv or online eat a good dinner. (just make it look fancy) and just enjoy the night

family picnic go to the park with fun games like frisbee or kite flying.....etc

Just dress special one day You DID GREAT WORK and you need to SHOW it off even if it is for one day.
  • BigGail
    BigGail Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    could you sell your "fat clothes" on ebay and use the cash for something special?
  • tladame
    tladame Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I'm also the main breadwinner in our household, although my husband works too, so we're doing ok for the most part. When I reached my goal weight, I decided to treat myself to something nice. I'm not a big shopper in general, but there was a new perfume I wanted. So I splurged and got it for myself. Sometimes you've got to treat yourself. Hope you find something special!
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    I think this is a FANTASTIC post! Thank you for posting!

I like the coupon book idea
    and the selling/giving away of the old clothes..

I had two ideas:

a) Do something that you NEVER would have done 100 lbs ago..like go Running; Walk in a park; a marathon for a fantastic cause...ANYTHING...help at a food drive..anything
    b) You are a very inspirational woman..Maybe you can share your experiences at a local gym or at a woman's book club meeting in your area..
  • Lexie71
    Lexie71 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    This is hard for me as well.
    A friend of mine, who does have money, donated his lost weight in dog food to PAWS. He had lost over 400 pounds and as he reached each goal he donated more dog food in celebration. He said lifting the bags and pushing the cart of the weight he used to carry every day was eye-opening.
    Well...I assume you can't afford 100 pounds of dog food.....
    So how about donating 100 items of clothing? Or 100 items of anything to a shelter?
    Sometimes as much as it sucks, we have to ask for what we want. How about asking your husband and son to plan a celebration. if there is a budget at all for it, give them the budget. If there isn't a budget, tell them that and ask them to be creative in their planning. Perhaps they can get friends/family involved in the celebration.
    Take a photo of yourself the day you reach your goal. Not necessarily as a reward but to document ;)
    Take a bubble bath with candles and your favorite book, do you nails, or better yet, have your husband do it. Have an "It's all about me day" at home.
    It is really hard to come up with original and creative ideas but whatever you do, celebrate you EVERY day. I will keep thinking and if I come up with something *brilliant* I'll let you know. ;)
  • MadeToCraveHIM
    MadeToCraveHIM Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Throw a "bring a dish" cookout/bonfire in celebration of reaching your 100 pound goal. There you can burn a few of your "old you" items and celebrate the "new you" with the people you love around you!
  • crissi66
    crissi66 Posts: 98
    Options
    How about a "you day". With arizona's beautiful climate how about a day all for you. have your husband and son make a picnic of some of your favorite(dairy free) foods and just relax and play in a park .
  • katepolden
    Options
    Throw a "bring a dish" cookout/bonfire in celebration of reaching your 100 pound goal. There you can burn a few of your "old you" items and celebrate the "new you" with the people you love around you!

A great idea!
  • Chicka_Boom
    Options
    I'm in a similar boat - fiancé is a lawyer but not making much yet, so I'm the primary earner for now and we just bought our first home (we close next week!). As you can imagine, money is really tight, AND I am trying to plan our wedding AND my car is on its last legs. Add to that the fact that I have expensive tastes to start with, and I just can't afford to buy anything I don't absolutely need.

To be honest, I haven't been scheduling any little rewards or anything as I've lost, nor do I have plans for one when I reach my goal weight. I've never been into the "mini goals" with dates - although I guess that my "mini goals" are every 10 pounds or so, when I get to see the second number on the scale change. Even though money is tight, I do treat myself a bit, not as a reward for losing weight but because I deserve it, dammit! I have foregone facials, massages (except when there's an awesome Groupon deal), and manicures, but I still get my hair cut & highlighted by my expensive but so worth it stylist, and I get a pedicure when things get scary. I also bought two cute little dresses at Bloomies (on sale!) for spring weddings/parties.

If I was going to plan a reward for myself, it would absolutely be clothes or shoes. All of my nice clothes are way too big for me now - I can't afford to replace them and I don't want to buy cheap stuff that's just going to fall apart in a month. I also don't want to buy anything nice because I know it'll be too big for me in a couple of months!

I guess that I just haven't felt like I needed an incentive. Cheesy, I know, but getting back in shape has honestly been its own reward. When I wriggle into jeans I haven't worn since college, or measure and find that I've lost an inch, or get on the scale and see a lower number - that makes me feel better than any pair of pumps ever could.

Truth be told, I don't think that you need a reward to act as a motivator like some people do - you've already come so incredibly, impressively far. Clearly you are an unstoppable force! What you need as a reward is a celebration when you reach that 100 lb milestone, not because that's going to make you get there (you will regardless, I know it!) but because you deserve to be celebrated and lauded for your amazing achievement. To that end, I think that your "reward" for reaching your goal should be a party with your closest friends. It's easy to be cost-conscious there - a friend may want to treat you in honor of your achievement, or you could do something easy and affordable like a pizza party or a potluck. If a party isn't your speed, check out sites like Groupon (if you aren't a member, let me link you, I get credit for it!) and keep an eye out for affordable spa deals like the $30/hour massage I got recently. Regardless of what you do to celebrate your achievement, it is truly impressive & good health is definitely the best reward.

Let me know what you decide to do - maybe I'll copy you when I reach my goal!
  • gatorflyer
    gatorflyer Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    The biggest reward is recognizing how far you've come and what an incredible inspiration you have been to many of us. I think that you should get a day to do whatever you would like to do. What do you enjoy doing and just go do it, no worrying about household responsibilities, no need to be home at a certain time, just spend some you time doing whatever you would like. Maybe it is something as simple as not having to cook and or clean for the day. Maybe it's a day trip to a park or someplace else that you enjoy doing. Whatever it is, make it something that is special to you and maybe that you don't get to do very often because of life's responsibilities. You look great!
  • PrairieRoseNE
    PrairieRoseNE Posts: 265 Member
    Options

I LOVE this idea!!

A few years ago I lost a significant amount of weight (50lbs) and my success was mostly due to the constant encouragement from a friend, that is a bird lover/watcher. So to celebrate the 50lb loss and thank her for her support - I gave her a 50lb sack of black oil sunflower seed for her birds!! It was a geat feeling to drop that 50lb sack at her feet and say Thanks!! And I felt really good, walking away from that 50lbs. The sad part is, I'm losing that 50lbs for the second time - sigh....... Oh well, 43lbs are gone - 7 more to go to reach a mini goal and then work on the next 50 of my 2nd mini goal.
  • EnlessDayDreamer
    Options
    I just started the weight loss journey but i hear its good to reward your self. but when i get to the point whe i feel i deserve one ofter i have actually lost some weight it should be interesting.
    So, as for ideaas... hmmm you are from tuscan, right? i remember once my friend went pout that way and went horse back riding at a place called houston's horseback riding or something lie that. it was absolutly free. you get o enjoy nature and if you have kids they will love it, i mean who doesnt like horses. carnival of illusions also pretty cool went and sawe that also free.idk i figure a good reward should be fun which you dont normally do. i am not exactly sure but tuscan had a lotto offer.... romantic picnic with you significant other where he provides themenu. well i hope you find something worthy of your AMAZING weight loss.
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options

I think this is a GREAT idea!