BMR =/= Maintenance

Options
SaraTonin
SaraTonin Posts: 551 Member
I have seen SO many misinformed posts saying that your basal metabolic rate, or BMR, is your maintenance calories. This is FALSE.

PLEASE stop spreading this misinformation!

Your maintenance calories are the number of calories you expend in a regular day doing your daily activities. This is your TOTAL CALORIE EXPENDITURE for the day. Usually it is about 2000 calories. If you are sedentary, maintenance is calculated as your BMR x 1.2. If you are active, maintenance is your BMR x 1.725.

Your BMR is the BASAL metabolic rate. It is the base amount of calories you spend in a day JUST functioning (breathing, heart beating, etc). These are the calories you expend in a coma. Eating below your BMR is difficult on your body, and can lead to weight loss plateaus as your body does not have enough calories to function.

MyFitnessPal and doctors recommend a goal of 1 pound loss per week for an average person. Otherwise, you risk going under your BMR, which can send your body survival signals and tell it to hold onto fat. This leads to plateaus and unhealthy weight loss. ***

So, for your calorie deficit, you should be eating BETWEEN your Maintenance Calories and your BMR, so between say 2000 and 1200. If your maintenance is 2000 and you want a 500 calorie per day deficit for 1lb loss per week, you would eat 1500 calories per day.

MyFitnessPal often suggests lower numbers because it allows you to eat back your exercise calories.

Make sense?

*** SOME PEOPLE can eat under their BMR healthily because the equation gets thrown off when you are morbidly obese. This is why MFP sets a minimum of 1200 calories for a good guideline.

FINAL ANSWER ::::: Please consult your doctor before you start your diet and exercise plan.

Replies

• bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting. It's sad that people don't know this.

But people get feed crappy info on the regular.
  • Rworthy
    Rworthy Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!! I've been saying this for months!!!!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting!
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    I am 5'7.25" and 134 pounds. My BMR, per MFP, is 1365. To lose 1 pound per week I have to eat 1200 cals/day (plus exercise cals of course). That's below my BMR.
  • Rworthy
    Rworthy Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    If you're 5'7 and 134 pounds - YOU DON'T NEED TO LOSE WEIGHT. In fact, you're probably underweight. What is your fat %? If it is in the normal/healthy category, there is no reason to dip below your BMR.
  • SaraTonin
    Options
    ^ Agreed.

MFP is a dumb tool. It will try to help you get to your goal even if you have already reached an ideal weight.

Another reason to consult with you doctor.
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    If you're 5'7 and 134 pounds - YOU DON'T NEED TO LOSE WEIGHT. In fact, you're probably underweight. What is your fat %? If it is in the normal/healthy category, there is no reason to dip below your BMR.

I am maintaing right now. I just plugged in those numbers to see if MFP said I would lose 1 lb per week at 1200 cal/day. It says 1lb/wk for 1200 cals. Normal weight for someone my height is 119-160.8. My BMI is 20.8. I am in the middle of the "healthy" range. Not sure of my BF%.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Heh... I just made a blog post on this today so I'd have an easy to find place for my "standard" reply to folks using the term BMR incorrectly.

Well said. :drinker:
  • SaraTonin
    Options
    ^^^ Yup, MFP will suggest to go under your BMR if you ask it to do it. This is so obese people don't get told to eat 2400 calories when they can stand to go under their BMR.

Obviously if you don't have weight to lose then set MFP to maintenance!
  • DaniJeanine
    DaniJeanine Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Thank you!!! I was starting to think that the whole world was going crazy! lol. I get so frustrated when I hear people say "I eat 1000 calories a day and I'm still not losing weight! What's the problem?!" The problem is that your body is starving and clinging on to every last calorie you put into it!!! Ugh. Anyway, so good to see this :-)
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    This is good advice and explained clearly so people can understand.

I calculated my BMR yesterday to be 1613, and 2163 is what I burn just being sedentary. Kinda explains why eating 1200-1300 cals a day wasn't working (I gained!)

