Hungry Girl 300 under 300 - should I buy this?

Options
celesteadams1119
celesteadams1119 Posts: 7 Member
I really love to try new recipes/cooking. I have over 300 cookbooks (crazy, right?!). The thing is though, I never know how many calories are in what I'm cooking. I try to make healthy substitutions for ingredients, but I still just don't know exactly the number of calories in it.

I'm a big fan of Hungry Girl! I get her e-mails with snack advice, etc.., but I've never tried her recipes. Has anyone looked into her new book, 300 under 300? 300 is an amazing number of calories for dinner for me. It's usually what I shoot for. Anyone try the recipes? Should I make the $10 splurge (haha!)

Replies

• kehowe83
    kehowe83 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I borrowed mine from a friend and she is never getting it back! lol
    I love that she offers such a wide breadth of otpions to eat, so there is no boredom
    also, she uses every day ingredients that are easy to find in the stores and are not really expensive
  • redhawksyncsk8r
    Options
    I love 300 Under 300! The recipes are great -- just make sure you check the sodium and sugar levels because sometimes those can creep up on you. So far, I've had the cheeseburger parfaits, BLT pizza, and cheesesteak salad - delicious!
  • JujiBean
    JujiBean Posts: 187
    Options
    I would say since you have such a passion for cookbooks, $10.00 is not really much to spend for something that will nourish your soul! Think how much fun you'll get out of it.
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I've only seen her show once and I'm not a big fan. I just never liked the "substitution" method of dieting since I know what the bad version taste like (and usually like it more).

Maybe I haven't given her a fair chance and should look into her again.

Can you download her recipes from her site?
  • farabovepearls
    farabovepearls Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Yes...yes...yes! It is a great book...try her crunchy drumsticks...amazing cook book!
  • kstel
    kstel Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    i wanted to buy it but when i looked threw it the the sodium looked HIGH on alot of the recipes. So i didn't bother buying it. But i am a huge fan of HG!!
  • dragonflydi
    dragonflydi Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I never know how many calories are in what I'm cooking. I try to make healthy substitutions for ingredients, but I still just don't know exactly the number of calories in it.

Try using the recipe setting on MFP. You put in the ingredients (use your subs) and how many servings the recipe makes and it will tell you the total and the calories per serving.
  • ace175
    ace175 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Yes! I bought it a while ago at Walmart and I love it!!!
  • charding40
    Options
    i went out and bought it this weekend and have read it cover to cover and its awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!! love love love the recipies! but make sure to keep an eye on the sodium count cause some of them are a little high but she sure does have some great recipies i am happy i bought it :)))))
  • celesteadams1119
    celesteadams1119 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I never know how many calories are in what I'm cooking. I try to make healthy substitutions for ingredients, but I still just don't know exactly the number of calories in it.

Try using the recipe setting on MFP. You put in the ingredients (use your subs) and how many servings the recipe makes and it will tell you the total and the calories per serving.

Ohhhh - never even realized that was there! THANK YOU!

Thanks everyone - I guess I'll go out and buy it today!
  • KTCali
    KTCali Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I checked out her 200 under 200 from the local library... I wrote down the ones I liked and retuned it. LOL is that cheating? :) That may be another option if you want to save $$$ :flowerforyou:

5151543.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter