Anyone getting Weight Loss Surgery?

Options
Hi, I am new to myfitnesspal (love it) and was wondering if there are people here besides myself that are getting (or have had) WLS (weight loss surgery). Please reah out to me, as I could really use some help and motivation in the exercise department. Thanks, and look forward to the journey!

Jeanine

Replies

• luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Please consider other healthier options. WLS is quite risky. I considered it myself but I knew it was wrong which lead me down another path which included a healthier option to weight loss.
  • Mary_Burris
    Mary_Burris Posts: 120
    Options
    I had Lapband surgery on 03/30/2009! it was the BEST DECISION IVE EVER MADE FOR MYSELF! it will like everyone else also be a lifestyle change that you have to be ready for and cannot just expect it to fix it for you. it is only a TOOL! I did research for 2 years prior to my surgery, I had to have a Psych eval, weightloss trial, and had to take nutrition classes before I could get it done so its not like i woke up one day and said IM GONNA GET WLS its a long process that I researched. :tongue:
  • Steph_Marie29
    Options
    Due to severe health issues, I am having gastric bypass done next month.
  • Steph_Marie29
    Options
    It maybe wrong for you, but that doesn't mean it's wrong for everyone. I know several people who have had WLS and they are doing just fine. It's a major surgery. every surgery has risks.
    Please consider other healthier options. WLS is quite risky. I considered it myself but I knew it was wrong which lead me down another path which included a healthier option to weight loss.
  • jamaka1
    jamaka1 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    hi jeanine WLS is not 4 every1, its psychological & like anything it takes work. As i always say to ppl i'm not in ur position and i dont know what you feel but go slow, safe. Always remember that the wgt took awhile bc to go on so its gonna take awhile to take off. you can do it:flowerforyou:
  • Waynes_World
    Options
    Hello I had the lap band surgery 6 months ago. It was of the best decisions I have ever made.. But you have to be ready to make lifestyle changes to be successful. Just like all diets, WLS will fail also if you do not make these life changes.

I wish you the best of luck in your journey !
  • katya143
    katya143 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    LAP BAND 9/1/09! the best desicion of my life! PLEASE DO NOT LISTEN TO NEGATIVE PPL!!!!!! U DO WHAT WORKS FOR U!!! <3 kat
  • waguchan
    waguchan Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I had lap band surgery on June 23, 2008. No regrets! Any WLS people are welcome to be my friend on MFP! :-) Good luck, no matter what you decide!
  • fcrisswell
    fcrisswell Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I had gastric bypass 12/2006. Was the BEST thing I ever did! I am now 200+ pounds lighter and a mother at the age of 39/40 (My first child was adopted because I NEVER thought I would have children....low and behold knocked-up at 38 LOL)

There is no magic fix. It will take dedication and work. I am here trying to fend off the "baby" weight.
  • kerri76
    kerri76 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I agree that WLS has it's risks but so does obesity. WLS is a tool and will only work if you follow the rules, just like with any diet. I was banded May 2010 and it is the best thing I have ever done for myself. I have lost 65 lbs and have even started training for a 5k. I have plenty more weight to lose but just losing 65lbs has given me more energy and ability to do more things. Do what you feel is right for you.
  • afyfe1999
    afyfe1999 Posts: 16
    Options

Wow, can we say judgmental?

I guess I am wrong then. I had lapband in July 2008 and I would do it all over again. I had some environmental complications and coupled with stress (poor food choices on my end), I gained many pounds back. WLS is not foolproof, it is only a tool. I am on my way back down again though and recommend it to anyone that has truly done their research and know it is not a "quick" fix.
  • JeanineLaymon1970
    JeanineLaymon1970 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    :smile:

First of all, thank you to everyone who responded. I had no idea that WLS would be such a controversial subject. I have been overweight for about 19 years now. I am an uncontrolled insulin dependant Diabetic, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and working my way towards a stroke or heat attack. Wow.. that is hard to say. I have tried medically supervised, medicated, commercial, and many other weight loss programs. I have also thought about and researched WLS for years. I've reached out to others and from every person I have spoken to... 100% have said a resounding yes to the question would you do it all again?

So that being said... my decision is made *grin* 8 days till gastric bypass. I am nervous and excited, ready to start my life again. So thank you for your feedback!

Those of you that have had WLS, please befriend me! I can use the support. I was also wondering what really heavy people like myself can do to start exercising... Any thoughts?

Jeanine

6960438.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • frogmama
    frogmama Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I was banded June 1, 2009. I have lost 72 pounds and have 3 more to go to make my goal weight. I will do this before my 2 year band anniversary. This is the first time in 23 years that I am no longer overweight. I was a slow starter with the band loosing a total of 25 pounds 6 months after surgery. (11 of this was before surgery) In January 2010, I joined MFP. By careful monitoring, exercise and the help of my band, I am finally a a healthy weight. I couldn't have done it without the band.

You need to do what is best for you. Gastric Bypass, is probably the best thing for you and will help take care of some of your health problems. Good luck on your upcoming surgery and weight loss journey. I would love to be your MFP friend.
  • songofserenity81
    songofserenity81 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I was banded in Dec 2007, would I do it again if I had to...YES. Did I work with the band after the initial honeymoon period, :( no. But I asked my band to help me again in October of 2010 and since then it and I have worked in conjunction with each other to help me get rid of approaching 50lb on top of what I had to lose pre surgery, putting me at 102 loss overall. It is a valuable tool that I will never knowingly neglect to use in the future. Feel free to friend me and good luck with the procedure.
  • justdenise
    justdenise Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I had Lapband in Nov '08. Best thing I have done. I did tons of research. You just gotta know what you are getting into. Still working my way to goal. I could have been there by now, but like everyone said, it's just a tool, and I haven't worked it as hard as I could have. :)
  • Bgriff1974
    Bgriff1974 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I just had lap-band on April 11th. I have lost 37 pounds (including the two week liquid diet prior to surgery! I am so excited.. I wish you the best and would love to hear how you progress!

- Brian
  • widgitwoo
    widgitwoo Posts: 19
    Options
    I am not having it myself but my mum may be having it done in the next year. She is diabetic but on tablets rather than insulin, but she has always been overweight apart from when she did slimming world diet about 10 years ago but she couldn't keep the weight off.
    I would love to hear how it goes and if it works for you as my mum is still in two minds about it all...

I hope it goes well for you. Good luck :)
  • Donnamom3
    Donnamom3 Posts: 3
    Options
    I hope your sugery goes well. I had RNY on 4/11/11. There are alot of adjustments, BUT my co-morbidity issues have all but disappeared. My blood pressure is in control even though I had to stop taking my medicine post op. As I lose the weight, my severe arthritis in my ankles is less of a deterrent to moving. So, I am working out 30 minutes a day cardio. I plan to continue to build on that. I have also just been released to begin strength training. I have lost weight many times in the past through traditional avenues. My choice for WLS was not based on my need to lose weight. It was based on my quality of life. I want to do things with my family. I do not regret my choice at all.
  • mousehousevacs
    Options
    I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one that has looked into WLS but thought twice about it. What has allowed you to be successful in your weight loss?