My doctor told me to do the Zone diet....

Options
and I have to admit, I love that I can eat carbs!

I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis (underactive thyroid) and have struggled for a lonnnngg time (8 years) with it. Because of the thyroid problems, my doctor is very strict with any diets I do (food interactions with my medication)

Anyway, he told me he recommends the Zone diet. I'm broke as a joke right now as soon as I get some money I think I may try it.

Has anyone tried it before? Comments? yay or nay?

Replies

• hikingmonk
    hikingmonk Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I've done it before and it worked pretty well. Most of it makes good sense to me. I still try to keep my percentages close to the 40-30-30 ratio. I know Dr. Sears recommends large amounts of fish oil, but really if you stick to the percentages and eat healthy it should work pretty well for you. Not sure how it affects Hashimoto's though.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    The diet centers on a "40:30:30" ratio of calories obtained daily from carbohydrates, proteins, and fats, respectively.

SO I'm using the zone diet's numbers without knowing it. I eat to those goals, which you can custom set in Myfitnesspal... what's to pay for?
  • ceebs9
    ceebs9 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't think you'd need $$ to do Zone. I know a lot of people at my Crossfit gym who do it. You don't have to buy all the supplements.
  • cherilyn221
    cherilyn221 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    The diet centers on a "40:30:30" ratio of calories obtained daily from carbohydrates, proteins, and fats, respectively.

SO I'm using the zone diet's numbers without knowing it. I eat to those goals, which you can custom set in Myfitnesspal... what's to pay for?

How do I custom set my goals for the carbs, proteins and fat in MFP? I've searched but couldn't figure it out.

Thank you
    Cherie
  • HeidiAileen
    HeidiAileen Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    My friends mom used to be big into the Zone several years back & all I can remember is that the bars taste like you are eatting sand. I dont think that you need money to start up on the diet, but if you are going to be on a diet plan like The Zone, why not just do the South Beach diet instead? You can find tons of South Beach bars etc. at the super market and there are tons of books, websites etc. on it. Just a thought. Good luck in whatever you choose to do!!
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    as others have said, a large part is about the ratio. Manually change your fitness goals to this. Il have a slightly different ratio but still emphasize the importance of lean protein and healthy fats.

also if you don't have the money and want to get started sooner, google is your friend ;)

here's a good link i found: http://www.the-zone-diet-recipes.com/
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    To change your ratios you click my home... goals... change goals.... custom.... change from MFP defaults to what you want (40/30/30) for zone.... click update or save, whatever the green button says.
  • lesliejsilva
    lesliejsilva Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I totally didn't know I could change my goals! Just updated it, thanks!!

And thanks for the link too :)
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options

How do I custom set my goals for the carbs, proteins and fat in MFP? I've searched but couldn't figure it out.

Thank you
    Cherie

MY HOME > GOALS > Click on CHANGE GOALS > Select Custom
  • cherilyn221
    cherilyn221 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the info on how to change the goals!!! I did it!!!
  • jansus
    jansus Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    feel free to add me as a friend as i am just starting hypothyroid treatment. Also interested to see how you get on.
  • hikingmonk
    hikingmonk Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Skips the bars and eat real food. Most of them taste terrible anyways. Just focus on balanced meals. An apple with peanut butter (carbs + fat/protein). Wine plus cheese. Meat and veg.

Exlpore this page, lots of good ideas/information.
    http://www.zonediet.com/home

Don't stress too much about getting exactly in the zone, just make sure you get a good balance of healthy fats, low-glycemic carbs, and lean protein. It doesn't have to be perfect .
  • lesliejsilva
    lesliejsilva Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I just spent like 40 minutes entering my food in tomorrow's diary...

I guess each meal has to have the 40-30-30 ratio not just the end-of-day?

Hikingmonk, I pulled out my omega 3-6-9 fish flax borage supplements that my kinesiologist told me to take a while ago...I'll begin those tomorrow!
  • eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Yay!

