Weights before Cardio?

Options
Has anyone read the following article about doing weights before cardio? I always thought it was the other way around. Just looking on what people think, or if anyone does it this way.

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/training-day/201104/warm-cardio-then-go-weights-right-wrong

Replies

• clohessy
    clohessy Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Yep they all say weights before cardio.
  • kngpin300
    Options
    Funny thing I just started reading this!
  • Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    there was a thread about this earlier today with the same article in

makes sense to me - did exactly that today, only I still had some time left at the end so went back and did another round on the weights (not allowed to do more cardio when the gym's busy as we have to give the machines up for others)
  • Crystals422
    Crystals422 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    2 trainers told me wieghts before carido. Do a 5-10 warmup with cardio, then weights, then cardio.
  • acureese
    acureese Posts: 169
    Options
    I'm training for a figure competition right now, and yeah same thing for me. Cardio first= not as much strength to lift. Aside from what she mentions, if you're looking to put on muscle/tone up, lift first to get the most out of your workout (I definitely don't lift as heavy if I do too much cardio first), then use what energy's left for cardio. :)
  • MereRae
    MereRae Posts: 39
    Options
    I have always done weights before cardio....mainly because I am worthless after a good cardio session:)
  • mpdes
    mpdes Posts: 40
    Options
    Interesting article.
    Althought they don't explain what you should do while doing interval training (3 mins cardio-1 1/2 mins weights)...
    I'm not sure about one of the last paragraphs where she says that it's better to do weights than cardio... Hard to tell.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Don't have to read any article. I wouldn't worry about what comes first if you are only doing a few minutes of each (30-Day shred does both).

Doing cardio first will wipe you out so you don't get the benefits of weights. And doing weights first will use up your glycogen stores so when you hit the cardio your body is all ready for fat burning (It takes about 20 minutes of cardio before it starts digging into your fat stores).

Most people will recommend weights before cardio.
  • cccathyyy
    cccathyyy Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I actually have only focused on cardio for this part of my journey so far (75 lbs lost)... but wanted to get some strength training started, so I found it very interesting. Now that a lot of you have put in comments, it makes more sense for sure. Thanks for the input! :)