Just signed up for my 1st 1/2 Marathon next month!

Options
Hi all,
I started running last Feb (when I wasn't even able to run to the end of my block) and now have actually had a couple long runs that have reached 10 miles (with some walk breaks.) So, I have officially signed up for my first 1/2 marathon which is coming up on Sunday, 5/22 and I am absolutely terrified! It is consuming me! It is all I think about. Wondering if I will finish, how it will go, what to eat before, if my stomach can handle the run, etc. I am so stressed about this darn run when I should just be looking forward to the opportunity of accomplishing a goal I have never imagined possible. But first, I need to have the confidence to know that I can finish! I need to at least get up to 11 or 12 miles in my training runs so I know that my body can handle it.

Any one have any other tips or suggestions to make me a little less crazy and stressed out? I know I won't sleep at all the night before the race because of nerves. I can't wait until it's all over so I can stop being so obsessed!

Thanks for your advice!
Lord knows, I need it!

Replies

• Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    You can finish - if you can run 10 miles, you can run 13 (point one:) Just make sure when you race you don't do anything differently than you've done on other long runs....no new clothes or shoes, eat the same, drink the same. And don't indulge in any exotic cuisine the night before!

And don't doubt yourself - you can do it! You've got plenty of time to add in a few long runs. Good luck!!
  • Hcrowson
    Hcrowson Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    First of all, you have made a big accomplishment by signing up....second, why are you stressing. Who is going to be upset with you or be disappointed? Only you. You are pressuring yourself. Set some small goals in the race for yourself. Such as I want to finish half of the race. Or use this race in your mind as a learning experience so that you will be well equipped for the next one. You never know until you try it. You can do it. Faith is half the battle. Good luck!
  • WildflowerAL
    WildflowerAL Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    You have ran a couple of 10 milers--the half will be no problem. Relax, have fun, wave to the spectators--don't over think!!

Drive the route prior to race day so you can get a feel for it. Come up with a plan prior to the race--what pace you want to run the first miles, where you want to take a break, etc.

Don't eat or drink anything 'new' (that you have not consumed before) the day before or the morning of the race. If you use any energy supplements (gu, sports Blocks, etc) carry your own. There are usually port-a-pottys on the routes of most races. Don't wear clothing you haven't run in before (you don't want to learn on mile 9 that those shorts rub your booty raw!!

Above all---Have lots and lots of fun!!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    If you have done ten before then do 11 or 12 the next time. Make sure your last long run is two weeks before the race and taper your training the last week to be rested.

If you can do ten you can finish the 13. Don't worry.

SInce this is your first, be sure not to start out too fast. You should have some idea of what pace you can maintain based on your ten mile runs. Don't worry too much about your time. Set your mark on the wall with the first one and then you will have something to beat the next time.
  • Fernandomike
    Fernandomike Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I am running in my first one Saturday and have some of the same concerns. Commit to upping your training runs and commit to finishing the half. That's all the advice this novice has. The reason that I think I'll get over the hump is because I am determined to. Best of luck.
  • BethFox
    BethFox Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the same thing! Only mine is scheduled the day before yours. If some of your runs have reached 10 miles I think you'll have no problem reaching the 13.whatever the 1/2 marathon is.

What I've been told about training...

1. Get in 3-4 small runs a week (2-4 miles)
    2. Do some cross training (something different and fun- I rebound and lift free weights on "off" days)
    3. Do only one "major" run a week, and the distance of that should vary as well (last week I did 11 miles, tonight I'll run 8).

