Vitamin Overdose...

Options
So I am on this STRICT diet. Because I choose to be...

With that being said... I have been taking prenatal vitamins to help my hair grow because I am trying to grow it out but here lately I have been taking two doses instead of one.

What are the side effects of vitamin overdose and how will I know I am taking to much?

Just curious... I havent had any problems but I dont know what to look for.

Replies

• momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    For your hair? Really?
  • sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    on glee sue takes a bunch of gummy vitamins to try and kill herself.. it doesnt work...
    anyway i would be careful, and I would take ones that are specifically formulated for hair growth, not prenatal ones.. you should probally talk to your doctor...
  • adellepuppy
    adellepuppy Posts: 130
    Options
    A lot of women experience constipation from the levels of iron in prenatal vitamins. Doubling the dose might just shut you down completely. Be careful with that.
  • lindsaylove07
    lindsaylove07 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    It helps your hair and nails grow. It also works as a good practical joke on your dad :)
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Do a little online research. Some vitamins and minerals (like vitamin A) get stored in our body and can build up to toxic amounts. Other vitamins and minerals (like calcium) will get used and then excess will be removed when we pee.

I'm not sure on all of them though. I've heard that Biotin is great for hair and nails.
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Do a little online research. Some vitamins and minerals (like vitamin A) get stored in our body and can build up to toxic amounts. Other vitamins and minerals (like calcium) will get used and then excess will be removed when we pee.

I'm not sure on all of them though. I've heard that Biotin is great for hair and nails.

Yep, vitamins A, D, E, and K are fat soluable so they don't flush out of your body if you have too much. I don't know the exact limits on all of them, but I know vitamis D you shouldn't have more than 2500 mg a day.

Good luck!
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    i take biotin and iron for my hair *S* it is really helping (it had been thinning before and now looking great again!)
  • marci355
    marci355 Posts: 292
    Options
    Depends on what is in there. The human body stores fat soluble vitamins and you can go overboard on those. Vitamin A, E, K and iron is fat soluble. The water soluble ones, your body does not store and you will flush out excess in your urine. If you want to get a vitamin that will help with hair growth take 5000mg of biotin a day. I lost about half the hair on my head, after my gastric bypass surgery. The biotin helped a lot. That and keeping it shoulder length until the little nubbins grew out to match the length of my hair. Try the biotin, along with just one prenatal. You can get them at any vitamin store. No, I'm not a doctor, just someone who used to work at a vitamin store.
  • ahanson6
    ahanson6 Posts: 102
    Options
    It's impossible to know what you could be overdosing on without knowing the composition of your vitamins, but any vitamin or mineral that is fat soluble can be overdosed on. Some fat soluble vitamins can cause severe liver and kidney problems and issues with digestion. I wouldn't take more than one dose per day.
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    Double dose of prenatals?? really?? and you are not pregnant?? Good luck trying to poop.
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Too many problems to list! For hair, take Biotin!!!!
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    Okay I'll state the obvious...if you eat regular food and a regular diet, you're hair will be just fine. 800 calories a day. Not good.

You are 21 years old, a fast enough metabolism to do this "the hard way" with diet and exercise. I dont want to sound all Momish but think of your two kids, they dont give a crap if your hair looks nice or if you are bone thin, they just want their mom around.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    So I am on this STRICT diet. Because I choose to be...

With that being said... I have been taking prenatal vitamins to help my hair grow because I am trying to grow it out but here lately I have been taking two doses instead of one.

What are the side effects of vitamin overdose and how will I know I am taking to much?

Just curious... I havent had any problems but I dont know what to look for.

You should discuss your plans with your doctor. A daily goal of 800 calories is totally unsafe and is in fact dangerous! You do know that among other problems of an 800 calorie a day diet, it will eventually cause your hair to fall out? Right?

Doubling up on prenatal vitamins is also dangerous. As others have mentioned, you'll end up with toxic levels of fat-soluble vitamins and some minerals.

As a mom of two, one would think you'd be more concerned with making sure you remain healthy enough to care for them.
  • amelia_atlantic
    amelia_atlantic Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    Yes! Some vitamins are not easily absorbed into the body. Not to mention, each prenatal is basically nutrients for 1.5 people!

Take biotin and paitience to grow your hair. It's not worth damaging your body...
  • cupotee
    cupotee Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Another is that some supplemented organic compounds act like hormones. Your body produces some coenzymes naturally but these coenzymes r under managed by negative feedback. If u flood ur body with supplements, ur body will cease production of these enz. The rate of production may not fully recover even after u stop dieting. So be careful :)
  • PNWriter
    PNWriter Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Biotin and ONE multivitamin. Just ONE. Don't be ridiculous.
  • xxMsComptonxx
    Options
    Biotin! I will get it ASAP.
  • seemichellerun
    Options
    It's clear that you're doing this for vanity and not for health.

Biotin and upping your calories. 800 calories will most likely cause your hair to fall out from the nutrient deficiency. Make sure you're getting enough protein, calcium, and iron.
  • ♥Faerie♥
    ♥Faerie♥ Posts: 14,053 Member
    Options
    I always take Biotin, it really does help the hair♥
  • DarkAngel864
    DarkAngel864 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Back off the OP..she's asking about vitamins and haircare, not asking to be judged and lectured...