Colitis

Options
So I was diagnosed with colitis about a year ago and am wondering if anyone on here has some good tips for maintaining nutrition and diet during a flare? I am having my first true "flare" that isn't related to another infection and having a terrible time getting adequate nutrition. I don't wanna go into starvation mode, but its hard to tolerate the vegetarian diet I usually follow. Particular issues for me are getting enough sodium and potassium, but calories in general are also a concern. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• BethFox
    BethFox Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    My husband has colitis and has begun following the Maker's Diet (http://www.makers-diet.net/).

His colitis is still giving him issues, but his overall health is improving. We've become probiotic junkies! Seems to help a bit. Good luck!
  • EvelynForsyth
    EvelynForsyth Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Hello!
    Im so glad you posted, i was literally wondering about other people with colitis about an hour ago. I had U/C from 11 years old until 17 when i had my intestine removed and a J Pouch fitted with an ilesotomy fitted during the healing process. I was in and out of hospital and struggling to get to school and have a social life so surgery became my only option buti can happily say, it is the best thing i've ever done.
    I tried many different diets to helpme get to school (including one which involved drinking worms eggs so they would release immune system balancing chemicals onto my intestine wall.blurgh!) and found that eating less gluten and fruit/veg helped keep wind down and obviously less fibre helps with lessening the toilet trips. Eggs, banana and apple sauce (the type you eat with pork!) can help to bind your um..'waste' together!
    I can point you in the directions of lots of support groups and lotsof information,my dad is now somewhat of an expert in his attempt to cure me without surgery.
    Please feel free to add me, i will answer any questions you have.
    Evelyn
  • r99samigrl
    Options
    I am sorry to hear how much you have had to go through so young! I have tried the low residue diet, but it didn't seem to help. I also have had C.Diff multiple times this past year, so that has made things harder. I'm finally C.Diff free and 6 weeks later I get a flare :( I have been doing lots of probiotics (Florastor and acidophilus). I was trying to eat less processed food for my health and weight loss as well as my GERD (not allowed to take any PPI's for it because of the C.Diff). Hopefully we can support each other through here! Do you take any nutritional supplements? I have been mixing my own Carnation Instant Breakfast with lactose free milk, but if you know of any others, I'm willing to try anything.
  • EvelynForsyth
    EvelynForsyth Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I actually dont take aany suppliments apart from iron and calcium both of which were recommneded bymy doctor because i am sometimes aneamic and those with colitis often dont absorb enough calcium and it can affect your bone density (especially if using certain types of hormonal contraception). I dont really domuch else,i try not to run as for some reason i just cant do it,makes me desperate for the bathroom and i make sure to drinkplenty so im always hydrated.
    Thats about it! Sorry im not much help but again, if you have any questions im sure i can answer them :)