Taking Measurements

mustnothrowcantelopes
mustnothrowcantelopes Posts: 116 Member
edited September 26 in Health and Weight Loss
A lot of people with the posts I've been making lately , regarding losing weight, have suggested that I take measurements and I decided that I'm going to follow that advice even though I'm nervous about it. Can anyone direct me to a video or website or tutorial on how to take measurements accurately?

By taking measurements accurately, I mean, when I measure my waist, am I supposed to measure my waistline where I wear my pants or wear my 'natural waistline' falls, because my natural waistline is a lot higher than where I wear my pants. Also, since I have no curve to my hips, how do I know where to measure my hips and when I'm supposed to measure my bust, do I measure my bust by bringing the tape measure around my under bust ? Where does it go?

Replies

• jodiking
    jodiking Posts: 30
    It doesn't really matter where exactly you take the measurements as long as you take them from the same spot each time. I don't personally take measurement...although I may start...but that is what I have heard and it makes very much sense to me! Hope that helps = )
  • TNAJackson
    TNAJackson Posts: 686 Member
    I'm so glad you asked this question! I've been wondering the same thing!! I'm all for measuring, but I too never learned how to do it properly and therefore, have never done it.
  • JesaGrace
    JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
    I found this....I just haven't gotten around to measuring yet...hope it helps....

http://www.weight-loss-program.com/art13-taking-measurements.html
  • You measure your WAIST at the narrowest part of your torso/stomach.

You measure your HIPS at the widest part of your torso stomach.

You measure your THIGHS at the widest part of your thighs.

You measure your BUST around the fullest part of your bosom - across the nipples.

HTH!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,337 Member
    You can measure wherever you like, as lazywriter says, usually at the fullest point on bust and hips, and the smallest point on waist.

I also use the bra-band measurement and the three-fingers-below-my-navel measurement: since I have adipose fat problems, and narrow(er) hips.

Just pick the ones you are most concerned with and do the same ones every week or two for comparison.
  • Here are a couple of websites that might help:
    http://www.scientificpsychic.com/fitness/diet.html
    http://www.healthcentral.com/cholesterol/home-body-fat-test-2774-143.html (I really like this one - it's pretty thorough)

I'm not doing it right now (I will soon-ish), but in the past I've gotten a lot of satisfaction out of measurements. I can see changes in the measurements more quickly than on the scale.

Be sure to keep the tape measure even. For example, when you measure your hips, make sure the tape measure is is parallel with the floor.
  • ocsurfmama
    ocsurfmama Posts: 127
    Lazywriter gave you some good guidelines. I also measure other areas so I have a more detailed picture of the most body mast lost.
    ** areas are added measurements that I take that were not mentioned:
    -**Neck
    -Bust
    -**Under Breast, just where the bottom of your bra would sit.
    -Waist (your natural waist) I measure right across my belly button
    -Hips
    -Thigh
    -**Calves
    -**Upper arms
    -**Lower arms, 2 inches below elbow

I am glad I do the extra measurements because one week I had lost 2 inches overall in the neck and arms because of my upper body strengthening training!
This discussion has been closed.