Pimp your cottage cheese!

Options
Laura_beau
Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
Flavoured cottage cheese is often twice as expensive as their plain counterparts. Try 'pimiping' your natural cottage cheese for a tasty low cal snack/lunch. here's some ideas- and feel free to add your own!

*Green/Red pesto- 1-2tsps. (Even better is you can get the low fat pesto's)
*Harissa Paste & Fresh Corriander (Cilantro) 1tsp.
* Jalapeno peppers.
* Garlic/Garlic salt & chives
* Cucumber & Mint (Tastes like tzatziki)
* Sweet chilli sauce- 2tsps.
* Roasted red peppers
* Curry powder (To taste)
* Cracked black pepper
* Pinapple & fresh red chilli (yes, it works!)
* Spring onions
* Hardboiled egg & Cress
* Cherry tomato & Basil
* Mixed seeds (Sunflower/poppy/sesame)
* Flaxseed (Good for healthy bowel movements!)

Sweet Flavours:(Sweeten with a little splenda if you like)

*Rasberries/ Blueberries/ Strawberries.
* Granola/Oatmeal
* Mixed Nuts & Honey
* Apple slices
* Lemon zest & Juice
* Melon
* Satsuma?Tangerine segments & Zest.

Hope thats food for thought- my personal faves are the pesto, sweet chilli, tomato & basil and cucumber & mint ones!

Replies

• Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I forgot hot sauce- a little goes a long way, and stops you from eating the entire tub as its fiery!!!
  • CassieLEO
    CassieLEO Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    I use the powdered good seasons salad dressing mix. A half a tsp of that in a serving of Cottage cheese is delicious!
  • jackypoo
    jackypoo Posts: 7
    Options
    These are great ideas! I also mix my cottage cheese with a low cal cereal like cheerios and it tastes yummy!
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas! LOVE the title haha
  • FaithandFitness
    FaithandFitness Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    If you have a super sweet craving you can add some sugar free jello mix (not too much, a little goes a long way) and some pineapple. It will take your sweet craving away.
  • lulu1962
    lulu1962 Posts: 210
    Options
    Cottage cheese, yogurt & unsalted sunflower seeds mixed together! Yummmmm!
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    I put mandarin orange segments or pineapple bits in mine. I don't like the ones that come with the fruit on the side. They are too syrupy sweet, it's like putting jelly in your cottage cheese.

Crackers are good with cottage cheese too.
  • Foxworth81
    Foxworth81 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • doodles80
    doodles80 Posts: 59
    Options
    Great ideas...will definately try the pesto! Thanks :)
  • oxHayleyxo
    Options
    I love the title of this, good ideas thanks!!
  • curvygirl512
    curvygirl512 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Put cottage cheese on top of your baked potato instead of butter, sour cream or cheese. Then top with herbs like parsley, dill, garlic, rosemary. Also very filling--This and a vegetable are sometimes all I eat for dinner.
  • sweetsarahj
    sweetsarahj Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Bump to put in my topics!
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    I add a squirt of tomato puree, a good pinch of cayenne pepper and a handful of prawns, stir it all in and you have a cottage cheese prawn cocktail

Another I do is stir in some curry powder, sultanas, chopped chicken breast, a sprinkle of desiccated coconut for coronation chicken, if your cottage cheese is on the dry side you'll need a tablespoon of plain yoghurt/extra light mayo added.

I have always loved cottage cheese but its got to be savoury...couldnt even look at it sweet
  • magicretreat
    magicretreat Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I actually just had an egg salad/cottage cheese sandwich. LOL. Mix 1/3 cup ff cottage cheese with 1 whole hardboiled egg and 1 hardboiled egg white. Add a little salt and maybe a little mustard for flavor, or any other seasonings you may like. Makes a nice serving for one person. :D
  • CrankyButt
    Options
    Awesome ideas. I've also discovered that when craving cheesecake, blending cottage cheese with a bit of sweetener gives it a lovely, super-creamy texture that satisfies. Add some berries and/or some graham crackers or cereal and you've got a yummy dessert/snack.
  • lisaloo85
    lisaloo85 Posts: 81
    Options
    bump
  • KTCali
    KTCali Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this! I was just looking for some add-in ideas today. I think I will try that prawn cocktail Cat was talking about ...sounds amazing!!! Too bad cottage cheese is so high in sodium ...I could eat a whole tub :grumble:

5151543.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • happychix
    happychix Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I love plain ol' cottage cheese on anything toasted, so yum!
  • music_lover_103
    Options
    1/2 c cottage cheese + 1/2 tbs peach jam + 2 tbs reddi wip = 130 calories of deliciousness
  • koizumi6
    koizumi6 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    my friend introduced me to Salsa on cottage cheese and it's delicious! I also like cottage cheese on salad