Please review...

Options
My food chart. I've made it public and would appreciate tips ...

Replies

• cacrat
    cacrat Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    It looks pretty good. If you're doing any weight training I'd boost the protein to over 100g. That means you'll have to cut back on the carbs a bit, but you should be fine.
  • denise980
    denise980 Posts: 296
    Options
    How does your sodium count look? That is something that you might want to look into. If you keep the mg under 2500 then you shouldn't have too much water retention. Something to consider.
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I looked back 3 or 4 days and I'd like to offer some advice with the caveat that I'm much better at giving advice than I am following it myself!

1) Add sodium and sugar to your tracker.... I'm betting with the processed turkey, cheese, ketchup, lean cuisines, you are going over 1500 mg (AHA recommendation) sodium. Then, try to cut out some of those processed things to reduce your sodium

2) I would recommend going to "goals" tab and custom changing your macros, esp. for protein. A suggestion would be 40% carbs, 30% fat, and 30% protein. (and change sodium to 1500 mg while you're there) You can play with carbs and fat a little to suit your needs, but I recommend eating 1 gram of protein per lb of lean body mass (hard to estimate, but 30% of your calories from protein will get you pretty close).

Kudos for trying to make healthier choices. Making small changes is the first step. If you want to take your nutrition to the next level, try a little 8 week challenge to eat cleaner (get rid of processed food).

Here's the link - it's not too hard to follow and helped me change my eating habits for good!

http://www.extremely-fit.com/fitness-tips/2011/01/8week-transition-diet/

One last thing - there's a really yummy ranch dressing made by Bolthouse Farms - Creamy Yogurt Ranch Dressing. It's in the refrigerated section at my grocery store next to bagged salads. Healthier than Hidden Valley Ranch (and I think it tastes better too!)

Good luck!
  • supermann530
    Options
    It looks pretty good. If you're doing any weight training I'd boost the protein to over 100g. That means you'll have to cut back on the carbs a bit, but you should be fine.

I haven't began any weight training yet. I want to get in better cardiovascular shape before I start lifting. Once i do start hitting the weight I plan on adding a protein shake to my morning routine, plus another shake once after my lifting routine.
    I plan on lifting two days per week. Day one I would work out my chest shoulders and triceps. Day two I would work out my back, biceps, and legs. I plan on adding core strength training to both lifting days.
    I haven’t been to a gym regularly in two years so I’m really trying to ease myself back into the lifting routine.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    HHHMmmmm those lean cuisine lunches would concern me - can you swap some of them for home-made meals?
  • supermann530
    Options
    Yeah considering i work from home, i should be able to swap out the Lean cuisine's for a sandwich or a salad. It is just so much easier to warm one of those up instead of making something.
  • supermann530
    Options
    I looked back 3 or 4 days and I'd like to offer some advice with the caveat that I'm much better at giving advice than I am following it myself!

1) Add sodium and sugar to your tracker.... I'm betting with the processed turkey, cheese, ketchup, lean cuisines, you are going over 1500 mg (AHA recommendation) sodium. Then, try to cut out some of those processed things to reduce your sodium

2) I would recommend going to "goals" tab and custom changing your macros, esp. for protein. A suggestion would be 40% carbs, 30% fat, and 30% protein. (and change sodium to 1500 mg while you're there) You can play with carbs and fat a little to suit your needs, but I recommend eating 1 gram of protein per lb of lean body mass (hard to estimate, but 30% of your calories from protein will get you pretty close).

Kudos for trying to make healthier choices. Making small changes is the first step. If you want to take your nutrition to the next level, try a little 8 week challenge to eat cleaner (get rid of processed food).

Here's the link - it's not too hard to follow and helped me change my eating habits for good!

http://www.extremely-fit.com/fitness-tips/2011/01/8week-transition-diet/

One last thing - there's a really yummy ranch dressing made by Bolthouse Farms - Creamy Yogurt Ranch Dressing. It's in the refrigerated section at my grocery store next to bagged salads. Healthier than Hidden Valley Ranch (and I think it tastes better too!)

Good luck!

Thanks.

I've added the sodium tracker. Good luck to me in figuring out how to be under 1500 mg
  • michelle4271
    michelle4271 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Yeah considering i work from home, i should be able to swap out the Lean cuisine's for a sandwich or a salad. It is just so much easier to warm one of those up instead of making something.

if you were to spend one day cooking, you could freeze your own meals in portion size/controlled containers. It can help to keep a variety, and then you will be ahead in no time...for example, when I'm making my dinners, I make one serving more of it and put it to the freezer immediatly, at the end of the week, I have a weeks worth of fresh foods to choose from still keeping variety. these meals become just as easy to re-heat in the oven.

good luck
  • cacrat
    cacrat Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Once you get back into the gym, I'd say it'd be better to do full body workouts on those two days. Working each muscle only once a week only does wonders for those on drugs and bodybuilders (those groups aren't mutually exclusive).