I have the book: The Formula Diet which is very similar to the zone diet. It is 40-30-30, but they also have a 30 day "shred" type thing where you eat all low gi foods and lose much more quickly.

Definietely try out the 40-30-30 regimine.

Here are my tips:
    1. Make sure to have protein at every meal and snack.
    2. Stick with low gi veggies like broccoli, spinach, green beans, etc. Ease your way back into carrots, potatoes, etc.
    3. Stick with low gi fruits like apples, pears, blueberries. Limit your intake of bananas and grapes which are higher in sugar.
    4. Find a really good whey protein powder. You can use this for smoothies and as a supplement in desserts.
    5. Egg whites/beaters are great for breakfast paired with a bowl of plain oatmeal.

If you need any recipe ideas, let me know as my book has tons :smile:
  • eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    WebMd also did a review of it and gave some sample ideas of what to eat, plus how well it works for dieters: http://www.webmd.com/diet/zone-what-it-is

Plus, if you are craving a candy bar on the diet, you could always buy the zone perfect or balance bars at the grocery store. They are quick, easy, around 200 calories, low gi and balanced to fit the zone diet. (They are processed though)

My favorites are the dark chocolate line, especially dark chocolate almond. They have one of the least amount of sugars out of them all, and around 190 calories with a lot of protein :smile:

Good luck!
  • jansus
    jansus Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    alleyhays

thanks for your tips. I was thinking a smoothie with coconut milk/rasberries/protein powder and some bran or oats might be good for breakfast . I have to think of something I can take to work and have in the morning as I am supposed to eat an hour after takeing thyroid tablet.
  • mymelody_78
    mymelody_78 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips above! I ordered the Chef's Diet for two weeks because of something similar to Groupon and I have already noticed that I have lost a lb in one day. I wonder if this is because of water weight and just speeding up my metabolism with more balanced diet but I think it is great and will check out the books and websites above.
  • luvmybentley
    luvmybentley Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    The diet in a nutshell promotes nutrient dense carbs, lean proteins and healthy fats, in a specific ratio, to stabilize blood sugar and hormones. You don't need to buy any special zone foods. Go to www.zonediet.com and join the site for free. You'll have access to the calculators and the basic diet and recipes. Choose the Zone Classic plan and you can eat almost anything you want, as long as you keep to the 40, 30, 30 ratio for every meal and snack. If you opt for the Zone 1-2-3 plan, you will be prompted to buy their foods, but this isn't necessary.

I also have 2 Zone Diet books which go into much more detail and have recipes too. Once you calculate how much protein you need per day to sustain your lean body mass (the website has a calculator to do this for you), the rest is pretty simple. The diet is set up so you track blocks (much like WW points) of protein, carbs and fats. I am allowed 12 blocks of each per day...but when I did the math it works out to only 950 calories. MFP would boo this diet, but according to the Zone dr, when you balance your protein, carbs and fat in the proper ratio, it stabilizes hormones and allows your body to release/burn fat easier without sacrificing muscle.

I did this diet 10 years ago to slim down for my wedding, and I lost 25 libs in 2 months (I had a 6-pack!). I felt great when I was on it. Unfortunately I got pregnant right away and figured I should be able to eat anything I wanted (and gained 60 lbs, 30 of which stuck through the next 2 pregnancies) Now I'm back on the right track, but I seem to have stalled with MFP, so I am digging out my Zone books again and am going to lose it once and for all!
  • Liz_Mfp
    Liz_Mfp Posts: 172 Member
    Options

MY HOME > GOALS > Click on CHANGE GOALS > Select Custom

I did this
    Thank you!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I just spent like 40 minutes entering my food in tomorrow's diary...

I guess each meal has to have the 40-30-30 ratio not just the end-of-day?

Hikingmonk, I pulled out my omega 3-6-9 fish flax borage supplements that my kinesiologist told me to take a while ago...I'll begin those tomorrow!

No . The 40-30-30 ratio is for the day.