candida, gluten intolerance, eating disorders...help!

Options
I'm new to myfitnesspal and am looking for advice from folks who struggle with food intolerance. Over the past few years, I've noticed a lot of weird patterns in my eating behavior. Whenever i try to reintroduce sugar and gluten products, i start to binge eat and have stomach problems. I've been gluten free for about a year and just started a candida detox about a month ago. I used to struggle with bulimia (from the age of 15 to 21) and have since found it pretty difficult to lose weight, no matter how well i eat. I'm feeling a lot better these days, but I'm still experiencing some difficulty with food sensitivities. Lately, I've had to cut out quite a few of my favorite fruits...anything too sugary seems to make me feel lightheaded and nauseous : ( Is anyone else on here struggling with something similar?

Replies

• SOOZIE429
    SOOZIE429 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Hi Ashley,

I was on a quest to stop these chronic yeast infections I was having for about a year. I found several websites that helped with the candida diet. You may know them already:

yeastinfectionadvisor.com
    theyeastdiet.com
    yeastinfectionnomore.com

However, I found a way of eating that's very similar to the candida diet. It's called Paleo or Primal or Caveman. But anyway, it omits all grains from your diet, including pastas, breads, and rice. I have not had an infection in 26 days since starting Paleo. I really like it and find I don't miss any grains. They also suggest in the weigh loss phase to stay away from fruit.

marksdailyapple.com
    robbwolf.com
    thepaleodiet.com

So you may want to try it. There's a bunch of us on MFP for support.

Best of luck
    Susan
  • ashleymcquown
    Options
    Yes! I just got the Primal Blueprint Cookbook a few weeks ago. There are some great recipes on there. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one struggling with multiple forms of food intolerance. Thank you for your post and please contact me for support anytime : )

Ashley
  • SOOZIE429
    SOOZIE429 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    That's great cookbook, so I've heard. There's also Everyday Paleo. However, that's a tough one to find since it's flying off the shelves!

You can also find a ton of recipes on line on Robb Wolf's forum, and the Primal man himself, marksdailyapple.com.

Sending you a friend request :)
  • shortbutsweet209
    Options
    Hey,
    I've definitely dealt with my fair share of eating issues. Not only am I recovering from bulimia/ restricting, but I also have horrible stomach problems. I usually get 1-2 stomach aches a day, this is not due to the bulimia, this has been going on since I was about 5. I've tried gluten free, dairy free, pretty much everything, but nothing seems to work.
    I've had a ton of tests done, the doctors just say that it is acid, but the medication doesn't help much either.
  • ashleymcquown
    Options
    Trust me, you're not alone. I've never been able to get tests done so I'm more or less self diagnosed. It's hard because it seems like that my tolerance changes all the time. I ate apples for the longest time and just started to notice that they're giving me problems. I can't handle sugar, most grains, and most fruit. I recently tried cutting dairy aside from sour cream and butter. I also struggle with binge eating, so I try to avoid my triggering foods. I feel like a crazy person whenever I try to explain to friends that some foods just "set me off". It can be pretty alienating but I'm trying to stick to how my body responds and use that as a guide. If you need support, please let me know. It's comforting to know that I'm not alone...
  • ashleymcquown
    Options
    Also, acidity has caused some problems for me as well (coffee and tomatoes are two culprits). You might want to look into managing your body's PH through diet...not something I've tried myself but worth checking out. Hang in there.