Remember even though it's called a race, the only person you're really racing is yourself, so be a good sport and give yourself a break. ;)
  • Refisblind
    Refisblind Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    That is so awesome, Inspiring I should say. I signed up for the Rock n Roll 1/2 in November and I am scared too. I just started running yesterday but if I don't give myself a goal I won't stick with it and I am too cheap to spend the money for sign up not to do it. If you are running 10 then you will make it. Good luck on everything and just remind yourself that you are prepared and it will go easy. Let us know how everything is going.
  • AndreaWyland
    AndreaWyland Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    http://www.runnersworld.com/article/1,7120,s6-238-244--13919-0,00.html A MUST read:) Youll do great!!!!!! I have run 1 half marathon, doing my next June 12 and my next one after that in October. Im nervous but I know Ill finish. Like others have said, if you can run 10 miles you can run 13. When youre running it you just dig deep and push through and finish:) The adrenalin and power you get from the race itself not to mention the hundreds of other runners (some of whom feel the same way you do) gets you through it:) Good luck!
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    I started running last Feb (when I wasn't even able to run to the end of my block) and now have actually had a couple long runs that have reached 10 miles (with some walk breaks.) So, I have officially signed up for my first 1/2 marathon which is coming up on Sunday, 5/22 and I am absolutely terrified! It is consuming me! It is all I think about. Wondering if I will finish, how it will go, what to eat before, if my stomach can handle the run, etc. I am so stressed about this darn run when I should just be looking forward to the opportunity of accomplishing a goal I have never imagined possible. But first, I need to have the confidence to know that I can finish! I need to at least get up to 11 or 12 miles in my training runs so I know that my body can handle it.

Any one have any other tips or suggestions to make me a little less crazy and stressed out? I know I won't sleep at all the night before the race because of nerves. I can't wait until it's all over so I can stop being so obsessed!

Thanks for your advice!
    Lord knows, I need it!

Welcome to the world of Half marathons... a couple of things that'll help;

1. Adrenaline... running your first race is always an exciting event. I was told on my first full marathon to only worry about training for 20 miles... Adrenaline would carry me the rest of the way. By translation you've already trained up to 10 miles...you are large portion of the way there... BTW -Yes, I would train for the full 13.1 miles and yes walking breaks are allowed!
    2. When we go on a training run, we often subsist on whatever we can carry... i.e. small bottle of gatorade etc... in a half or full marathon... they give you FREE GATORADE every mile or two... Yay! Hope you like whatever flavor they provide... learn to fold the cup and drink on the run.
    3. It's only 13 miles. Are you expecting to win? Don't... it's your first... work to finish the run! Enjoy it!
    4. Seeing as We've already established #3... slow down and enjoy the sights! Take it all in! Run your own pace... a rookie mistake would be trying to keep up to the front of the pack. Don't let that massive throng of people dictate your pace. You will wear yourself out quickly and then you won't finish.
    5. I have run several half marathons and a few full ones... Why be nervous? it's a waste of energy. Only 2% of the population has ever completed a marathon... probably higher for a half... but that still means 90+% haven't even tried. You are ahead of the game.
    6. Lastly, there are all types of people who run half marathons... nobody will judge anybody else, we celebrate in each others successes and support each other in defeat. From the 8 year old who accidentally completed the Manitoba Marathon, to the octegenarian who has run every instance of the Boston Marathon... speed doesn't matter. Your time doesn't matter... Its all in the effort!

I applaud you for having the courage to try. If you do need advice, or a need a pep talk, please feel free to add me.

Good Luck! God Bless!
  • bbbbb33333
    bbbbb33333 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    I usually work up by slowly increasing miles over a couple of months to get my body used to running the distance. I agree that if you have recently run 10 miles, you should be fine. I would probably bring at least one gel pack with you to ensure you don't deplete your carbs and crash. It happened to me when I was training for my first 1/2 marathon (or the 1 marathon I did). I ran late in the day (long after lunch) and only brought water. After ~ 1 1/2 hours I started feeling weird. I felt extremely suggish and not completely in control. On the drive home I stopped for a soda (unfortunately I got a diet soda and it did not help). It wasn't until an hour or so later at home that I recovered (after eating a banana, popcycle, and lots of hydration). I found out later that if you run for a very long time you can deplete your carbs and bonk. Now I run with gatorade and take a gel pack after 1 1/2 hrs
  • kimandal99
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the support and advice! This website is awesome and so are all of you!!!!! Your encouragement is priceless! I will keep plugging away and pray for good weather over the upcoming weekends so I can try to bump up my long runs to 11 or 12 miles, or at least try to feel more comfortable with the 10 milers. At this point, they still pretty much suck. LOL!

I will definitely let you all know what the outcome is. At this point, (since I am not a fast runner by any means) I am hoping to just finish the race, without tripping or having a bathroom accident and to not be the last person who crosses that finish line. :)