So my goal is now to et my BMR at 1600 cals a day plus exercise (I eat back 1/2 my exercise calories too)

Thank you for taking the time to explain, I've noticed much misinformation about BMR the last few days. :smile:
  • SaraTonin
    Options
    ^ Good luck! It is tough to explain, especially to really tall people, that their BMR is higher. If only all of this was one-size-fits-all!
  • Mike523
    Mike523 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I have seen SO many misinformed posts saying that your basal metabolic rate, or BMR, is your maintenance calories. This is FALSE.

PLEASE stop spreading this misinformation!

Your maintenance calories are the number of calories you expend in a regular day doing your daily activities. This is your TOTAL CALORIE EXPENDITURE for the day. Usually it is about 2000 calories. If you are sedentary, maintenance is calculated as your BMR x 1.2. If you are active, maintenance is your BMR x 1.725.

Your BMR is the BASAL metabolic rate. It is the base amount of calories you spend in a day JUST functioning (breathing, heart beating, etc). These are the calories you expend in a coma. Eating below your BMR is difficult on your body, and can lead to weight loss plateaus as your body does not have enough calories to function.

MyFitnessPal and doctors recommend a goal of 1 pound loss per week for an average person. Otherwise, you risk going under your BMR, which can send your body survival signals and tell it to hold onto fat. This leads to plateaus and unhealthy weight loss. ***

So, for your calorie deficit, you should be eating BETWEEN your Maintenance Calories and your BMR, so between say 2000 and 1200. If your maintenance is 2000 and you want a 500 calorie per day deficit for 1lb loss per week, you would eat 1500 calories per day.

MyFitnessPal often suggests lower numbers because it allows you to eat back your exercise calories.

Make sense?

*** SOME PEOPLE can eat under their BMR healthily because the equation gets thrown off when you are morbidly obese. This is why MFP sets a minimum of 1200 calories for a good guideline.

FINAL ANSWER ::::: Please consult your doctor before you start your diet and exercise plan.

It's times like these I really wish these boards had a "Like" function.

VERY well said.
  • jackiebo
    jackiebo Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I liked how you likened the BMR to the # of calories someone needs if they're in a coma, that hammers in the info. It's tempting sometimes to "starve" yourself, but it'll eventually come back to bite ya. Thanks for the info, plain and easy to understand!
  • caitlinclock
    caitlinclock Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    AWESOME POST.
  • corpus_validum
    corpus_validum Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Great post Sara!

It's pretty commonplace to get it mixed up here on MFP. I've myself made the mistake of confusing the two on a reply post recently.

Maintenance > BMR
    Maintenance > MFP caloric goal (for weight loss)
    But MFP caloric goal should not be < BMR
  • baisleac
    Options
    Great post Sara!

It's pretty commonplace to get it mixed up here on MFP. I've myself made the mistake of confusing the two on a reply post recently.

Maintenance > BMR
    Maintenance > MFP caloric goal (for weight loss)
    But MFP caloric goal should not be < BMR

Now that would be a nice feature... If MFP could/would set an individual's BMR as their "floor". They have the information necessary to calculate a rough estimate of the number, if the software is able to integrate it.
  • trez8181
    trez8181 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    So my BMR is 1860, my MFP goal calories is 1370 to lose 2 lbs / week...does this mean I should be consuming more calories than 1370?
  • baisleac
    Options
    So my BMR is 1860, my MFP goal calories is 1370 to lose 2 lbs / week...does this mean I should be consuming more calories than 1370?

Yes.

And as a man, 1370 is REALLY too low. Where women have a "base" (and I use that term lightly) of 1200; men have a "base" of 1500.
  • redhead91
    redhead91 Posts: 251
    Options
    I am 5'7.25" and 134 pounds. My BMR, per MFP, is 1365. To lose 1 pound per week I have to eat 1200 cals/day (plus exercise cals of course). That's below my BMR.

I am in a similar situation in which MFP is telling me to eat far below my BMR. My BMR is 1500 and MPF tells me to eat 1200 for 1 lb a week weight loss. Also, I am overweight but not morbidly obese. Please explain this to me!